The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: What % of gun sales are private?
0% to 10% 28 36.84%
10% to 25% 25 32.89%
26% to 50% 14 18.42%
51% to 75% 6 7.89%
76% to 100% 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12, 2013, 07:30 AM   #26
spacecoast

With 52 votes (thanks everyone) we're holding steady at a 23.7% weighted average.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:58 AM   #27
mrbatchelor

I own four non-black powder guns, and all four were purchased through an FFL with a warranty attached to them.

I have owned two in the past that were private sales, but I do not have them now. Traded away for stereo and boating "stuff" over the years.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:36 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

The firearms I currently own come in at more than 60% private-party acquisitions. However... All but one of those private-party sales were from known-legal sources; coming into possession of a known-legal person. So, it doesn't really change anything from a 'questionable transaction' standpoint.

If I were to take into account the firearms I've sold, or traded, to FFLs or private parties, it may change a bit. But, I don't feel like hurting my brain, by trying to figure all of that out.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:43 AM   #29
Ghost1958

A lot of that has to do with what state you live in. Here most go from person to person private transaction and its perfectly legal. I guess someplace of course the gun had to be bought new but Lord only knows how long ago or where. So I would have to say based on a lot of states being the same as Ky in that no FFL or background check is required for a private sale its higher than 40 percent.

That wouldnt be counting gang bangers etc that get their guns under the radar regardless.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:07 AM   #30
tulsamal

Quote:
I've not done a FFL transfer in 20 years, and in my circle of shooters I can't really think of anyone who does not try to buy used (meaning privately) long before dealing with a FFL.
Count me in as one of the people who was astonished by the 40% number being thrown around. I buy several guns every year. Year to year, probably around 4 per year. And I almost never buy them any other way than a transfer to my local FFL. I don't look in the newspaper for guns. Or any other local media. I buy my guns on gunbroker or from the Classified sections of the Ruger and S&W forums. All those get sent to my transfer FFL. (Or I buy C&R guns that ship straight to me.)

Every now and then... some gun friend offers me one of their guns for a good price and I buy it. One happened this year actually. But that can't account for more than 1 in 10 of my guns. So put me in the less than 10% category.

Gregg
Old January 14, 2013, 04:45 PM   #31
spacecoast

After 63 votes, the weighted average is staying very consistent at 24%, and this among a crowd we would I think all agree is more comfortable with private sales than Average Joe.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:19 PM   #32
Crankylove

I am in the 26-50%.

I have had two come to me as gifts, have given two as gifts, and have purchased 6 from family members. I have only sold two guns in my life to non-family members, one to a dealer, and one private party to a known ccw holder.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:23 PM   #33
DFrame

This is just a BOGUS stat thats being thrown around as a propaganda campaign to try and demonise gun shows The anti-gun crowd wants to make ALL private gun sales illegal. They want to force people to go through an FFL for EVERY gun transaction to they can get a permanent record of it.
It's the same old BS as the "gunshow loophole".
There is NO such thing. There are private sales that the liberals can't regulate or control and it drives them crazy.