The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2001, 08:14 PM   #1
SloSolo2

live ammo disposal question

I need some help and wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in. I have a .22 cartridge of which the bullet has become damaged in a way I don't want to put it through my gun. How can I safely dispose of it otherwise? I do not have a bullet puller. Since I currently only reload shot shells I'd rather not buy one for this.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old June 16, 2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

.22's come apart very easily if you grasp the bullet with a pair of pliers and rock it back and forth and twist it out. Wear thick leather gloves if you wish, and, as always, wear safety glasses. But the chances of it going off are ... well, you'ld have better odds if you go buy a lottery ticket.

Personally, I'd just throw it away without a thought about it. Even if it goes off in a burning trash dump, it won't cause any harm to the attendants.
Old August 11, 2001, 02:52 PM   #3
Big Lou

I agree with Mal H........I toss damaged cartridges in the trash and don't worry about it. Most trash is landfilled, so there's no concern there. Even if it gets burned, a cartridge cooking off is not much different from the many millions of aerosol cans that are in the trash. Now those can really burst!

One other tip.......remember the primer material is inside the rim on rimfire cartridges, so NEVER use an inertia bullet puller on them.
Old August 12, 2001, 06:00 AM   #4
Hal

I either use the rock and remove method above, or put the bad round into the wire cutter part of my Leatherman pliers and cut it right below the spot where the bullet is seated. Six o one, a half dozen of the other. If you rock and remove, it usually means doing it where little pieces can hit you if it goes off. If you cut it, you can reach down inside and empty 55 gal drum and snip. Either way, eyes and ears are a must, and gloves are a good idea.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:51 AM   #5
Quantrill

Bullet pullers for .22 rimfire

Slosolo2,
I know you said that you did not have a bullet puller for .22 caliber. Just in case you thought about getting one, let me recomend against it. Pulling .22 rimfire bullets with a Inertia type bullet puller is a good way to get a loud bang at best and hurt at worst. If you are not talking about rimfire cartridges, this has no bearing but .22 rimfires should not be used in a inertia bullet puller. Just my 2 cents. Quantrill
Old August 13, 2001, 02:43 AM   #6
hotdog

live ammo disposal.

I have a coffee can downstairs in my work room with kerosene in it, I let my ammo that I can't unload soak in it for a week,then put it in the garbage the kerosene disables the primer and powder and becomes safe to dispose of.hotdog
Old August 13, 2001, 08:47 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

hotdog - Have you tested the ammo after a week of soaking to see if it is really dead? The reason I asked is that I tried an experiment along that line about a year ago on centerfire cartridges and reported the results here. I found that the soaking did not affect the rounds, they all fired. I used several different liquids but not kerosene. A rimfire is even better protected from the elements than centerfire cartridges since it is completely sealed, but I am wondering if kerosene might be able to seep in even when there is practically no pressure differential.
Old August 13, 2001, 03:26 PM   #8
Edward429451

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA, Must've been one of them brain farts, no offense but no way would I put any cartridge in one of MY guns, that had been soaked in anything, especially flammable. The Goblins are alive and well and guns are expensive!

Just pitch it out.
Old August 13, 2001, 04:24 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I'm not sure whose brain you think farted, but it wasn't mine. How much of any liquid do you think will soak through the brass and lead? Are you picturing a case full of kerosene? Not likely. And if that did happen, the gun would go 'click' not kaboom.
Old August 13, 2001, 09:06 PM   #10
Edward429451

Yea, I know, but it sounded funny and not so good at the same time. No offense meant.
Old August 13, 2001, 10:27 PM   #11
hotdog

kerosene works

Mal, when I first heard about it years ago I was thinking it wouldn't work so I took a few back to the range and tried them they didn't fire. hotdog
Old August 13, 2001, 10:50 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Thanks hotdog! That sounds like the way to do it then. It's amazing how often the question is asked about how to deactivate questionable ammo at the range and on the various BB's.
Old August 16, 2001, 03:25 AM   #13
yankytrash

Muriatic acid works quicker and the results are not, at all, questionable.

Throw it in the acid. Check it two days later. I challenge you to find the casing. If the bullet is FMJ, that'll be gone in another day.

You can find muriatic acid at any hardware store for about $4 a gallon.
Old August 16, 2001, 09:47 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Muriatic acid is simply dilute hydrochloric acid. An even more dilute version is marketed as "Lime-A-Way".

, Art
Old August 16, 2001, 12:31 PM   #15
yankytrash

Quote:
Muriatic acid is simply dilute hydrochloric acid. An even more dilute version is marketed as "Lime-A-Way".
However, it should be mentioned that messing with straight hydrochloric acid is highly dangerous. It burns holes in you, if you are unfortunate enough for it to splash on you (like when you accidentally drop the casing before you have it fully immersed).

5% muriatic acid will only sting a little, giving you time to go rinse (and reflect upon the fact that it's acid you're messing with!)

Lime-away, eh? Didn't know that, thanks for heads-up. Probably smells better too (for those that don't know, muriatic acid smells like rotten onions inside a used gym sock on a hot day....:barf: )