The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2001, 06:23 PM   #1
Jamie Young

I've seen an ad for 223 Sub-Sonic ammo on the Cole-Distributing sight. Has anyone tried to duplicate this? I never thought about going down that low with a load. Just for fun I thought it might be something new to try.
Old March 12, 2001, 05:07 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Unless youhave a suppressor, you won't tell any difference.
Old March 12, 2001, 05:30 PM   #3
Jamie Young

I'm not really too familiar with Suppressors? You mean SubSonic ammo isn't Sub Sonic ammo by itself?
Old March 12, 2001, 06:31 PM   #4
Troy

You can load .223 to subsonic velocities, but you'll probably need to use different (faster) powder to do so, and it may not cycle the action.

However, subsonic .223 is going to be ballistically about as effective as a .22LR. Normal muzzle velocities for .223 are about triple the speed of sound, and it is that velocity that is the key to the effectiveness of the round.

Subsonic ammo is used when minimizing the noise signature (in conjunction with a suppressor) is the overriding requirement. The advantage being that the same gun can use standard ammo if that becomes necessary (and the sound signature is no longer an issue).

-Troy
Old March 12, 2001, 09:26 PM   #5
CapeFear

223 Subsonics

Go to the Gunwriters on the Web site. There are several articles written on subsonics in general and one or two on the 223. Green Dot.....
Old March 13, 2001, 02:41 PM   #6
WalterGAII

SodaPop: I was talking about the noise factor. What other reason is there for subsonic .223 ammo? In downloading rifle ammo, you also risk extreme pressure spikes, which aren't healthy for you or your rifle.
Old March 13, 2001, 05:59 PM   #7
Cheapo

point of clarification--the subsonic refers to the bullet traveling less that the speed of sound...not specifically to the noise level of the round itself being fired.

to hear the advantage, give a trusted friend exactly one round for your rifle, go downrange 200 yards and hide behind a rock. Pop a flare or some other prearranged signal for your buddy to fire the shot something like 10 feet OVER your position.

The bullet's supersonic travel produces a crack almost as loud as a .22 LR round being fired.
Old March 13, 2001, 09:49 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I can see a niche for not necessarily sub-sonic ammo for a .223 but for a down-loaded round - turkey hunting fer instance where the shots are 100 yds or so. No "need" for a 3000 fps bullet that could add to meat destruction, etc.

+, silly as it seems, I could get into some low-powered cast rounds for my HBAR just so I could shoot it more, cheaper & with less bbl wear. Do so now with .30-06/.308 at ~1500 fps or so .... I would hate to have to cast the tiny things tho' - have to have a 12 cavity mould.

A down-loaded .223 could approimate a .22 magnun pretty nicely I'd think.

Too, down-loaded rifles rounds are not neccesarily going to cause any harm whatsoever to you or your rifle. Granted some of the slower burning powders can when used at the low end, but there are many combos with the faster (pistols) powders that work quite well.