The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2002, 12:59 AM   #1
SanduneCC

Fightin’ shotgun for small fry - W1300 vs. LT-20?

I’m a small fry at 5’5’’ and 140lbs. Still looking for a HD shotgun that fits me and is comfortable enough for me to enjoy training more with it. My first and current gun is a pump Win1300 Defender in 20G. I’m having a hard time shooting this gun because the LOP is long couple with the fact that it’s a pump - which means my support arm gotta reach way out there - makes it feel real awkward. Is it feasible to shorten a synthetic stock? I don’t have the tools or skills, so how much would it cost to have this done?

I handled a Rem 1100 LT-20 and really liked it. The LOP is shorter and it’s not a pump so my left hand doesn’t have to reach quite so far. I also like its black synthetic furniture. Is this the better gun for me as a versatile close/medium range defensive weapon? I can think of a few issues with it. Can the 20” vent rib barrel be cut down to a more compact 18”? Can a mag extension be installed? What about installing some GR sights? Thanks for any info.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:15 AM   #2
Ron L

First off, are either of these guns youth models? The youth models normally have a stock that's 1"-1.5" shorter than the standard stock, thereby reducing the LOP by that much. Second, because of the nature of the pump handle having to start further forward from the receiver than the semi-auto stock, the starting LOP on a semi would be shorter anyway. Youth stocks are available through the factory or places like Cabelas or even your local gun shop or a gun show. I've heard that some synthetic stocks don't lend themselves to cutting them shorter.

I don't think it would be possible to shorten the barrel on a VR gun. Sure, you could probably cut it at some point, but it'll have to be done at a point taking the posts for the VR into consideration. It would probably be easier to buy the Defender barrel that Winchester offers in 20 that's already 18" long and has a fiber optic front bead. I only had 5 minutes to look, but the shortest barrel I could find readily available for the 1100 in 20 ga was 20" with the rifle sights, not a bad way to go for a HD gun. A ghost ring receiver sight with the front rifle sight would make a great sighting system. Otherwise, if you find a plain old barrel in some used bin, a gunsmith could cut it back and remount the front bead for around $50.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old August 15, 2002, 08:32 AM   #3
HSMITH

Your synthetic stock can be cut, but it is not easy. The pad is the structure for the butt end of the stock, so it must be fitted to the end of the stock well after cutting. Take it in and have it done, it should be $60 or less.

You can shorten the VR barrel but the posts are going to decide the finished length as mentioned above unless you remove the rib totally.
Old August 15, 2002, 08:40 PM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

The 1100 lightweight is a very good choice.

When stoked with slugs, it can best be compared to a semi auto version of the brown bess.

my mossberg has a 20 inch barrel, and i don't find it too long. (i've shortened the buttstock by an inch and a half, which makes the gun the same OAl as an 18.5 inch barrelled full stock model.

chopping the buttstock an inch is better than chopping an inch off the barrel, handyness wise.

I'd leave the vent rib barrel intact. a bead is fine mor most serious persuits, anyway. for surface to surface and surface to air work, fit is more important than ghost ring sights.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:58 PM   #5
mikey357

Go with the Remington 1100 LT-20 "Youth Model"...it is what you seek...as well as being TWICE the gun that the Winchester is....mikey357
Old August 16, 2002, 07:29 PM   #6
SanduneCC

Thanks you guys. I appreciate all the comments.
Old August 16, 2002, 07:52 PM   #7
Duke of Lawnchair

Sandune,

What's the plan for the weekend???
Old August 16, 2002, 10:29 PM   #8
rugerfreak

Rem Exp 870 Youth 20ga-----short LOP----21'' VR barrel----choke tubes----lighter than the 1100----able to use 3'' shells----and can usually be had brand new for less than $250.

Mine sits next to the bed(empty chamber-- decocked--4 shells in the mag)---the short stock takes a little for me to get used to----but it's one very handy little HD gun.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:45 PM   #9
Ron L

We're seeing 870 Express Youth for around that $250 price. I think my son would rather have an 1100, but that's quite a bit more $$. In fact, Gander Mountain just had them on sale for $229. If you apply for the store Master Card, you get 10% off your purchase. That's only $207! Great price for a great SG.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old August 19, 2002, 11:12 PM   #10
SanduneCC

Thanks for all the tips. My crystal ball says there's a Rem 20G Youth Express coming to stay