The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
iamdb

Problem with my first loads ?

I set up my turret today. I am having a couple of problems. The first is the FLR seems to be causing a bulge to one side. I set ti exactly according to RCBS instructions. I watched the video as well. My brass after resizing would stick in my Wilson case gauge. The other problem I'm having is the when I seat the bullets, There is a big bulge at the base of the bullet. I have also been getting score marks on the brass just above the head. The seater plug on my die says .38 RN and the other says 38/9mm TMJ. I am using Zero 124gr FMJ RN's. The TMJ plug was cutting into the jacket. The RN plug seems over sized and looks like its smearing the tip a little bit. Any ideas? I tried messing with the crimp, even seating the die so the crimp would not engage the jacket Nothing seemed to help.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Last edited by iamdb; March 5, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
steve4102

9mm??
Old March 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
iamdb

yes. 9mm 124gr. Zero FMJ round nose on a Lee Classic Turret with RCBS dies.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 5, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Check the fired brass first. If they have a bulge the die will not correct his.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
iamdb

Some do have a bulge. But I got the same results from unfired brass. I started another thread to address one problem at a time since response was slow to this collection of problems I am having.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481420
Old March 7, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
larzb93

you might be opening up the mouth to much, try and back out the plug. you might you your crimp setting too deep also. try and experiment with the die settings. good luck!