The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 21, 2009, 08:28 PM   #1
essohbe

New Ruger "SR-22"

How about this?:

http://ruger.com/SR22/index.html

Allot of fans of the Archangel and Nordic Components stocks might get a kick out of it.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
oregon-john

Looks like the Nordic kit made factory. Can't go wrong. John
Old September 21, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
JWT

Wow. Very nice looking from the information on Rugers site. Not inexpensive but looks very solid (as one would expect from Ruger). Based on the 10-22, basically a 10/22 inside an AR type body. Will be interesting to see how it competes with the S&W 15-22 and the 'Colt" .22 AR (Colt in name only).

The S&W is lower in price and internally more like a full sized AR - but has a polymer lower and upper. Internally it's similar to a full sized M&P rifle. Price is in the low $400s.

The 'Colt' M3 .22 looks like an AR but is not as similar internally. Quite a few of the 'parts' are more for decoration than function. Price in the mid $500s.

Very interesting move by Ruger. Gives the various 10/22 modification kits lots of competition. Also the S&W and Colt entries.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Waterengineer

OK, this gun or the M&P.

Discuss.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Nickanto

It looks cool. but the M&P is going to be hard to beat for the price, plus it's more of an AR than the Ruger. The Ruger is a 10/22 with an aftermarket stock an a hefty price tag. I'd say it's gonna sell in the high 400's which means your paying 250+ for the aftermarket stock.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
chucksolo69

Well to me, this gun doesn't look like an AR at all. In fact it looks like they copied the Remington "tactical .22" more than anything else. If they had made a .22 copy of their new 556 gas piston rifle, then that would have been very interesting. This one won't be on my list to buy.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
brian923

i would rather have either the s&w,or the new sig 522. though, i cant seem to find any info on the sig 522, its got to be a really cool shooting rifle, but its made by SIG! the ruger, looks okay, but its just a new stock for a 10/22. and i already have one of those. pluse, you can pick up a second hand 10/22 thats a very good shooter for 150.00$. i got mine from a neighbor for 80.00$i

if i had the choice of one, i would go with the s&w. its the most realistic looking AR style 22, thats funtions most like the AR. it would be cool to have the sig though. ohh the choices..... good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with. remmember, get what you want, not what any of us want. youll be more happy that way. brian
Old September 22, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
bigghoss

I'd rather have a factory ar-15 in .22lr than a 10/22 like that, not that that is a bad idea really but I would like one with irons.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Thing is---the Ruger has a waaaaay better magazine system and higher capacity magazines available instead of some slapped together tinker toy system trying to fit into an AR.

If the street price is around $350--I'd snap one up more than likely.

Not to mention easily upgradable internal parts---trigger--hammer--etc.
-------Metallica

Last edited by Omaha-BeenGlockin; September 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:09 PM   #10
comn-cents

Looks just like the ProMag Archangel stock I just put on my 10/22.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Crosshair

Why not have a folding stock? That's what I have on my 10/22. Makes transportation and storage so much easier.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:25 PM   #12
essohbe

I think it's *okay* looking, the main thing is function. The reciever rail and the float tube rails are not going to be the same height, exactly a problem common with the Nordic kit which let a statistic of people down who didn't know anything about same-plane vs gasblock BUIS.

I got an Archangel + some extras for $150 and so far it's the best I seem to have had any encounters with (yes, I like synthetic ). In my experience, you can't go wrong with a 10|22 (& I'm with you Omaha-BeenGlockin, for the mag thing) and there have been too many problems with the 'colt" and M&P versions from what I've heard, even the GSG-5 supposedly sucks in some ways.

Personally, I wanted the engineering and reliability of a 10|22 but in a .22lr caliber AR. The new product Ruger offers seems to be what I would have gone for if the price wasn't so much and I didn't already get an Archangel which I like better.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
kyle1974

The rotary magazine is reason enough... the M&P looks ridiculous with that enormous magazine sticking out of it...

but for a suggested retail of $625....I'll just buy a dedicated spike's upper and be done with it...
Old September 23, 2009, 09:45 AM   #14
chucksolo69

Well it's interesting because these "too many problems" with the Colt and M&P seem to be a lot of heresay. My Colt took about 500 rounds to break in but now it is flawless with any ammo except Remington. The problem with the new SR-22 from Ruger is it seems to be a lame attempt to jump on the "tactical" .22 bandwagon since Colt and S&W seem to be selling their AR copy products like crazy; I know that my local gun shop sold a ton of the Colts and has more on order. the S&W M&P has not made it to California yet. Most ALL .22 caliber firearms require some kind of break in to function correctly. Yes, even my brother's 10-22 had issues with certain types of ammo; his Ruger MK II did too. There is no way I would pay more for a 10-22 with a fancy stock than a regular 10-22. Some companies think we are pretty dumb.
Old September 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
GLK

