The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 11, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
hootey

Mossberg/Duck Commander ? ?

"Mossberg/Duck Commander fall 2013"
This is the now on the Mossberg website. Anyone know anything or heard any believable rumors? Just wondering if the good ole folks at Mossberg are coming out with a new line that will make us all "Happy Happy Happy?"

Last edited by hootey; July 11, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old July 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
seeker_two

Quote:
Just wondering if the good ole folks at Mossberg are coming out with a new line that will make us all "Happy Happy Happy?"
Just as long as the new guns aren't designed by Si.....
Old July 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Likely just a contract deal where regular gun models will get "special" laser engraved logo on the receiver and may even come with a special sticker on the stock... all for an added 25-35% on the MSRP...

Much like the "special" blackwater badged guns...

Gotta love them for trying to be on the forefront of marketing whatever hype is selling today...

And I swear they had one shotgun that had a weedeater handle on it...

Brent
Old July 11, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

That was a chainsaw handle. Ever so much more manly than a weedeater.

What I can't figure out from the picture on Mossberg's site is how yer sposta use the white dot sight while holding the chainsaw handle...
Old July 11, 2013, 06:42 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry Vanya... That is what Mossberg would lead their "Manly" tacticool buyers to believe...

But here is your average chainsaw "handle"...

And here is an image of a replacement weedeater handle...

Hopefully this tidbit of truth won't hurt their bottom line too much though... I know that "manly" demographic is highly sought after...

Brent
Old July 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Re: Mossberg/Duck Commander ? ?

I thought they were sponsored by Benelli.... If they have to shoot Mossbergs now then that is a serious downgrade...
Old July 11, 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
seeker_two

....and I thought I saw a few episodes where Willie was toting a Glock....maybe he and Gunny R. Lee Ermey should team up?....
Old July 11, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
drcook

If you watch the shows and pay close attention to the guns, you will see Phil shooting an A5 a lot.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Mezzanine

So heres how it goes, duck commander gets paid boatloads to let mossberg put their name/logo on the receiver, duck commander has absolutely nothing to do with the shotgun except releasing their name to mossberg, mossberg increases their margins on every shotgun sold with the duck commander name because it has the duck commander name and people are willing to pay a higher price because they saw it on tv and assume it must be better. And duck dynasty will suddenly be flooded with mossberg firearms the next season too, because as the line on the show will say "they just shoot better"
Old July 12, 2013, 12:46 AM   #10
OttoJara

Si is always carrying around an old Marlin 60 with a scope on it too. I think they shoot what they like and are owned by no one.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old July 12, 2013, 01:26 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Benelli is the main sponsor of the show Duck Commander, but I guess that is just the show and not a sponsor of the company.
Old July 12, 2013, 02:16 AM   #12
natman

Quote:
So heres how it goes, duck commander gets paid boatloads to let mossberg put their name/logo on the receiver, duck commander has absolutely nothing to do with the shotgun except releasing their name to mossberg,
Does this mean that Ted Williams didn't design the shotgun I bought at Sears? Say it ain't so....
Old July 12, 2013, 04:58 PM   #13
publius

HEY! Good for the Robertson's. Living the American dream and making money. If Mossberg wants to pay them to slap their name on a 500, good. I hope they sell a boatload of them. I won't buy one, but I'm always glad to see someone making money. If you would pay me to put my name on a pair of pink panties I'd say OK!
Old July 12, 2013, 06:30 PM   #14
hootey

"Duck Dynasty" is proof of what can happen to a good idea. They started out with an idea to make a better duck call and look where they are now! I hope they have some input into this project other than putting their name on something. Hey, put out a nice, well made, 06 or 250 or a nice 6.5, I might purchase one. Everyone needs a nice 06 in the cabinet, maybe two?
Old July 12, 2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Model12Win

Hey stop putting down the Mossqvarna! That chainsaw handle really come in handy for... well you know tactical stuff!!!
Old July 14, 2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Creek Henry

Isn't Si switching from Lipton to Tetley also?
Old July 14, 2013, 08:57 AM   #17
seeker_two

Only tea allowed in Lousiana is Luzianne....drinking Lipton is a capital offense.
Old July 14, 2013, 01:44 PM   #18
hootey

Hey, three Tetleys tea bags, one green tea bag, and gallon glass jug of water out in the sunshine for about five or six hours. Add one quarter cup suger and stir real well. Serve in quart mason jars filled with ice. Makes for some mighty fine Sun-Tea. Of course, I do not live in Lousiana. I do however, have a second cousin that retired in west Monroe Louisiana, he loves it. Always inviting me down to go fishing. I need to get down there and go!
Old July 14, 2013, 08:53 PM   #19
drcook

I was watching a rerun of the episode tonite where Willie is trying to lose weight for a school reunion and Si needs to get a new hunting dog for hunting doves.

Both Phil and Jase were using Browning A5's.

Si was using the sponsor's gun. There were several closeups showing the gun, side view, bottom view, closeup view. They were fulfilling their obligations to the sponsor on that show.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:20 AM   #20
Orphanedcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook View Post
Si was using the sponsor's gun. There were several closeups showing the gun, side view, bottom view, closeup view. They were fulfilling their obligations to the sponsor on that show.
If you're talking the Poodle scene, better look again, pretty sure that was a Beretta.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:37 AM   #21
drcook

Their sponsors come and go, however during that episode, they were making sure that everyone saw it and recognized it for what it was.

I am not familiar with all the different brands of guns and what they look like, as my primary interest is old Ithacas,

HOWEVER,

they focused in on the grip cap on the forearm on the side profile, they came back to Si's gun many times.

There was a financial reason that they did so. Whether it was a freebie to try out, or the fact that Benelli is a wholly owned subsidiary of Beretta Holding Co. they were making sure that everyone saw it.

The Brownings didn't get the closeups that Si's gun did.

read down and find "Expanding in 2000"

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...s-p-a-history/

read down and find subsidiaries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta

So whether it was a Benelli, a Beretta, whatever, if Benelli is a show sponsor, then by default so is Beretta and they were making a point of showing off one of their guns.

Last edited by drcook; July 15, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Orphanedcowboy

Benelli sponsored the Duck Commander hunting show, not Duck Dynasty.
Old July 16, 2013, 07:48 AM   #23
drcook

Regardless of who paid to have that gun spotlighted [on TV that kind of exposure costs, you cannot debate that], they (the Robertsons) are turning it all into a mountain of cash.

While I enjoy the show, I find it entertaining, I even relate to some of the antics as we did stuff like that when we were kids, I refuse to rush down to Walmart, or Giant Eagle (grocery store) and buy one of their books for $30.00.

Nor am I going to rush right out and buy a Mossberg just because it has their name on it.

I read the show has changed the duck call orders from 60,000 a yr to 600,000 a yr, lots being bought by folks who don't even hunt.

They are smart for figuring out how to collect people's money. People are dumb for giving it to them by the wheelbarrow full. The only reason to purchase one of their products is because it works as advertised, not because it is "signed".