The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 4, 2016, 11:04 PM   #1
gmarr

.338 Federal

Ok, really like this caliber. Enough to start shopping a rifle (bolt action). So, what's the real world experience with it? Not a caliber preference argument, just performance. Any help will be appreciated.
Old October 4, 2016, 11:14 PM   #2
TXAZ

The .338 has ballistic performance that is hard to beat for the price per round.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 4, 2016, 11:32 PM   #3
taylorce1

No experience with the .338 Federal, but I do have experience with the .338-06 and .358 Winchester. You'll be served well by the .338 Fed, but I'd stay with bullets of 210 grains or less. Besides you shouldn't need real heavy bullets of .225+ grains for anything.

I think pretty much it has been dropped by most manufacturers except Savage and that's only because ATK owns both Federal and Savage. It's a neat cartridge, but like many other neat cartridges it doesn't do anything truly better than the more common cartridges. At normal ranges it doesn't do anything significantly better than a .308 except make bigger holes, and at long range the .308 beats it.
Old October 5, 2016, 06:09 AM   #4
Mobuck

338 Federal is a dandy cartridge for use where range is limited but you want to deliver a bigger diameter bullet than a .308 caliber. Probably great for thick timber elk/moose and definitely overkill for deer.
I have a 338/06 that I built for limited range(under 300 yards) use on elk-unfortunately, circumstances prevented me from ever getting to try it for that purpose. This was a compromise as I didn't feel I could tolerate the recoil of my first choice--338 Win mag.
Old October 5, 2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
I think pretty much it has been dropped by most manufacturers except Savage and that's only because ATK owns both Federal and Savage.
DPMS still makes an AR-10 in .338 Federal
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old October 5, 2016, 10:05 AM   #6
jmr40

A 30-06 shoots the same bullet weights at the same speeds as 338 Fed. with about the same recoil. But the same bullet weights in 30 caliber have much better BC's and SD's meaning they penetrate deeper and retain speed and energy much better as well as shooting flatter as range increases. If you compare 338 fed. to 30-06 it offers no advantages, only disadvantages. The .03" larger diameter isn't enough to help with a bigger hole in game, it just hinders penetration and aerodynamics.

Most people don't consider loading heavier bullets in 308, but with some of the better 200 gr loads 308 beats 338 fed with 200-210 gr bullets at all ranges.

I played around with a 338-06 for a few years. Just like the smaller 338 fed both are cool rounds that kill stuff. For the guy who just wants to be different they are a good choice. Just don't expect better performance than other existing rounds. Once hunters figured this out the 338 Fed sort of fell out of style quickly. And why the 338-06 never really caught on.

Anytime you can load the same bullet weights in 2 different calibers, the smaller caliber will out perform the larger one. A 150gr bullet from a 270 spanks a 150gr bullet from a 30-06. Bullet length is the key, not weight or diameter so much. All else being equal longer bullets penetrate better and have better aerodynamics. As you go up in caliber you need to also go up in bullet weight. The 33's don't start showing advantages over the 30's until you get into bullet weights over 250 gr.
Old October 5, 2016, 10:14 AM   #7
reynolds357

I have no experience with the .338 Federal, but Ruger has some nice rifles available in .338RCM. Similar ballistics. My smallest .338 is a .338-06. My largest is a .338/416 Rigby AI. Right there knocking on its door is my .338 Lapua.
Old October 5, 2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Wyosmith

Any bolt action and probably most other 308 rifle, lever, auto single shot, or pump could be rebarreled to 338 Fed.

If I were to make one I'd probably start with a Mauser, like a Yugo 98 or other KAR M98 and just build it from the action up. Making the 308 feed from the KAR 8mm Magazine is not too hard to do in most cases.

You do the barrel work and then do the feed lips. Once you get it to feed smoothly you weld on a new bolt handle, re-work or replace the trigger, and install a new safety (if you are going to mount a scope in the regular position.) Then install the sights and/or scope base.

Lastly you stock it with any stock you like, be it wood, laminate or plastic.

When you are done you can have the rifle you want, instead of one that's "pretty close"
Old October 5, 2016, 01:02 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

It's yet another answer to an unasked question. Only issue is that it is only loaded by Federal in limited bullet weights. Ballistics are on Federal's site.
Ballistics for a 185 grain Fusion MSR(Federal's suggested deer ammo) aren't very impressive. Starts at 2680 fps(2950 ft-lbs. of energy) Down to 2447 fps(2459 ft-lbs.) at 100 yards. Sighted in at 100 it drops 4.3" at 200, 15.7" at 300.
Same bullet weight in their AE brand is a bit better. It's a 185 grain SP they think it target ammo. Still drops velocity and energy fast though.
And the chances of finding ammo in small places are slim.
However, Savage makes several models in .338 Federal. Three Model 11's, 3 Model 16's.
Old October 5, 2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
to 30-06 it offers no advantages, only disadvantages.
Shorter action.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old October 5, 2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

Why, it's almost a reinvention of the 8MM Mauser. A little less versatile for bullet weights, but 6mm shorter in length, plus you can use resized 308 Winchester brass. It's a Must-Reload cartridge in my view. It will doubtless put Venison on the table. What would matter more to me is the rifle that goes with it. Since I strongly favor the Model 70 Winchester for a bolt-gun, I would pass on that caliber. But you have fun with it; I'm sure it will satisfy you.
Old October 5, 2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

One day I'll have my Ruger .308 Compact rifle (16 inch barrel) rebarreled to either .358 Winchester or .338 Federal.

Just not sure which round. I want a short super light blaster (kind of like Jeff Cooper's Fire Plug, but his was in .350 Remington Magnum.)

Deaf