The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

Dillon 1050

Anyone out there have a Dillon 1050? My wife found one in the paper and I'm picking it up on Sun. I'm interested in any problems, pointers and what wears out or needs to replaced on a regular basis.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2
flutedchamber

Dillon 1050

I have two Dillon 1050's. One is a regular 1050 that I have had for almost 20 years. I have had no problems with this press, and find it very reliable. I load only pistol calibers on this press.

My second is a Dillon super 1050 that I have had about 5 years, also with no problem. I use this press to load rifle calibers.

The only advice I can give you is to keep the presses clean. Cover them when not in use. I use synthetic grease to lube the press. A small vaccume will keep the press free of any powder that you may spill. The only thing you may wish to buy is a spare parts kit from Dillon. One kit will suffice for both presses.

Good luck with your press.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I own a Dillon Square Deal and a 550B. A friend of mine has a 1050 that sees a lot of .45 ACP. We reload pretty quickly on it. Working as a team we once reloaded 1800 rounds on it in 45 minutes, so the machine's potential is great. The last time I visited the home of this wonder machine, I found several maintenance issues needed to be addressed (my friend is not very mechanically inclined):

The shoulder bolt on the case feeder slide that is driven by a flat sheet metal ramp had bent at the junction of the thread and shoulder and the ramped operating plate itself was no longer flat. I suspect the former bent first, moving pressure to the outside of the bolt and away from the threads, thus increasing the leverage force against the threads. Dillon sent replacements without charge, even though the unit was not in warranty.

Another problem was the machine fed primers inconsistently. I discovered a couple of very crushed and flattened primers were caught in the primer shuttle bar mechanism. The bar itself, which is not a hardened part, had developed some burrs from cramming against the smashed primers, and I had to level it surface with a flat diamond hone.

My friend had failed to perform lubrication of the press and its mechanisms, so I did some strip and clean and lube. This revealed that the primer seating mechanism was also in need of adjustment, which I also performed. I mention these items so you will check them at the beginning.

Another problem was the powder level checking indicator operated inconsistently. I tore it down and found a bit of mold flashing on the plastic sounder housing was causing it to bind on its pivot pin. A pen knife corrected that.

If you load much on any Dillon equipped with the Dillon powder measure, expect that you will need to disassemble and clean the shuttle bar and its channel from time to time; especially if you are loading a graphite coated flake powder like Bullseye or Unique. I recommend you also use Moly Fusion to treat any place on the bar where the lubrication coating has scraped off. This will restore a dry lubricating surface to it.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 10, 2006, 09:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the help guys, I sure appreciate it.