I hope Ruger sells a ton of them, heck I hope S&W and Colt sell a ton of theirs. But I went with a dedicated TacSol AR-22 upper on a Anvil Arms stripped lower I built. Personally I find this to be best of them all. It is by far the closest to an actual AR-15 out of the dedicated 22LR offerings. I am also thinking the Rugers street price will be $450.00 give or take.
Old September 23, 2009, 06:52 PM   #16
ranger dave

give me a break

there are so many posts on look alike 22 lr that people spend $500 on . they fuction like crap the gsg 5 breaks after 2500 rounds. ive sent 3 back for friends allready there are junk . as for the 22 lr uppers a had a $700 one from spickes that jamed ever 3 rd round sent that junk back . and for the 22 ar why spend $500 on a fifle that james all the time and is not ever close to 2 moa. imo buy a good 22 lr and a ton of ammo and go shoot the thing
Old September 23, 2009, 07:57 PM   #17
9x19

Well, the new Ruger is "a good 22 lr", in that it's just a 10/22 action wearing better clothes.

Impact Guns has them listed at $449...
Old September 23, 2009, 08:44 PM   #18
GLK

Quote:
there are so many posts on look alike 22 lr that people spend $500 on . they fuction like crap the gsg 5 breaks after 2500 rounds. ive sent 3 back for friends allready there are junk . as for the 22 lr uppers a had a $700 one from spickes that jamed ever 3 rd round sent that junk back . and for the 22 ar why spend $500 on a fifle that james all the time and is not ever close to 2 moa. imo buy a good 22 lr and a ton of ammo and go shoot the thing
Thanks for your input Ranger Dave. I'll be sure and never buy anything from spickes as I hate fifles that james.
Old September 23, 2009, 09:04 PM   #19
dondavis3

I own and shoot a AR 15 and a AK 47 - but I think ruger is on to something - it looks like a fun gun to shoot and .22 cost a lot less and are easy to find.
Old September 24, 2009, 03:56 AM   #20
blume357

The key is they are working off of the 10/22 platform

and I think not only magazines will work in the new one but a lot of the inerds are the same.... means a lot of 10/22 owners with extra parts will snatch them up.

Price is a little high, of course the 625 is just suggested, but that relates to over or around $500 for real.

My one gripe, and I bet Ruger will fix this soon, is they come out with this 22 - AR look alike and don't offer high capacity mags? On their web sight the only option you have are the standard 10 rounders....pretty poor marketing in my mind... they can't even 'show' a good mag in the rifle because they don't offer one.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:19 AM   #21
Paochow

As long as the Tactical Innovations 10/22 mags fit and function, that is not a problem. It is more of a Tacticool 10/22 rather than an AR clone though.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:52 AM   #22
9x19

Quote:
...It is more of a Tacticool 10/22 rather than an AR clone though.
Absolutely... even though I already have one Nordic I built from a kit the heavy, threaded barrel and different receiver contours appeals to me a good bit...

Here's mine

Here's Ruger's

Old September 24, 2009, 02:23 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I'll be sure and never buy anything from spickes as I hate fifles that james
GLK owes me one keyboard.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:32 PM   #24
moddek

this thing really needs some iron sights... esp with the price tag... cuz if you dont have a red dot or scope laying around its just something else you are gonna have to pick up... i really think the vast majority of guns should still have irons even if its designed for optics... im interested in what this gun will retail at hopefully its pretty reasonable
Old September 27, 2009, 12:22 PM   #25
CraigC

Quote:
In fact it looks like they copied the Remington "tactical .22" more than anything
Technically, the Remington is a spin-off of what we've been doing to the 10/22 for years. Ruger had their factory 10/22 with the Tapco T6 stock out first as well. This is just one more option. The 10/22 is a long-time proven design with lots of aftermarket support. By contrast, you are very limited in what you can do with any of the new AR-derivative .22LR's. At best, they are inexpensive plinkers and decent training tools. The 10-22 can be as accurate as you want it to be. Street price should be around $475 and you can't build a 10/22 with the Nordic kit and a threaded barrel for that cheap. I'd say that contrary to popular internet lore, Ruger is very responsive to customer wants and needs.

If I wanted a rimfire AR, I'd get a dedicated upper from Spike's.

Quote:
The problem with the new SR-22 from Ruger is it seems to be a lame attempt to jump on the "tactical" .22 bandwagon since Colt and S&W seem to be selling their AR copy products like crazy
Backwards again. I would wager that it's the "tactical" 10/22 market that has sparked interest in rimfire versions of semi-auto military style autos. Not the other way around. The various "tactical" stocks and conversion kits including those from Tapco, Nordic (which Ruger is using), RB Precision, the Krinker Plinker, etc. all predate the new S&W and Colt offerings.

Quote:
M&P looks ridiculous with that enormous magazine sticking out of it...
I disagree, I think it would look funky as hell with a narrow little rimfire magazine. I think the full size BDM mags look best on a rimfire AR.

Unlike any other 10/22 variant, the SR-22 is compatible with any aftermarket bull barrel. However, from Jeff Quinn's review, it looks as if the factory threaded barrel is capable of fine accuracy with Wolf Match piling ten shots into .408"@50yds! There's a lot to like about this new Ruger.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22.htm

Last edited by CraigC; September 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Tags
.22lr conversion , ar-22 , ar22 , ruger sr-22