The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 6, 2008, 08:02 PM   #51
Deaf Smith

Quote:
You must have a very small tank. I have a 35 gallon tank...multiply that by 4 bucks. $140 ain't chump change to me.
Toyota Avalon, maybe 14 gal. tank, Toyota Matrix, maybe a 12 gal. tank. And gas here cost $3.77 or so a gallon.

So let's see, your hub caps may cost a $100, and so does the gas in your car. So using deadly force to stop them stealing your hub caps sounds right, hmmm?

Ok, hope were you live the laws says you cannot be sued if you use that deadly force to recover the $100 bucks of gas or hub caps. It's called "wrongful death". Think about it befoe you shoot on some kids stealing your gas.
Old June 6, 2008, 08:22 PM   #52
SilentHitz

Quote:
Think about it befoe you shoot on some kids stealing your gas.
He needs to think before he steals it. Contemplate whether it's worth risking his life or not.

BTW, I don't have hubcaps. They're 8 lug American Racing mags that came on it when I got it...they go for those, and all bets are off.

And before you ask, yes they have locking lugs on them.

Last edited by SilentHitz; June 6, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:10 PM   #53
SavageMOA

I have an idea I stole from a post a guy put on here earlier. I'm going to start putting an old gas can (so it still smells strongly of gas) out in my driveway next to my car filled with sugar-water.

Once I wake up one morning and find the can gone, I can laugh quietly to myself.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:48 PM   #54
Deaf Smith

Quote:
And before you ask, yes they have locking lugs on them.
Then get a lock for your gas cap.

And I suggest a good lawyer's card in your wallet as well as most of your assets in escrow. Keep the list of assets handy, cuase the famliy of the one you shoot will be asking for them.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:49 PM   #55
SilentHitz

Quote:
Then get a lock for your gas cap.
If you took time to read my other post, you'll see I already have one. Geez
Old June 6, 2008, 09:56 PM   #56
SamHouston

I might not shoot someone over $4 a gallon gas. Now if it get's up to $8-10 a gallon that may be a different story.

Remember gas rationing? Would you shoot someone if it was being rationed and you only got 10 gallons a week ?
Old June 6, 2008, 11:09 PM   #57
Jacobie

Use a net gun to detain them unti the police can arrive. I am posting from my phone now so I can't post a link, but someone can google it. There is a company that makes them and they ma be effectve, cool toy even if there not.
Old June 6, 2008, 11:50 PM   #58
Swampghost

One of my favorite stories. '73 gas crunch, 24' boat on trailer in front yard gets siphoned for about 30 gals. Not discovered until the next weekend. The next week I pull the boat in from the other side of the circular drive. Mon. morning there's puke all over the driveway.................the thief siphoned the holding tank!

Paybacks are a B.
Old June 6, 2008, 11:52 PM   #59
BurkGlocker

Just the other day I said something one here about people stealing gas in our neighborhood; funny how these posts come up on here...LOL But seriously, with gasoline getting close to $4 a gallon and diesel over that, we can only hope that there's no natural disaster in the Gulf this year, or we will be seeing gas going up to $7-10 a gallon. Remeber Katrina? It upped the price of gas 30-40% in some areas.

The thing about locking gas caps around here, is that the thiefs are smart, they just go right for the filler neck with a hack saw, or as someone said earlier just drill a hole in the tank. My father has lost two full tanks of gas just within the past 3 months. But whether or not deadly force should be used to protect your property is a conumdrum, but with the rising price of gas and fuels it will easiliy become a felony crime just to even think of stealing it. And just as someone stated earlier the judicial system works for the criminals nowadays, so you can only imagine the field day they would have with Average Joe American taking out a 'gas thief' for stealing a tank full of gas.

The thing about being an American with a SD weapon is to know what situations warrant the use of deadly force, but theft of my hard earned cash and/or property clouds my judgement just a little...
Old June 7, 2008, 08:28 AM   #60
hoytinak

Quote:
Use a net gun to detain them unti the police can arrive.
Then they'd just sue you for kidnapping then abd they'd prolly win.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:46 AM   #61
Glenn E. Meyer

6 Bucks by labor day!

All Hail Cheney!

Wonder if GWB will be a 'consultant' for oil companies when he tap dances off the White House porch for the last time.

Anyway shooting someone for gas will solve your mileage problems as you walk from Cell Block A to B.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:00 PM   #62
Hardtarget

Not only is it $4.00/gal gas. If they drill your tank...its about $400.00 to replace the tank. Lay just $40.00 on the table. Are you going to just let some thug walk off with it? Why is it ok to shoot a robber...but don't dare "protect property"? That property cost me a part of my life..(work every day) to get the money for it. Thugs best leave it alone.

