The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 14, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
arizonaopa

Does appearance matter?

I have seen many posts about good looking and ugly guns. I just wonder why this is such an issue. People say Hi-Point and Glock are ugly. It seems to me that if the weapon goes bang and is accurate when I pull the trigger, why worry about appearance. Granted, I have some guns that I collect due to the good appearance of the workmanship, but these are not guns that I take to the range. Just wondering about what others think.
Old November 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
PatientWolf

IMO, a good looking gun can be as accurate and reliable as an ugly gun, so I see no point in owning an ugly gun.
Old November 14, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Chaz88

For me it matters. It is one of the reasons I will buy or pass on a gun. Function is most important but form is part of the equation, for me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
SC4006

Quote:
IMO, a good looking gun can be as accurate and reliable as an ugly gun, so I see no point in owning an ugly gun.
Exactly my thought.

To me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, I don't just like guns for their practical value. I don't just own them to shoot either, I like everything about a good looking gun. I like to look at them and admire how they look, I like to hold them, cycle the action... I basically do everything short of sleeping with them.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
HungryHunter

+1 SC4006.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Life is too short:
To shoot ugly guns;
To drink cheap wine;
To date ugly women ();
To drive boring. slow cars;
To put off until tomorrow what joy you can achieve today
Old November 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are two meanings of "good looking". One is aesthetic, where it means pleasing to the eye, and there is no doubt that some guns, like some cars, tablewear, clothing, etc., are more pleasing to the eye than others, but it is largely subjective. The other meaning is condition. A beat-up, rusted junker is not as "good looking" as the same gun in new condition.

The first meaning will not affect value, nor will it affect function. An "ugly" gun (in my opinion) might be in excellent condition, be accurate, and function perfectly. Since the gun is what it is in regard to its "beauty" (or lack of it), that will not affect the value.

But the condition will affect value, a lot. Even a gun most of us would agree is "good looking" in the first meaning will have little value if it is in poor condition.

Functionally, "good looking" in either meaning has little effect. If a gun works as it should, and is reliable, appearance matters little. In fact, some people who carry guns prefer one in only so-so or even poor condition if it is reliable because they feel that if they have to use it, losing a clunker to a police evidence room is better than losing a "beauty".

Jim
Old November 14, 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Appearance is subjective. Buy what you like and shoot what you like.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
berettaprofessor

Quote:
. I basically do everything short of sleeping with them.
I hope you are not implying that those of us who do are abnormal.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:30 PM   #10
skizzums

well.....this is my wifes favorite gun. cheap, ugly and super fun plinking toy. as fo accuracy? it's what i use for all my 9mm work-ups to test groups. when she first got it, i had to take it to a public range to sight it in.........uber embarassing. but we have our share of ugly guns, we like to have fun with them. have a few purty ones too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luciana'sHP.jpg (244.0 KB, 177 views)
Old November 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
SC4006

Quote:
I hope you are not implying that those of us who do are abnormal.
Ok, MAYBE I would sleep with them.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Wreck-n-Crew

I have 2 3rd generation S&W pistols. A 5906 and a 5903. The 5903 has the squared guard which is a bit displeasing to the eye but doesn't destroy the looks. The 5906 is a thing of beauty both to the eye and to my hands..

They are part of some of the most reliable pistols S&W ever made but the looks have nothing to do with what I can put on a target or on the way it feels in my hand. They just complete it!

As far as Glocks being displeasing to the eye, only from the frame down IMO. I like the look of the slide. IT has a different look that is pleasing to my eyes. Change the grip angle and round the trigger guard and it would have a whole new look. The finish reminds me of the finish on an impact socket which really fits the Glock image as a reliable tool.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:49 PM   #13
boondocker385

Wow. ..guns are tools. If you are concerned about appearance go collect art or trophy wives.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:54 PM   #14
Jim243

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." This is true for guns as well as for art.

If you consider a Picasso a thing of beauty then I guess Glocks and Hi-Points would be in your art collection (LOL).

Me, I like Rembrandt's.

Jim

Quote:
go collect art or trophy wives.
Both are too expensive for my tastes.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:02 PM   #15
Chaz88

Quote:
Wow. ..guns are tools. If you are concerned about appearance go collect art or trophy wives.
Opinions vary. In my opinion,

Many are visually works of art.

