The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2011, 09:43 AM   #1
jmortimer

"The Lost Art of Cut Shells"

Saw this link to Youtube video from Iraqveteran8888 "The Lost Art of Cut Shells" which is described as the "poor man's slug" and used prior to the introduction of slugs. Very interesting. Obviously not for loading in a magazine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46...layer_embedded
Old April 27, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
chadstrickland

Hmm or loading in a gun period....to me its a ticking time bomb...and the reason I say that is because think of how much extra pressure is having to build up to move that out of the barrel.....im not gona be doing it...a good idea for back in the day..yea perhaps...but useless today....imho that is
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old April 27, 2011, 11:34 AM   #3
SDC

You don't want to try this trick for the same reason you don't want to fire slugs through a full choke; the extra diameter of the shell passing through the forcing cone and bore spikes pressures drastically, and there's no guarantee the shotgun you try this in is going to hang together under those conditions.
Old April 27, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
zippy13

We just had a thread on this topic: If you're ever feeling suicidal....
Old April 27, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Edward429451

While full chokes may not be the best choke for slugs, they certainly will not blow up your gun. If they would, then it would be common knowledge and everyone would know someone that it happened to. Have you ever seen a SG blow up from a slug? I didn't think so.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:11 PM   #6
markj

I used slugs in my winchester 1200 had a full choke. Deer died same as my 1300 with a slug barrell.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:29 PM   #7
SDC

I have seen BULGED barrels from using this trick, so if you don't mind destroying your own property, go right ahead (as long as I'm not standing next to you).
Old April 27, 2011, 06:42 PM   #8
zippy13

As I've previously opined: If slugs weren't safe to shoot in modern fully choked guns, their makers' legal departments wouldn't allow them on the market. Custom cut shells are strictly Use at your own risk.
Old April 27, 2011, 08:38 PM   #9
jmortimer

"We just had a thread on this topic"
Sorry to bring it up again - Missed it the first time but it is interesting topic. I'm not recommending it I just saw the link on Survival Blog and all my shot guns are cylinder bore so I don't think there could be a pressure issue. In a survival situation you could use small shot for self-defense.
Old April 27, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
darkgael

cuts

Quote:
The Lost Art of Cut Shells" which is described as the "poor man's slug" and used prior to the introduction of slugs. Very interesting. Obviously not for loading in a magazine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46...layer_embedded
The fellow in that video has his dates wrong. The shotgun slug was invented well before 1931.
"the slug didn't come out til 1931" (Brenneke invented his slug in 1898. The Foster slug was invented in 1931. Found that out over at the PAFOA forum.)
and they were using these shells during the depression". The implication there being that the Depression occurred before 1931. Maybe a little bit of it did but not most.
There are at least two other threads on other fora discussing this at present.
PAFOA and Graybeard Outdoors.
Pete
Old April 28, 2011, 12:39 AM   #11
kozak6

A case of slugs is cheaper than a new shotgun and facial reconstructive surgery.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:41 AM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
The implication there being that the Depression occurred before 1931.
1929 Stock Market crash started the Great Depression
Old April 29, 2011, 10:59 PM   #13
darkgael

Oneounceload: Yeah, I knew that about the Great Depression beginning in 1929..... due to its severity most of it occurred after 1931. There's a strong argument that it was ended by WWII. My sense of the comment about slugs was that the fellow was not referring to the two years after the crash. (added in But I've been wrong before.

Btw - off topic - I have been going the one ounce route in Trap lately. Haven't noticed any difference in my scores. Keep bumping up against 25.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; April 30, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:59 AM   #14
zippy13

Off topic,

Pete, my friend, those 1-oz trap loads will work just fine until you start adding some real yardage. Actually, for some, they may shoot better with 1-oz loads because of the reduced recoil.

Be careful, if you're not paying attention, my friend oneounceload will have you shooting with 7/8 or 3/4-oz loads.

Tags
cut shell , cut shells