The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
DocDH

Locations for Prairie Dog Hunting

I'm new to this forum, but glad I found it because it's quite a source of information on just about everything.

So here's my question...does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a good location to hunt/shoot prairie dogs? I'm thinking along the lines of an outfitter that will drop me off, brief me on the area, supply with map(s), leave me to camp and shoot for 2-5 days, then pick-up.

I'm interested in locations public or private, pay or free. I could just use some good starting points.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Doc
Old June 7, 2006, 07:33 PM   #2
silicon wolverine

What state do you want to hunt in? If you feel like traveling, south dakota is a great place to hunt. IF interested let me know and ill hook you up.

SW
Old June 8, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3
taylorce1

Not knowing you and what kind of hunter that you are I would have a hard time turning you loose for 2-5 days alone. Your best bet is to book a hunt in SD or TX but the only problem with that is generally a minimum number of hunters required. If you wanted to hunt here in CO you have to find private land and I could get you a supervised hunt for two days where there would be a public camping area near by. There would be no cost unless the landowners want to charge acess to their property.
Old June 8, 2006, 09:10 AM   #4
DocDH

Silicon Wolverine - S. Dakota sounds a-ok to me. Thanks so much for the reply. I'm thinking of a group of 6-8. If you want to send me specifics or contact info, my email address is [email protected]

Taylorce1 - You know, I have to admit that my first post may have sounded a bit curious. No, you don't know the type of hunter I am, so helping me out/trusting me would be a bit risky. But I'll give you some info. I'm not a hunter, just a long range shooter...it's a hobby. My dad taught me to shoot when I was about 12 or so. He was a Marine Corps sniper in Viet Nam, so naturally he taught me that "form" of shooting. My main goal is to get my dad, myself, and a few others together for a few days of "comraderie" - nothing structured or scheduled (like a guided hunt), just a few guys hanging out...shooting if we want, camping out/telling lies, you get the point. I'm not against a "guided" hunt, I was just more interested in a more relaxed atmosphere. Thanks for the reply!
Old June 8, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Jack O'Conner

Contact USDA in Wall, SD. They can provide of map of Buffalo Gap Nat'l Grasslands. This vast area has abundant prairie dog towns. There are several good motels in Wall. Great burgers and draft beer at the Cowboy Bar across from Wall Drug. Best bulk ammo prices at First Stop Gun Store in Rapid City.

Good shooting to you.
Jack
Old June 8, 2006, 10:20 AM   #6
MatthewM

I set up our first hunt in the fall two years ago.
We flew to Pierre, SD and were picked up by this really nice family and taken to their new lodging.

Lodging, meals, loaned us a suburban, shooting rights at 3 locations. Facilities real nice with large great room/dining room, commercial kitchen, bar, about 8 two bed rooms.

I won't tell you their fees as they were way too low and probably raised a bit now.

Talk to wife Stacey as she runs things:
http://www.shurshotlodge.com/

Just make sure to inquire as to how many prairie dogs around and how many locations they have setup for you to shoot. At the time, it was just enough. Hopefully they've added one or two more locations. Tell them you want them to confirm permission on 4 spots.

It was the first time for us all and we had a blast, I got one at 550yds with my 223.

Very nice people that could use the business for sure.
Old June 8, 2006, 07:12 PM   #7
taylorce1

In CO you have to hunt P-dogs on private property because they are protected on public lands. Unfortunately you will have to be "guided" if you want access to the private lands most land owners want someone that they know watching over the hunters. I could get you access for a group no larger than 4 people that is about the max the land owners will allow at one time. I do this service for free and that is why I mentioned for two days only, and it has to be over a weekend. Ask Art Eatman if you have any questions on about hunting P-dogs with me. If you are respectful of the property on which you get access I can introduce you to the land owner and if you want to come out again some time they might let you do it without me being there.

I was never questioning your ability to shoot.
Old June 8, 2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I definitely had a heckuva great time!

, Art
Old June 8, 2006, 11:02 PM   #9
PackingDDS

Welcome DocDH

Welcome to TFL. Good luck finding a praire dog hunt. Do you happen to be a dentist? I'm a general dentist in Ohio. There aren't too many docs in my nec of the woods who are fans of firearms, so your post caught my attention. Have you ever tried pheasant hunting? S.D. is also a great place to go pheasant hunting.
Old June 9, 2006, 11:33 AM   #10
DocDH

PackingDDS - Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm a DMD in Louisville. You're right, not too many firearms fans here either. I've heard pheasant hunting is a really good time - might like to try it someday. Like I previously posted, though, I wouldn't label myself a hunter - just haven't had the opportunitiy to do much. NOTE: I have no issues with hunting WHATSOEVER....my shooting experiences tend to be long range target (I do enjoy nailing the occasional ground hog in my dad's backyard or the troublesome squirrel eating all of the bird food).
Old June 9, 2006, 04:11 PM   #11
silicon wolverine

Doc, e mail sent

SW
Old June 10, 2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Desertfox

Have fun w/the prarie dogs Doc. Welcome to TFL. Glad you joined us.