Most, in their time, were works of mechanical genius.

My most cherished and valuable, to me, have great memories of my dad and grandpa attached to them.

Guns are just tools? Not for me and many other people.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker385
Seriously?

Yeah, can you point me to a good hammer forum? I'd like to spend the next 7 years and 16,000+ posts talking about hammers.

Come on man, that cliché is ridiculous.

Somehow, I'm guessing you're not on too many forums to discuss your other "tools", are you?

Appearance matters on some guns more than others. My carry gun just has to be rugged and functional. As long as it doesn't look like it was built by a deranged, blind monkey, it doesn't have to be pretty. Other guns have to look nice. It depends on what they're used for and why I bought that particular piece.

The generic "they're tools" thing is just silly.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #17
gsparesa

My wife talks about our S&W revolvers as being "sexy". Go figure. My choice between the "good" vs "ugly" would be the "bad". Bad @ss guns offer me exciting challenges. It's a thrill to shoot big bad calibers with a degree of fearless accuracy. I'm talking 44 mag or greater.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:48 PM   #18
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm sick of hearing this. If I am dropping $500 or more on a gun, I want it to look good too.

By your logic

Clothes are meant to keep us warm and cover our privates, so we should not care about our appearance.

Cars are meant to get us from point A to point B, so it doesn't matter what they look like.

Furniture is meant to sit on, eat at, and hold things. Lets all just get ugly furniture because it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it does the job.

See how ridiculous that sounds...

Yankeemarshall hits the nail on the head in his opening statements in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uzmLP0ysVQ

Last edited by Dragline45; November 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:10 AM   #19
KMAX

Quote:
Wow. ..guns are tools. If you are concerned about appearance go collect art or trophy wives

Glock owner?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 15, 2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Kev

Ive had some bang around, take on the boat, camping trips and toss in the glove box guns..ugly and not a lot of $$$, because they were the exact opposite of a pampered Python level gun in the looks dept..

But I tell ya what...

when the shinola hits the fan, and all I have is an old, pitted, chipped grips, scratched up surplus service revolver and it goes bang bang when I and my family needs it to, then it is a beautiful thing.
Old November 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

They all do the same thing. If they do it equally and you get the job done properly, it doesn't matter.

When I out shoot a high dollar 1911 with my Glock 19, does it really matter?
Old November 15, 2013, 10:45 AM   #22
Chaz88

Quote:
When I out shoot a high dollar 1911 with my Glock 19, does it really matter?
Maybe not when you shoot them but that 1911 is a lot nicer to look at than the Glock.

Yes I have a Glock. I finally broke down and bought a Glock about a year ago. It shoots good and is a very functional "tool", that is the only reason I bought it. It fits the bill for a particular type of competition shooting and I do not mind loaning it to the participants I coach. But it would be the first to go if I needed to get rid of something.

Old November 15, 2013, 10:52 AM   #23
teeroux

Quote:
Life is too short:
To shoot ugly guns;
To drink cheap wine;
To date ugly women ();
To drive boring. slow cars;
To put off until tomorrow what joy you can achieve today
Living is the longest thing any of us will ever do. That being said would you still want to have all those ugly things for so long?
Old November 15, 2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Maybe not when you shoot them but that 1911 is a lot nicer to look at than the Glock.
I should carry a Wilson Combat 1911, maybe if I show it to the criminals they'll be stunned by it's beauty and leave me be. lol....

Seriously?
Old November 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #25
JNad

My $.02:

I prefer the good looking guns, and I like all shapes and sizes. Blued guns with wood are my favorite, but there is place for color case hardening, and stainless, and polished stainless, and nickel, and on and on.

However, I love to know and understand everything about these tools. That means I like to take them apart and work on them. So, sometimes I buy an ugly gun on purpose, knowing there is some chance I might screw it up. However, I do this so that I can get to know a piece without any chance of messing up a beauty.

Example: I bought a Kareen Hi-Power so I could get an in-depth, down and dirty knowledge of the high power without ever risking a scratch to an FN made Browning.

Example: bought a cheap and beat Iver Johnson double action revolver just to take apart and get to know the workings of the DA revolver without any risk to a "better" gun. I also thought this one would be good practice for "re-finishing" some time later.

In sum, there is a place for both types at the table in my house.