The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2000, 05:28 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

When I was first getting into CAS, my biggest hesitancy was the use of a shotgun. Being mostly a pistol man, I owned no shotguns. CAS introduced me to the smooth bore. Now I can't get enough. What is your Cowboy Shotgun and why did you pick it? I started with an IGA 20 gauge, 20 inch sxs. Now I've also picked up a 97 Winchester pump. Takedown model, manufactured 1927. Cut the barrel from thirty to twenty inches and put new bead on front.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old January 4, 2000, 06:35 AM   #2
Hal

The shotgun was the second gun that got me thinking about CAS. Believe it or not, the 2 shot Derringer ala Yancy Derringer was the first. Since the topic is shotguns though, I'll stick to that. I have never been a shotgunner. I had a single shot H&R 12 Ga that I used (seldom) for crow hunting. It spent the majority of it's time in the trunk. I always liked the guns of the west, the Derringer being my favorite. About 4 years ago, having the money to spend finally, I decided it was time to pick up that SXS 12 Ga with exposed hammers. Yeah, right, shows you how far out of touch I was. The only Coach Gun I could find was the Stoeger. My wife thought I was a bit on the loony side for spending $250.00 for a gun I was not going to shoot, just because I liked it, but played along anyhow. The only real shotgun ammo I had on hand was a box of high brass #5 2 3/4 " Rem Mag. Two rounds of that was enough to convince me to clean the Stoeger, oil it up and sit it in the corner for 3 1/2 years. I thought about selling it, but decided I liked it, even though I didn't much care for shooting it. To me, it was worth the money just to look at it. Hey, some people pay 10 time that amount for a statue,or a Hummel, so I don't consider my interpertation of "Art", anything different. A couple of lever guns later, the thought of CAS came back to mind. I figured I would drag the SxS back to the range, this time with something a bit more civil to shoot. I started with a box of the mini shells, and moved up to full sized REm all purpose loads and a box of AA Winchester in 7 or 8 shot. It wasn't at all as bad as the hunting load, and even a lot of fun. I had some doubts, and posted a question here, as to how well the Stoegers held up, and was glad to hear they do just fine. I plan on getting a Mec Grabber this summer and doing a lot of shooting with it. I really want to try some black powder loads in it at some future point, but more on that later. It isn't anywhere near as practical as my 870 Rem, which I bought this past summer after years of putting it off, but it is fun to shoot with the right loads. Now if I could only hit something with it
Old January 4, 2000, 08:58 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

I have one CAS shotgun-the 12 gauge Stoeger Coachgun that I started out with. After an action job,it is slick,straight shooter that only misses when it's my fault. I have been shooting Winchester Featherlites,but I just started reloading my own shotgun ammo,and I imagine that duplicating that load will be difficult. I've not had the desire for a '97,though I've shot one,and they are fun to shoot.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 4, 2000, 09:36 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I've taken to shotgun so much, when I submit CAS stages to the match director he always has to cut down the number of shotgun shots in the stage design. I made the mistake one day of saying, why don't you do this kinda stage or that kinda stage. Whereupon I found myself drafted as asst. stage writer. There are many many 97 Winchester pumps at cowboy shoots in Ohio. Those wranglers must have dug through every basement and attic to drag them all out. I would go shoot in Ohio and see all these beautifully redone 97 Win. Seems like many get them entirely reblued and restocked up there. So after 10 months of looking, I walk into my gun store and the owner says "Hey, Ned,Your a cowboy. Gotta a 97 Winchester pump would you want to see?" The rest is history.
Old January 5, 2000, 10:17 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I too use a Stoeger, though mine is box stock. I also have an honest to goodness ACME ARMS mule ear shotgun that was cut down sometime in the past to 18 inches. It needs to be rebuilt though as its about to fall apart nowadays.
Old January 6, 2000, 08:13 PM   #6
Trigger Jerk

When I started CAS 5 years ago, I happened to have a completely restored Winchester 97 12 gauge with a 20 inch bbl. I hated to use it because CAS is hard on guns. I then bought a Stoeger 20 gauge "uplander" and I like it real well. Then I bought a "beater" 97 and that is now my main stage gun. But for fun I have a 10 gauge LC Smith double that I cut the bbl to 20 inches that is in decent shape and a 10 gauge Winchester 1887 that also has been cut to 22 inches and been completely restored with a bright nickel finish on all the metal. Whooeee! It do look like a Philadelphia pimp gun. If I ever want to meet people, that's the gun to take.
Old January 7, 2000, 03:12 PM   #7
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Would be nice to see a stoger or rossi "overland" double for sale these days. Exposed hammer doubles are SCARCE thanks to CAS. (then again my pedersoli BP double is selling for $600 at cabela's that I picked up for $200 used).

What's the rule on more "modern" hammerless doubles like a winchester model 24?? Are they legal?

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old January 7, 2000, 05:27 PM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Dr. Rob,

Model 24s are legal. Essentially,any SXS in the approved gauges,hammers or not,is SASS legal.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 8, 2000, 11:05 AM   #9
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Bill
I thought that a double could not have automatic ejectors? AFAIK extractors are okay but ejectors are taboo.
Old January 8, 2000, 07:06 PM   #10
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy fal308,

Yer correct-that little detail slipped my mind. Disabling ejectors is a pretty simple matter,though.

Bellicose Bill