The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 17, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Anybody make their own Texas Ranger Star?

Gainesville coins is selling some 5% silver pesos for spot. I'm buying them to make inlays and maybe even a TX Ranger Star (hey, it's for fun and one day I may get into CAS) for myself. Anybody ever make one?
Old July 17, 2014, 07:37 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Sounds like a fun project Gary. I wouldn't think it would be too hard with a jewelers saw. Can't be any harder than cutting out inlays. I didn't google it so will ask - have you found a good close up photo of an original to follow?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 18, 2014, 12:50 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

No. I should write the Ranger Museum in Waco.
Old July 20, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

This should get you started on pictures:

http://www.google.com/search?q=texas...=1600&bih=1081

TK
Old July 29, 2014, 09:37 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Got the coins on Saturday. Now I need the time. Thank you TidewaterKid for the images.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:24 AM   #6
captneil19

making stars

Well u want to cast,too start with I have done that for years,an the equip.is costly,u do what is called the lost wax process.For someone to just piddle around with its not worth buying all that stuff.You would be better off just buying a piece of plate an a jewellers saw an cutting them out,but you can go on line an buy them cheap,u.s.marshals badges. Not trying to change your mind just trying to save you some money,if you want to talk to me about it feel free to contact me T my email.
Old July 29, 2014, 05:19 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

captneil19 - I don' believe the original ones were "cast" - they were cut out of silver pesos which were readily available in Texas

I've done the lost wax process many years with spring loaded centrifugal caster. We made wax patterns, cast them in plaster and then melted the wax out to make the cavity complete with sprues and risers. We mainly did rings, etc. I had a friend who worked his way through college using wheat straw for a patter and actual bumble bees (dead ones) as well. He cast them out of silver mostly and then mounted the shaft of straw in a nice walnut block with the bee attached to the straw head . He sold quite a few of them to professors. He should have been an artist - he became an electrician.

I'm not sure how the original Ranger badges were made as I haven't seen one in person. I don't know if they were just cut out of a flat peso or if the peso was domed and then had the star cut.

I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with Gary. It's my understanding that the first badges were of course "hand made" so that leaves you a lot of room to be creative!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 29, 2014, 11:36 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Drill or jeweler's saw and file. I'd get some form to hammer it around to give it a convex shape. Then graver bits (if I can find them) for the wording.

BTW, was working on a double barrel muzzle loading shotgun today. Spent three hours removing rust from one barrel. Need to bring my honing tools to clean the bore. I think it's English made and "London Twist" is on the barrel. Waiting for the proof marks so I can share it with you guys (in a new thread).