The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Transferrable Oerlikon question?

I wonder if there are any transferrable 20 mm Oerlikons left in the world, and if so how much would they cost?

Also, would they be licenced as machine guns or DDs?

IIRC Oerlikon was a Swiss firm which sold to both Allies and Axis during WW-II. I recall reading US warships used these cannons and they were credited with shooting down many Kamakazis.
Old May 14, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
locked'n'cocked

sorry, i dont know. if you get one though can i shoot it?

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old May 14, 2005, 10:56 AM   #3
shaggy

As I recall LMO had one for sale a few years ago. I can't remember the price, but I do seem to recall it was not cheap, even back then. Of course, if you're prepared to be shooting 20mm full auto (at about $35-50/round) I doubt you'll suffer from sticker shock. As far as registrations, if its full auto (and transferable) it must be registered as a MG, even if it may be classified as a DD for other reasons. Something like an Oerlikon may need dual registrations (both as a MG and as a DD), but I dubt it - I think the MG registration trumps the DD.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

Actually I'd not only never be able to afford one but I I'd not really have any use for it. So the question is mostly curiosity.

I just wonder sometimes about the loss of our history whenever I hear that they've cut up another WW-II fighting ship and sent the steel scrap over to Red China to be made into eyelets for athletic shoes or something else worthwhile.
Old May 15, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5
shaggy

There's some good stuff like the oerlikon still around and in private hands, though usually the only ones you see are in museums. For example, I know several people who own things like 20mm Lahtis, a PTRS/D, watercooled 50's, etc. In fact there was recently a 25mm Puteaux AT cannon that sold on subguns. 25mm Puteaux
Old May 16, 2005, 07:27 PM   #6
locked'n'cocked

do you know what that was priced at? i wanna see if i could ever afford one.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old May 20, 2005, 02:14 PM   #7
guntotin_fool

There is a guy in wisconsin who has a functional 37mm US anti tank gun. on wheels and with ammo, I think the last time I saw one on the Market if was in excess of 75,000. Because no HE ammo was ever made for the Gun, I do believe it is the only one of its type that is possible to buy.

many years ago I was in guatemala on a missions trip and we were able to walk in to town to see what was going on, In town was a gun shop that had a M2 for a couple thousand, g-3's and ak for about a hundred. US property marked M-16 in A1 configurations for about 75, demand was for the AK as it worked better in the jungle. Every adult male there carried something. M1 carbines, M1's m3 greaseguns mausers, FAL's were there too. mines grenades you name it. it was all stuff that came across the border during the contra, drug wars. Out front was one of those russian AA mounts with a 14.7 (iirc) dual purpose. quite fun.
Old March 27, 2006, 05:19 PM   #8
crankymann

Oerlikon 20mm cannons for sale.

I have plenty of Oerlikon 20mm cannon available for sale, each come with 60 rd drum mag, loading tool, and cleaning rod and brush.
Price $2000.00 each, freight and paperwork extra.
Ex New Zealand.
Old December 4, 2009, 05:58 AM   #9
ashleybateup

20mm Oerlikon

I am looking for MkIV 20mm Oerlikon barrels (NATO Stock Number) 99 962 47380 - following this thread ( I know sometime ago ) it appears that some still exist.

Any guidance?

Thanks
Old December 4, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

Post a want add on Subguns or Strum

I saw one sell a year or so ago. Couldn't say how much, not really my thing..
Old December 4, 2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Chipperman

Have you tried looking in Shotgun News? There's a lot of really esoteric stuff out there.

If you don't see any ads there, you could try calling Sarco and see if they have any leads.
Closed Thread