The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
adickerson4life

Curious about 3 gun

I am just curious about 3 Gun Competitions. I know a guy that recently started to do them? What is the main goal to it. How do you win? What type of guns do you use for it? ETC.... I guess can someone just explain the whole idea of 3 gun competitions in general to me?
Old May 21, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I am hardly a veteran 3-gun shooter, but I have shot in 1 match, and am planning on shooting in another this fall. It entails shooting shotgun, rifle and pistol, in different stages. Some stages will have you shooting only one weapon, and some will be set up for more than one. For example, you might have to hit several targets with a rifle, put the rifle down, run to another station, and start hitting targets with the pistol. On another stage, you might have to run a course and shoot a bunch of targets with the shotgun only. We had stationary targets, moving targets, pop-up targets, shoot/no-shoot, etc. As I recall, it's based on time. You are timed in clearing various stages, and the there are time penalties for things like "didn't neutralize target," and things like that. I didn't even come close to winning, but it was TONS of fun to shoot.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
g.willikers

Might as well just go to the source.
http://3gunnation.com/
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
and then scroll down the page to the multi gun section.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
RickB

There is, or was, a distinction between "3 Gun" and "Multigun". The former requires the use of handgun, rifle, and shotgun, but they're shot separately, and the scores for the three guns are combined. Multigun can have the use of the guns combined on some or all of the stages, requiring transitioning among the three guns.
The scores of the multiple Courses of Fire, or "stages" are combined to determine the overall winner. So, the format of a 3 Gun match might be two stages shot with the rifle, two with the shotgun, and two with the handgun. A Multigun match might have you engaging targets with rifle and pistol on one stage, rifle and shotgun on another, rifle only on another, etc.
There are different competitive divisions, and which division you choose will determine what sort of gear you will use.
Most people shoot a 9mm handgun, .223 rifle, and 12ga shotgun.
Different sanctioning bodies have different mixes of equipment, so to an extent, you need to tailor your gear for the specific game.
When I shot USPSA Multigun, I shot in Limited division and Heavy Metal division. At that time neither Limited nor Heavy Metal allowed optics, so all of my guns had iron sights. Today, I don't think there are any competitions that don't allow at least non-magnified optics of some kind.
Some people will buy very specialized gear, while others, like me, take more of a "run what you brung" approach, shooting guns that you might already own.
I had a 12ga pump shotgun, a 1911 .45, and a M1 Garand, so I shot Heavy Metal division where those guns are legal, and appropriate. When I shot Limited, I substituted an AR or M1 Carbine for the rifle.
It's fun, but the price and availability of ammo today can make it hard to either assemble, or afford, all that's necessary.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Pahoo

What is Stage-1

Don't know much about it but do appreciate good shooting. This young lass has to have great coaching. Not sure what Stage-1 is and could someone explain? .....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Shoot straight and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Re: Curious about 3 gun

Pahoo, Katie Francis is sponsored by Freedom Munitions, who also sponsor my Multigun shooting team. She is a great shot, and she loves the sport. Being 13 she is definitely on the young side of the age spectrum, but that doesn't keep her from scoring up with those guys who have been competing for awhile.

That stage that she was shooting started with a stage gun (a gun that every competitor uses to shoot the stage). From there was a little shotgun shooting with reloads and she finished by dumping the shotgun and engaging the pistol targets. As far as the stage goes, it was very straight forward and did not leave competitors much of a chance to "game" it.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Pahoo

Fascinating

allaroundhunter
I thank you, Sir. The only competition I have shot, was a few years back, at Friendship. I found this video and her shooting, simply fascinating. I guess this old dog could learn new tricks. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 21, 2013, 09:51 PM   #8
LSnSC

3 gun and multi gun are the same thing. USPSA and IDPA use "multigun" most other organizations and clubs use the term 3 gun. The goal is to hit the targets as accurate and as fast as you can. It is by far the most enjoyable shooting sport Ive participated in.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
lmccrock

Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quote:
That stage that she was shooting started with a stage gun (a gun that every competitor uses to shoot the stage).
We do not have full-auto stage guns at every match. That was a stage sponsored by Remington Defense, and that is one of their products.

Matches are divided into "stages", or "courses of fire". There may be 4-6 in a local match, 10-12 at a big, multi-day match. They vary, depending on the facility. Sometimes in a bay with berms, sometimes open terrain like that one.

RickB had the equipment summary. I will clarify by adding a single optic is allowed on a rifle; adding an optic sight to a handgun or shotgun puts you in Open where the equipment cost outlay is substantially higher.