The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2012, 12:54 PM   #26
StainlessSteel215

Great thread OP - something I am also working on with my wife in a red button situation.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:23 PM   #27
405FileFound

see below

Last edited by 405FileFound; October 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #28
405FileFound

many topics come up

A year ago my friend's mom was working in a deli mart. There was a ruckus in the parking lot that had spread into the store. I was told that mom "ran to the back where the gun was kept and ran it up front to hand to the owner." So a) the gun was kept in the storage area (not good) and b) she had no idea how to use it (it was a semi-auto).
The fight simmered down and the disagreeing parties left, but what if it was a robbery or something? would she have been able to use the weapon? To retain it if lunged at? This brings up topics of revolver or semi, who's familiar with the weapon, is there a plan in place, etc.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:17 AM   #29
Pistolgripshotty

Quote:
You want your wife behind you in a shootout?!
My wife and I are a UNIT...move together, live together, fight together, die together! Thats why I got love for 'er!
Old October 19, 2012, 12:42 PM   #30
bikerbill

My wife and I have discussed and played out a number of scenarios ... she knows that if we are threatened to move away from me as quickly as possible and seek (at the least) concealment ... if somebody is shooting, I want to be the target, since I am always carrying the means to fight back .. she is not interested in carrying, tho she does have one of those two-shot Kimber pepper blasters ... I would never want her behind me; it limits my ability to respond and to move in a defensive manner while (if I have to) firing back ... plan ahead is always excellent advice ...
Old October 19, 2012, 01:23 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolgripshotty View Post
My wife and I are a UNIT...move together, live together, fight together, die together! Thats why I got love for 'er!
Well, you won't find a bigger advocate than me for the concept of "The two shall become one flesh", but "Get behind me when the bullets start flying" is another thing entirely.

There's no reason to needlessly expose 2 people to hostile fire, make a bigger target and potential for both of you to get hit by the same bullet when you could be split up and make the BG worry about fire coming from 2 people from 2 directions rather than 1 person, since your wife obviously can't return fire from behind you.

Your life, your wife, your choice, but planning to do things with intentionally poor tactics is unwise, to say the least.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #32
youngunz4life

I never mentioned another good idea but some people do name their SD/HD firearm. an example is a shotgun (AKA: Arnold)

my wife, my two children, and I are coming back to the RV in the parking lot as dusk is ending and I have two bags of groceries on my arms and two males are standing near my RV waiting for us to get there. long story short for the thread:

I ask my wife to "go check on Arnold". that's code for an easy, non-suspicious way to say "go grab the shotgun" in case this situation escalates. That takes her out of the line of danger too, and she can bring the kids inside before whatever plan is being hatched by these guys begin. Of course it might be an innocent situation, but you never know especially if you're not where you usually reside.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:52 AM   #33
m&p45acp10+1

Mrs. M&P carries as well. Though our agreement is that she will seek cover/concealment and cover my back side if comes to that. She knows what rule number 1 is. Get out of the line of fire. Also her hearing is better than mine. She will be the one on the phone to 911.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:58 AM   #34
Nanuk

Quote:
It's cool to be an internet Rambo or John Mclane
but no one,I repeat no one, knows what the reaction
will be.
Unless you have been there, done that and train for it.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:58 AM   #35
youngunz4life

sorry, just breathing new life into thread......

http://specials.msn.com/msnvideo/vid...om=en-us_msnhp

codenames
Old October 21, 2012, 10:08 AM   #36
Frank Ettin
Staff

Looks like this one is "petering out."
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread