The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1
M3mh0g

Need help with new to me Lyman dies

I was just gifted an old set of Lyman .30 carbine dies. It was a three die set. Each of the dies is marked what they are; sizer, exp, seater. I've only been doing this reloading for about a year and only used new dies so far. I took the dies apart and have them a good bath in CLP. I noticed the outside of the decapping pin had threads on it and in the box was this small piece that look like a case expander that got on these threads perfectly with the decapping pin sticking slightly out of the bottom. The decapper will not fit into the sizing die with this piece I stalled, but it will fit in the exp die. So my question is do I have an incomplete set of dies, or do I remove the decapping collet from the sizing dies and move it to the expander die when the sizing process is complete?
Old May 8, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
wncchester

Decap and expand in the same die body.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. Those dies predate progressive presses and powder-through expander dies, so it didn't matter which station decapped as long as you primed before adding powder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
jepp2

If you are going to load very much of the the 30 carbine, an addition you will value is a carbide sizer die link

30 Carbine tend to size fairly hard. The carbide die still benefits from using case lube, but it significantly reduces the effort to size brass.