Mark.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:35 PM   #63
Stevie-Ray

I doubt very much I'd use a gun at all, but if I could sneak up on him before he ran, he'd get a very broken nose. Let him do whatever the hell he wants as far as the law goes with that.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:37 PM   #64
Rant Casey

I have two vehicles, a 2002 Hummer H1 v8 diesel and a v10 ford excursion, needless to say I spend roughly 300/week on fuel. I can't imagine how i'd react if I saw someone stealing my gas, I know I wouldn't shoot them as much as i'd like to because we can't defend property with deadly force here, however I would venture a guess that they'd be having a bad day any way you look at it.

I should buy a hybrid, but what fun is that?
Old June 7, 2008, 10:56 PM   #65
Csspecs

I'm planning on buying a few new gas cans this summer, the old ones will be filled with dirty water and about 3 cups of gas so that they smell right. I'll leave them in a shed before you would reach the cars walking in from the road.

I really hope I get someone
Old June 7, 2008, 11:24 PM   #66
Socrates

If I had one of those huge tanks, I wouldn't fill it past 1/4.
Plus, everytime I go into a gas station, I can wash my windows, use their water, and air, and generally get back a minimal amount of the outrageous amounts they are charging...
Old June 8, 2008, 12:15 AM   #67
chuckrusty

i see we had a few comments about dogs,

we have had dogs as long as i can remember, i live in a rural area and through the years the dogs have run several would be thieves off,
and thats just the ones i know about, who knows how much they have saved us over the years, i presently have one adult and one pup, and my brother who lives maybe a hundred yards away also has one adult and one pup, and the sire who is to old to be of much use right now , but to sentimental to put him down, just a little over a month ago, dad heard a commotion out back at 2:00 am, and saw a dark dressed figure hightailing around the hillside, with a large agitated dog in hot pursuit!
Old June 8, 2008, 12:46 AM   #68
skeeter1

Quote:
several vehicles parked outside are getting drained by a group of goblins.
Well, for starters, if you have a garage, you might want to try putting your cars in it. I have several neighbors who use their garages as workshops/storage spaces/garage sales/party centers, etc. If they get ripped off, I haven't got one bit of sympathy.
Old June 8, 2008, 10:27 AM   #69
flccnp

I was figuring that as gas prices went up the gang bangers wouldn't be able to afford the gas and would start doing walk-bys.

I guess not.
Old June 8, 2008, 01:35 PM   #70
kybriarbuster

gas cap

you can take a screwdriver and pop out the lock on a locking cap and have it off faster than with a key. i lost my key on a recent hunting trip and was getting ready to fill up and had no key. save your money. sam
Old June 8, 2008, 07:11 PM   #71
Jacobie

I still say netgun.
www.lawenforcementmall.com
Old June 8, 2008, 10:35 PM   #72
armoredman

I carpool. Where we park our cars has a cop going by at odd times, but usually within a few minutes of each other - station is about 1/16 mile from there. I park directly under a streetlight, angled so the gas cap is visible from the street. Hopefully that will help. I don't have a locking cap, as I agree - I'd rather replace $44 worth of gas, (small tank), than argue about my deductable with the insurance company.
At night it's garaged.
Old June 8, 2008, 11:57 PM   #73
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I hear you. Both my vehicles are supercharged V8 F150s. One is a daily driver, the other is more or less a toy. They both burn premium, of course. This sucks, but of course I didn't buy either of them for their stellar gas mileage. Gas was less than 2 bucks a gallon, though.
Old June 9, 2008, 04:34 AM   #74
LanceOregon

Quote:
Wait for the new 2009 autos to come out. Honda just announced they will have 3 new Hybrid vehicles for 2009. And that they will all be affordable.

The next improved generation of Toyota Prius is coming out in the 2009 model year also. And there are industry reports that it is going to get over 20 more miles per gallon than the current Prius.

Old June 9, 2008, 05:52 AM   #75
GoSlash27

Quote:
Locking gas caps only prevent the stupid from getting fuel.
As opposed to? If they were smart they wouldn't be stealing gas.

I'll state the obvious just one more time before I bow out of this thread:

If you employ deadly force to protect your gasoline, feel free to explain to the judge how expensive it is or how the thief limited your options in an emergency or whatever you like, but you will still spend the rest of your life in Federal prison.