The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2005, 09:11 PM   #1
CraZkid

My wondergun(help me and I might let you shoot it)

I have decided what I realy want:A high-capacity 1911 long slide in 10mm. I have also decided that I want to be able to switch barrels and shoot .40 for IPSC. I want to use parts from STI. However I have many questions and I feel bad asking the gunsmith at IPSC all these questions and not paying. I am mechanicaly inclined and determined because this is the gun I want very badly, so I think I am up to the task.
1)Does the short block completion kit come with all the parts I need(other than slide, barrel and frame)?
1a)If not what other parts do I need?
2)Will it be as simple as switching barrels to go from 10 to .40?
3)The barrel says that it is a gunsmith fit; will that require a gunsmith to hand fit it or can I figure it out?
4)What is the round capacity for the 120mm mags?
5)Is there a good home-gunsmithing book that will guide me so I do not have to waste so much of your time?
Old September 20, 2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Radamanthus

I was just thinking of something along this line. I live in California, and really want to get a 10mm 1911-style handgun. Preferably a long slide single-stack version. However, there is no such thing allowed here. Caspian seems to make everything but the barrel, which Ed Brown would provide, but if anyone has any information on how to assemble everything, then it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, it could help both of us.
Old September 20, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Rob P.

Quote:
I live in California, and really want to get a 10mm 1911-style handgun. Preferably a long slide single-stack version. However, there is no such thing allowed here.
I have read this a couple of times. I admit I'm relatively ignorant on stuff like this so, can anyone point me to a site/linky/post that positively states that 1911's are banned in Calif. Or are just Caspian's banned? Maybe just long slide 1911's?

Was thinking on building a 1911 from a partly completed frame (80% kit) and some Caspian parts in either 10mm or 45. If, however, Caspians are banned, I probably won't be able to get parts either. Maybe I could buy the parts next time I'm in Az and stick 'em in my pocket before I come home again?

Need to get educated on both the 1911 ban issue and building from a kit.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Jim Watson

It is not that 1911s are banned in the Schwartzenegger Reich, it is that NO handgun may be sold there unless the manufacturer has provided sample guns for destructive testing to prove they are "safe." There is an official roster of pistols allowed to be sold in California.
http://justice.hdcdojnet.state.ca.us...feguns_new.taf
Note that they are listed by make, model, and caliber. And we don't want gunsmiths making up things not on the list, do we?
Old September 20, 2005, 01:50 PM   #5
CraZkid

Holy crap! Who at para peed in the California DOJ's wheeties?! Looks like everything that Para ever made is banned!
Old September 20, 2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Jim Watson

They didn't DO anything. Getting on the roster requires that the company furnish guns for state employees to tear up... multiple drops on a concrete floor, for example. PO just didn't want the CA business that bad.
Old September 20, 2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Radamanthus

I know that there are ways to get things that are not on the list. The main factor in all of the laws is that the frame is the only serial numbered piece. If I get an EAA Witness is .45--which is allowed--and put the 10mm conversion on it, then it is okay, even though the 10mm version isn't okay normally. Therefore, I think that if I bought the frame, which should be fine, since it isn't an assembled firearm, and built on it, it would okay legally. However, I am not sure, so if anyone has any knowledge on that, it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any information that would help me assemble everything, then that would be appreciated.
Old September 20, 2005, 04:43 PM   #8
CraZkid

Well that is cool, but california's draconian gun laws realy do not answer my questions about building my wondergun . Does anyone have any expertise?
Old September 20, 2005, 07:35 PM   #9
HSMITH

Crazy, where do you live? There are some gunsmiths that will help/allow you to build your gun at their shop with their help, and that is THE best way to go if you can. It really doesn't take long either unless you want a lot of custom machining done. For a relatively plain gun a couple days would be PLENTY of time.

Fitting one up isn't that bad, but you need to know what you are doing or it will be expensive learning how on your own. You can ask me how I know this and I will probably deny screwing up a basket of parts on the first couple builds...... The other expense is tools, some of the tools you need to fit a barrel or fit a fire control group for instance typically aren't laying around the house and aren't much good for anything else after you are done.

If you call STI I think they can provide you with a fitted slide and frame, and at extra cost fit a barrel. That would knock out a LOT of the work, and STI does a VERY nice job with fitting of slide to frame and barrel.

Swapping barrels isn't a problem at all with 40 and 10mm. But you could also just load down 10mm or load the 40 long and hot to get basically the same performance out of either one. In your STI 40 you will want the barrel cut for long loads anyway, they feed better since the gun was originally designed for longer loads.
Old September 20, 2005, 10:12 PM   #10
CraZkid

I am in eastern Iowa. So, it would not be unreasonable to ask a smith to help me with this? I would feel bad because that is kind of like taking buisness away from them, isn't it?
Old September 20, 2005, 11:07 PM   #11
HSMITH

Iowa, isn't Bob Hunter out there? Hunter Customs? I have no idea if he allows customer participation or not but it can't hurt to ask.

No, it isn't taking the business from them since you pay them to help you build it. It's like paying a tutor. Even if it costs more than just having the smith do it I think it is well worth the education. Not only that, but you will actually understand the how and why and be able to keep it running on your own.