The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 6, 2011, 03:41 PM   #1
thesheepdog

New to suppressors

Hey guys,

Back again!

I'm not a firearm newbie, but I am new to suppressors, and I am looking at purchasing one soon (yes I know all legal work involved to get one).

I want to put one on my M4 Carbine (5.56mm), and I want one that is tougher than the rest, for a reasonable price (AAC has some nice ones that i would love to have).

So, AAC claims they are the toughest. Gem Tech is out of the question, because they aren't welded baffles and a recent military test (AAC passed) caused the Gem Tech to fail.

My biggest questions right now:

(1) Are there other brands just as tough as AAC, and reasonably priced like theirs?
(2) Would a 6.8 Suppressor work just fine on my 6.5 Grendel and my 5.56mm or would it be better to buy one for each (I would have to save up a while for another one).
But when it comes to sound suppression, how much would I lose using a 6.8 on a 5.56 upper?
Old September 6, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2
David Hineline

Buy an AAC 7.62SD the sound reduction you loose by oversized bore is corrected by the greater length and volume.

On gas guns like the AR/M16 type weapon a dedicated .223 silencer blows a lot of crap into the shooters face. The 30cal does not.

The YHM 30 cal Pantom is also plenty tough but it is heavier than the AAC.
Old September 7, 2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

Go here and read reviews and tests. They include decibel rated sound tests on .223 platforms:
http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forum.php

As David says, a good .308 suppressor works pretty well on a .223, when used with an adapter. It should also work well on a 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

The other thing those tests (or shooting one yourself) will tell you, is that .223 suppressors still leave a rather deafening report.

I would differ with the opinion on the gas venting. While shooting an acquaintance's AR with what I think was an AAC 7.62 SD, we got plenty of blowback straight into my eyes even with that big can. Wherever it was venting from, it was really annoying. I've also shot some ARs with a few .223 suppressors (YHM Phantom 5.56, 1 or 2 AAC models), and they were all just as annoying about venting gas back towards your face along the charging handle. SBRs tend to be worse.
Then again, take my evaluation with a grain of salt. I'm pretty pissy about gas blow back. I don't even run brakes on most of my rifles for that reason. I'd rather have the recoil.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Skans

Having never fired a suppressed pistol, I was wondering how you folks with suppressors hold your larger caliber guns with suppressors on them? Do you ever use your weak hand to hold /support the suppressor? Is there any danger to that?
Old September 7, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5
fireman1291

Pistol suppressors are light. The Osprey45 looks huge but weighs in at 10oz. No extra effort needed.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:53 PM   #6
fireman1291

To the OP

I have a AAC M4-2000 and its a GREAT can, quiet and not to heavy and built like a friggin tank. That being said, Id wait and see what the Silencerco rfile can has to offer in October.
Old September 8, 2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Poodleshooter

Quote:
Having never fired a suppressed pistol, I was wondering how you folks with suppressors hold your larger caliber guns with suppressors on them? Do you ever use your weak hand to hold /support the suppressor? Is there any danger to that?
Usually no, for a few reasons:

- Suppressors get HOT.
- Most centerfire pistol suppressors are on some sort of tilting link barrel, which requires the suppressor to use a muzzle booster-aka "Neilsen device", which is a sort of sprung counterweight that keeps the extra weight of the suppressor from messing up the unlocking portion of the pistol's cycling. Holding the suppressor would likely cause a stoppage.

The only time I've seen a suppressor used for hand placement was with old Mac10 and 11 subguns and one of those old Sionics and SWD suppressors using a nomex wrap. Those are both fixed barrels however.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Lincoln_Arms

GemTech makes a variety of .223 suppressors. They also come with a warranty like all the rest. I am a Gemtech dealer and like all their products. As with the .223, they still pack a bang even with the supressor. I use the Trek model for Demos and it is a very tough built supressor. It may benefit you to shoot a couple before making a decision. Everyone has their own opinion. Find a dealer that will let you try them out and then make you're decision.
Old September 24, 2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Griffin Armament

"
So, AAC claims they are the toughest. Gem Tech is out of the question, because they aren't welded baffles and a recent military test (AAC passed) caused the Gem Tech to fail.
"

What test? The only test I ever saw was the 416 endurance test. The G5 lasted 400-700 rounds (something like that) in AAC testing.

Then when the M4-1000 was tested independently it lasted less than 200 right?

AAC never showed a video of their suppressor going as far as the G5. <they never posted a video of their suppressor being [416 endurance] tested at all.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Jack_Bauer24

I have a AAC M4-2000 Mod8 on my Colt M4 and you can't go wrong with it. Hey, the US military are using it. Build rock solid, and fully rated for full auto, minimal POI shift. If you want the best this is it.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:03 PM   #11
subsonicenthusiast

A few years ago I bought a Gemtech m402 (.223) suppressor. I bought it because it was relativley light (it hangs on the end of my Contender pistol). when I was shopping and I saw the tinkling contest going on between AAC users and Gemtech users it reminded me of high school and the Ford vs Chevy truck rivalry.

If I was buying now, I would probably get an AAC just because of Remingtons big money backing.

I am also still satisfied with my Tac-65 (22lr) suppressor that I bought 6 years ago.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, .... That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
Old December 3, 2011, 03:36 PM   #12
thesheepdog

Well, I purchased a YHM Phantom 5.56 QD SS. My dealer gave me a great price on it.

I turned in my paperwork, so how long will I have to wait?
Old December 3, 2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

People have been saying 5 months lately. I am just a few days shy of 6 months on my current transfers.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:30 PM   #14
rjrivero

Ops Inc

I like my OPS INC suppressor. I have a 16th model. Pretty much bomb proof.