The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
mlcompound

1st training class...

I am stoked to get to do my first tactical pistol class in April. Although, they recommend 4 magazines for the class. I only have 2 for my px4 9mm and I have found that there are none available anywhere. Would this be a problem for the typical class? I have also tried to find some to borrow for the weekend but not too many people have this gun. What should I do?
Old March 15, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Buzzcook

Call the people running the class. They might have a line on mags.

But I'm sure they won't let just having two get in the way of learning.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
pax

Keep looking for magazines. If the class calls for four magazines, it's a sure bet that some of the drills will require you to reload four times before refilling your magazines. You really don't want to be the guy slowing the rest of the class down because you're frantically stuffing mags while everyone else is standing there ready to shoot.

Yes, a good instructor will do his or her best to flex around your needs, but the equipment list is there for a reason. It is to make the class flow as efficiently as possible for everyone involved.

pax
Old March 16, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4
KO3422

I'd bring as many as possible and "preloaded" if possible, I'd check first. Since some drills don't require a full mag.

It sucks when you/we have to wait on the line for someone to reload.

If it were me, two mags are on the thin side for a class. One mag could go down, you never know. IMHO, I think if you do take the class with only two mags, you'll be wishing you brought more. I'd want your first class experience to be an enjoyable memory and not a time where you spend more time reloading and not paying attention to the instructors since you're worrying about your empty mags.

ETA: I remember one class, I brought about 40ish mags loaded. It was great not wearing out my thumbs and taking a breather while everyone topped off mags as fast as possible.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:23 AM   #5
MarkDozier

I wonder if the 4 mags rule was for 1911 users to be able to keep up with other high cap pistols?
Old March 17, 2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDozier
I wonder if the 4 mags rule was for 1911 users to be able to keep up with other high cap pistols?
I doubt it. Having taken a number of classes, the more magazines the better -- even with double stack guns. And there will no doubt be some drills, like speed reloads and malfunction clearances, where multiple magazines would be needed no matter how many rounds each magazine held.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 17, 2013, 08:02 AM   #7
mlcompound

Re: 1st training class...

Sheesh. I had originally opted out of the class because of financial reasons but one of the guys (it's some guys from our church) sponsored my spot in the class. If anyone has a px4 9mm and would be willing to loan out a couple magazines I could pay shipping and send some boolits or lead in return. I have my buddy at the LGS looking all over as well.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:35 AM   #8
guncheese

seems sportsmans guide has some in stock
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1149519

wow are those things pricey!

and there are some here as well

http://www.botachtactical.com/bepima.html

Last edited by guncheese; March 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:43 AM   #9
mlcompound

Mine has a 15 round magazine. Anyone know if the 20 round works or if they are alot bigger?
Old March 17, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10
mlcompound

Btw, thanks for looking for me. I may have to get a couple if I can find the money.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #11
raimius

Definitely query the instructor(s). Sometimes they can find work arounds to issues. At a minimum, at least both sides will have a head's up!
Old March 17, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
mlcompound

I got a couple from spoetsmans. Thanks everyone.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
shrewd

Rock on, enjoy the class bud, it should be eye opening
Old March 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Mr_Jumper

If you have the 15rd mags, you have the px4 compact. The 17 and 20 rd mags (17 with extended base plate) will work on the gun. I have the 20rd mag and it sticks out quite a bit, but it works flawlessly.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Gaerek

It's my experiences that mags in those classes are rarely loaded to capacity. Typically, 6-10 rounds, max. This facilitates the need to reload more often. If the class asks for 4 mags, minimum, then I'd do everything I could to get 4 mags. Given today's situation on availability of mags, they might be understanding, and work with you. But you won't know for sure unless you ask.

EDIT: Now I read the rest of the thread and see my post is unneeded.

Have fun at your class, be prepared to learn a bunch.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:13 PM   #16
MarkDozier

Quote:
the more magazines the better
Don't i know it. i went to class with 10 mags and was still ramming rounds into mags all day long.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:21 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Granted that I shoot a 1911, but I always take at least double the magazines suggested for the course. I also take a spare gun. Some gun schools like Thunder Ranch strongly recommend a spare gun and I have seen guns break in several classes.

I have never had too many magazines for a class.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:35 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

BerettaUSA.com, Shotgun News, GunsAmerica.com....

I purchased 02 spare 17rd Beretta factory magazines from a Dallas TX based outfit in 2009 for my PX4 9x19mm. They were $25.00 each.
Beretta charged $35-45.00.
Check the Shotgun News ads, the main Beretta website; www.berettausa.com www.jgsales.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com .
Factory new PX4 17rd magazines may be rare or cost a lot of $$$ due to the gun blitz 2013 but you may find a deal.

CF
Old March 23, 2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Brit

Seems like you are good to go.

Take an easy loader (save your thumb) most classes seem to have open holster rules, see if you can do some concealed drills.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:22 AM   #20
mlcompound

Update. Class was AWESOME!!! I cant believe how much I learned. I am now in dire need of primers for the practice I will be doing. I will be recruiting more friends and fellow gun enthusiasts to do more training. This is a must for anyone who ever pulls a trigger of a firearm. I see some competitive shooting in my future.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Buzzcook

Cool beans buddy.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #22
bikerbill

so did you wind up needing all the mags they specified for one part of the training? I've taken four or five training classes in which either three or four mags were specified, but no part of the course required that I use all four without a period for reloading ... also, in every one of those classes a few people came with revolvers ... never used all the ammo they ask you to bring, either, and I never felt I hadn't gotten enough shooting in ...
Old May 9, 2013, 05:14 PM   #23
mlcompound

I could have gone without the mags and didn't use all the ammo. Although, I am glad I had both.