In S.D., I hear there is a rule for out-of-state hunters. "One prarie dog for every 3 lies you tell in camp." This should give you plenty of chances to make that fish bigger and that mountain lion sighting scarier. Have fun.
Old June 11, 2006, 07:56 AM   #13
silicon wolverine

Dont joke about mountain lions around here. A lady hit one with her car about a month ago and it ended up staring at her through the windshield after she hit it. 190 pound female with paws the size of a dinner plate. One big a$$ cat.

SW
Old November 1, 2007, 06:37 PM   #14
spence03

prairie doggin!

taylorce:
i understand your cautiousness to take inexperienced shooters/hunters prairie dogging. i am a former marine i did my four years including two tours to iraq and my roommate, whom i served with, and i are not avid hunters but we are avid shooters and understand safety and maturity has its place. we are very interested to find a place here in the springs to shoot and i would be interested in any information you could give me.
Old November 1, 2007, 09:45 PM   #15
Full-choke

Yea, so my family went out on vacation one year with rifles and ammo to go prairie dogging. We had hopes of going out and finding a good gun store somewhere and getting hooked up with someone. But, when we were sitting in a country bumpkin' restaurant beside the local elevator we got to talking to the waitress and she hooked us up with a rancher sitting at the bar who had in fact been complaining about it a few days before. My that was a good time ...

I got my first case of scope bite on that trip too...13 years old and never shot a scoped rifle before...needless to say a 30-30 Marlin 336 has a little more jump then expected and I didn't know what eye relief was . Good souvenir...nice little scar and a good time.

F-C
Old November 2, 2007, 01:18 AM   #16
MatthewM

After the SD trip, I went back in June 2006.
A road trip from Calif through NV, Utah, to WY. From Rock Springs WY across to Casper.
Kinneman took us out at Rock Springs. That SW area of WY wasn't much fun. The prairie dogs there are the other breed and don't live in colonies. They were spread out here and there in the sage. Between the wind, sage & sparse targets, we moved on.

Casper was much better. We drove up to a mechanic shop and an employee there immediately befriended us. He sent us just east of town and further east. We found plenty of towns of medium density. Mike also took us north of Casper to a friend's large private property where we shot many more. We spent about 3 days in Casper. When we left, we went almost due south. We found a little square of public property and I shot about 50 with my 22lr "barracuda".
The long shots of the trip were: Me- 250yds 22lr. 350yds 17HMR. Ron said he got one at something like 600yds, 223. I don't recall. It was his first trip for pdogs and he'd only had two trips for coyotes before that. 60yrs old for first hunting trips!

***WY has some outrageous trespassing laws and much is not marked and inter-mingled. A map showing private/public and a GPS are essential. The maps are easy to buy locally.
Old November 2, 2007, 11:31 AM   #17
arizona hunter

I know of some good guides in WY and SD if you need info. Besides p-dogs they can provide room and board.
Old June 26, 2008, 09:39 AM   #18
doni79

Searching for Prairie Dogs

I have a friend who will be visiting from out of state that wants a place to hunt prairie dogs. He's a retired officer from the Va State Police and very safe, or I wouldn't ask. Does anyone know of or have any information on ranches near or east of the Denver area? Any help greatly appreciated.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:48 PM   #19
dogzilla

General Request For Southern Wyo Pdog Shooting Info

Hi Guys,

I am seeking some helpful info on where to go blast some prairie rats in the
cheyenne and casper areas.. or even a little bit more south towards the colorado border.

thanks in advance,

DogZilla
Old March 1, 2009, 08:35 PM   #20
Fat White Boy

I think prairie dog hunting should be called prairie dog shooting. I am in Southern Calif. We don't have prairie dogs but we do have ground aquirrels. Almost the same critter. You don't hunt them in the traditional sense of the word hunt. There is no tracking or stalking. You drive till you see a group of them, set up and start picking them off. About as much fun as you can have with your jeans above your ankles. I feel the same about Dove. It is more of a shoot than a hunt...Just my 2 pesos worth...
Old March 1, 2009, 08:47 PM   #21
guntotin_fool

go to varminthunter.com. get the magazine, lots of places in there, and lots of people who will help you. far more a clique thing, once you get known and trusted, the places come out of the woodwork to start shooting. They get a lot of bad eggs show up, leave a mess, eff it up for the rest of us, so be on your best behavior, and don't expect a huge welcome your first time, its like your on probation. pass that, and you will be happy for years
Old April 5, 2009, 10:21 PM   #22
pappadeere

Going to South Dakota on Vacation

And we are wanting to find someplace that would let us go Prairie Dog Hunting. Also can you go on public lands? We are going in July and I need some information on what we need to do... License's etc... Thanks Richard
Old April 5, 2009, 11:30 PM   #23
longranger

Spring will show up about 1Jul, we have a foot of snow on the ground right now the "dogs" are still asleep.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:19 AM   #24
guntotin_fool

SOrry, that was www.varminthunter.org
Old May 3, 2009, 09:52 PM   #25
deancamp

South Dakota prairie dog hunt

I'm looking for a place to shoot dogs in SD for a group of four. I would prefer to hunt with a private individual that needs the dogs thinned down. I would also consider other options. Any help with information or just point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks