The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 15, 2012, 04:32 PM   #26
madness

the reason you suk at rifles

not that you do suk at rifles, but, you were right hand dominant and therefore right eye dominant, you no longer have your right eye. i don't know if that was from birth( i don't suspect that though) or it was lost not to long ago( within the last ten years). one of the replies you got says it best, grab a .22 and practice practice practice. other things you can do is go see an optometrist and ask for their advice as to how to gain dominance in the left eye, they will have sopme exercises you can do to train your left eye to be more dominant. good luck in your endeavor to be a better shot.
as far as recoil goes, the only advice i can give there is train your self to flow with it. this will entail timing between your torso response and finger pull on the trigger. don't fear the recoil, embrace it. another thing that might help is to pull the rifle into your shoulder tightly.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Discern

Just because a person is right handed does not mean they are/were right eye dominant. There is a fair portion of people who are cross dominant (right hand and left eye or left hand and right eye).

There are people who are right handed but do better batting or golfing left or left handed and do better batting or golfing right. Each person is an individual and needs to see what works best for them.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:33 PM   #28
coyota1

Being able to shoot a handgun well should and will able you to shoot with a long gun be it a shotgun, or rifle. Tension in any part of your body is something that will adversely affect your shooting. Relax! Relax your forearm grip, trigger/pistol grip, and the way you stand. Grip firmly, but do not torque. For off hand shooting, don't hold too long. The longer you hold, the more you will wiggle. If you hold too long, tip the barrel down, and regroup. Call your Shot! when the target crosses your line of sight squeeze, and only then squeeze. Calling you shot is most important to me. We play a little game where a partner hands you the gun, and you do not know if it is loaded or not. This will bring awareness to flinching if you have this. All if this I am telling you applies to handgun shooting, so apply it to rifle practice. Tell yourself you are a cool shot, cause you are. I tell myself this also.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:31 PM   #29
Hal

Quote:
you were right hand dominant and therefore right eye dominant, you no longer have your right eye. i don't know if that was from birth( i don't suspect that though) or it was lost not to long ago( within the last ten years
I was born blind in my right eye.
I always wondered if it was possible to have been born blind in a dominant eye??
How weird would that be?
Old September 16, 2012, 01:14 AM   #30
shaunpain

I'm not really a great shot with pistols, shotguns, or rifles. I can hit the black with a pistol out to, say, 50 feet while taking my sweet time. I've never used a scope/pistol package so I can't comment on that. I have only been able to shoot my rifles indoors, so probably only to 50-75 feet, but am decent with them. Seeing that I have only heavy old war rifles, the recoil isn't too bad for me. Shooting a nice, heavy gun might make all the difference in the world to you, or it may not. Using a Limbsaver, from what I gather, will definitely help. My brother has a Remy 700 in 30-06 we haven't had the chance to take out yet, but from the weight of it I can already tell it will totally be suck city. I told him he should seriously think about plunking down the money for a nice chassis system, get that thing real heavy, and it'll be a decent package. I am not crazy over recoil myself, and honestly, even a .357 is mildly unpleasant for me to shoot. I had a PF-9 that I really hated to shoot, but forced myself to get good with, and I did. I understand the practicality of a 6-7 lb rifle, but those are meant for the field where serious work is done. I don't go in the field!