The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1
slammedsi

Looking for good 357 loads?

I just bought a new to me Ruger BlackHawk 3 screw in 357. was looking for some decent loads to put thorough it. i made up some 125gr hornady xtp, CCI primer, and 17grs of 2400 powder. there not all that bad. pretty accurate, sure have the noise tho. The gun is going to be used for nothing more then shooting rabbits and small bs game, and plinking. Any help would be great..
Old March 2, 2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Stick_man

If you want to do a lot of shooting, why not try some cast bullets? They are considerably cheaper than jacketed bullets and every bit as effective as a hunting bullet.

I usually hunt rabbits with .38 specials out of my .357 and have had great success. Much cheaper to shoot, easier on the gun, easier on the shooter and companions, much easier on the ears (even with proper protection), etc. etc. What's not to like about them. The 158 gr. bullets in either SWC or RF configurations make great hunting bullets, even for game as large as deer (at reasonable handgun ranges) and are some of the most easily found bullets on the market for reloaders.

Just because you have a "magnum" doesn't mean you have to shoot nothing but hot magnum loads.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

I find W231 and Universal make the best 'non-magnum' easy-shooters.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
AlaskaMike

I fully agree with both. Cast bullets are about all I shoot in my .357s (actually, all my handguns). I also use a lot of 231 in my non-magnum .357 loads.

Any 158 grain cast SWC over 6 grains of 231 will give you a great small game load.

Mike
Old March 2, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5
farmall

6.5gn of Unique, and the Lee 358158RF bullet do most anything I need a 357 to do. I go up to 7-7.5gn if I'm angry with my hands and want them to hurt more later!

Andy
Old March 3, 2010, 04:45 PM   #6
JJE

17 gr of 2400 with a 125 gr jacketed bullet is max or close to max in 357 - which is pretty much what you don't want for plinking, target shooting or small game. Since you don't need max velocity for your purposes, I would go to a faster powder, as other have suggested - maybe Power Pistol or Universal. If you don't like the smoke you get from cast bullets, you can use plated 125 or 158 bullets (Berry's, Rainier or Powerbond).

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member