The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 8, 2008, 03:11 PM   #1
OSUCowboy

Savage 110 AccuTrigger with Leupold STD mounts?

I recently purchased a 4-12X40 scope for my Savage 110 .30-06, only to find that the scope tube is about 1/2 an inch too short to fit in the rings (the old scope was a 3-9X40 with a longer tube that just barely fit). I know that Leupold makes STD mounts with extension rings which offer about 1/2 an inch longer or shorter adjustment, but I can't find any bases that are made specifically for my rifle. Does anyone have any experience with the STD mounts (2-piece, not the 1-piece) on a Savage 110 post-AccuTrigger?

"I'd rather have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun"
-Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton
Old January 8, 2008, 06:04 PM   #2
jhgreasemonkey

You may have to start over and use this style of base http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...583&t=11082005 that is designed specifically for your gun and then use leupold weaver style rings. That will allow you to mount the rings closer together to fit the shorter tube of your scope.
I replaced the 3x9x40 scope and had the same problem mounting a 6.5x20x50 scope on my savage 110 w/accutrigger. To make it work with the shorter length of 1" diameter tube that is what I used.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

I like 2 piece bases. If the 2 piece Leupold Weaver Style base is used on an accutrigger gun the bases are both round bottomed and are interchangable.

Concerning rings the best extension rings I found are Millet Weaver Style Rings which work well, though their adjustable windage is sometimes a bother.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.