The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 22, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
darksidearmorer

front sight re alingment on a 7mm mauser

I have a 1916 spanish mauser in 7x57mm, my front sight is currently rotated to 11 oclock rather than sittin at 12 where its supposed to be. I understand that i have to heat the sight to get the solder to run out, punch out the crosspin and then the whole assembly should rotate to square up. has any one on this forum ever actually done this and if so do you have any suggestions to tips to help the process? if the sight was solderd in place that means i have to resolder it right, how do i do that? also the rifle is still wearing a factory rear ladder sight. im swaping this out with a peep from brownells to make the sights easier to use. the sight is adjustable for windage and elevation do you think that this would correct the POA-POI issue ?
thanks
Old February 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am a bit concerned that the barrel might not be properly torqued up and that the leaning front sight is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

But if everyting else is OK, yes, heating the barrel enough to melt the solder should work OK; I suggest you use heat stop paste (Brownell's) to preserve the bluing and also put some in the bore to keep it from being affected by the heat.

Jim
Old February 26, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
darksidearmorer

the barrel is on tight im not sure what the tourqe spec on a mauser is, but the barrel is not moving the rifle is a parts gun i picked up at a gun show everything is properly alinged except for the front sight. do you know of any place i can order a tech manual for a mauser from? and have you ever re attached a solderd on sight ? am i basicly welding the sight on just with solder rather than using a welder and rod? thanks for the reply, i just dont want to take the sight off untill i know how to reattach it. this is supposed to be a restoration not a sporter build.

i also just realized that the stock is cracked under the action does any one know where i can track down a military replacement stock or how to go about repairing this one ive heard that the crack can be glued using wood glue and then clamped until the gule sets, is this a good idea? has any user had good results with this?

Last edited by darksidearmorer; February 26, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Scorch

The front sight is not soldered on, it is pinned on.

Repairing the crack under the action is easily done with bedding compound/epoxy. First, coat the action, magazine box, and action screws with paste wax. Next, clean the wood you are going to epoxy with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. If the crack runs lengthwise, cut a groove across the crack, insert a cut off screw in the groove to give the area some strength. Open the crack up, work the bedding compound in, reassemble the rifle, tighten the screws. After the epoxy has cured, take it apart, clean up any excess,
Old February 26, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5
darksidearmorer

ok im going to post some pics i think i know the pin your talking about, which bedding compound would you recomend? brownells acra glass?
thanks for the help.

Last edited by darksidearmorer; February 26, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Scorch

I use West Systems Marine Epoxy (same as AcraGlas), but for a beginner I would recommend AgraGlas Gel.