The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Mac Sidewinder

Equipment List Recommendations

I have been wanting to get into reloading for a couple of years now and finally decided to take the plunge. My son and I mostly shoot 9mm and 38/357, so this is what I will be reloading. Right now I would say that we shoot together a couple hundred 9mm and a hundred or so 38 rounds per month.

The following list is what I currently am planning on buying soon. I would appreciate any advice/comments from anyone who has used any of this equipment, and any suggestions for substitutions of equipment you feel is sub-par (needs to be in the same price ballpark of what is being replaced).

* Lee Classic 4 hole turret press Kit (which includes): $215
Turret press with auto index
Pro auto disk powder measure
Auto disk powder measure riser
Large and small safety prime system
Safety powder scale
Case Conditioning Kit (Including: Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud,
Chamfer Tool, Large and Small Primer Pocket Cleaner, Lee Case
Sizing Lube)
Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised Reloading Manual

* Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger $43
* Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 38/357 Mag $43
* Lee 4 Hole Press Turret x2 $12 ea
* Lee bench plate kit $24
* Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel $18
* Frankford Arsenal Reloading Tray #3 9mm Luger x2 $6 ea
* Frankford Arsenal Reloading Tray #4 38/357 x2 $6 ea
* Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller $12
* RCBS Deluxe Scale Check Weights 510.5 Grains $53
* Lyman Turbo Twin Case Tumbler 110 Volt $71
* Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Walnut Hull 5 lb Jug $16
* Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish 8 oz Liquid $9
* Speer "Reloading Manual #14" $29
* Lyman #49 Reloading Manual - already have

All together a tad over $500. What do you think?

Mac
Old March 2, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
iamdb

I would pass on the lyman until you want to start loading lead cast. The Lyman 49th is worthless for 9mm data. Pretty good for 38 spec and 357 though
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 2, 2012, 11:07 PM   #3
iamdb

nevermind, I see you already have that. You could probably also hold off on the case lube. If you buy 1k once fired brass you could put the tumbler and media off a month or two.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 3, 2012, 08:02 AM   #4
JKP

You won't need to do any case trimming on straight wall pistol brass. I never used mine until I started .223. Case lube isn't needed with carbide sizing dies.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:02 AM   #5
hounddawg

I would drop the tumbler, media and polish off the list and use that 100 for powder, bullets and primers. A old plastic or aluminum bowl, a little bit of dish washing detergent, and a splash of vinegar swirled by hand for 5 minutes in warm tap water was all I did to these.

rinsed them then spread them in the garage on some old news paper to dry for a day. Cleaned them better than tumbling ever did, they are even shiny. It helps if you deprime them using a universal deprimer. That way it will even clean the primer holes and if you don't you need to dry a second time to get the primer holes dry. If in a hurry use a hairdryer or oven set at low temp. I do 500 or 1000 at a time and keep a supply of cleaned and deprimed ones on hand.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:22 AM   #6
CrustyFN

I think the Lee classic turret is a great set up. I have been loading on mine for six years now.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Scimmia

The kit should come with one turret, so you don't need to buy two more, just one.

I would think about not going with the kit. The case conditioning portion won't do you any good unless you want to load for rifles, the safety scale is known for being a bit hard to use, and I don't find Lee's manual all that useful, especially if you have Lyman's and Speer's. Looking at FS reloading:
Classic Turret: $98
AutoDisk Pro: $34
Safety Prime: $21
AutoDisk Riser: $8
Total is $161, the $54 dollar difference will go a long way toward a decent scale.

You can go with a much smaller check weight set. The sets under $30 are plenty to check the scale within the range of just about any powder charge. If you need exact bullet weights for some reason, you can get the larger one, but you'd probably get more use out of putting that extra $20 toward the previously mentioned scale.

Last edited by Scimmia; March 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8
dickttx

You might check the LCT kit at Wideners. It seems to contain everything you need and really nothing you don't, as the posts above mentioned. Don't know if you can find it on their website or not, but you can call and ask about it.

http://www.wideners.com/
Old March 3, 2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Mac Sidewinder

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will price the components seperately. I just went with the kit because it seemed to have everything that I THOUGHT I would need.

I really want the Lee Classic Turret but I don't necessarily have to stay with any of other listed components.

1. How about some advice on a good scale then that won't break the bank? I have read that the Lee scale (while being pretty accurate) wasn't the easiest thing to setup and use. The only reason I went with the bigger weight check was that I was going to order everything all together and the lower sets were already sold out.

2. Thx Hounddawg - I think I will take your advice and hold off on a tumbler and try to clean my brass by hand. I will only be using brass that either my son or I have shot. Do you have a favorite universal deprimer that you use?

Looks like its time to go back searching on the net for some good deals.

Mac
Old March 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
dickttx

I use the Dillon balance beam scale. It is economical and works very well. I also have a RCBS 510 and an RCBS 1010. I like the simplicity of the Dillon.
All may not agree with me but I only use my scale to check what my powder measure drops. I know that the Lee disks always drop less than their chart. If my scale confirms this I take it as fact. When I start loading I weigh the first few charges and about every twentieth after. If they weigh what they did last time I do not need further confirmation.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:35 PM   #11
markr

Titan Reloading has everything you seek and gets everything directly from LEE because they are in the same town, and seems to have a slight edge on prices. Check it out. For example the pro auto disk is $27 instead of $34. I just ordered from there everything to get going with a Classic Turret except the scale, case prep, and safety prime because I don't nneed those items. FYI, the pro auto disk is a back order item, even directly from Lee. Also, in my opinion, the case prep tools work, but are a good way to get carpel tunnel if used as is.

Washed up 11B1P