The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
ebueker

Saskatchewan Deer Hunt

Going to Saskatchewan this fall. My buddy tells me you have to wear white, red, yellow, or orange, no camo. Does anyone know where to buy white two piece coverups? I have plenty of insulated camo and don't want to spend alot on orange insulated coveralls. I really don't want to buy coveralls and would prefer a two piece to wear over my insulated camo coveralls.

Thanks for any info.
Old April 7, 2007, 01:59 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I'm no expert, but I should think that yellow, red, or orange a better choice than white, since to a whitetail, the color white means "warning/run/not good"; hence their flagging of their white tails when alarmed. Maybe buy a white one and die it orange or red? Then again, if it's snowy, the white will actually be camo for you. Sorry, dunno where to buy, but you're probably on the right track looking at outfitters who sell to northern hunters, who want the white as snow-camo. Good luck; they grow them big up there I hear.

Here's a start for ya - some orange & yellow ones there:

http://www.aramark-uniform.com/pfx2/...html#insulated
Old April 7, 2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Desertfox

They make cheap white 1 piece coveralls for the workplace. Disposable yet pretty tough. Oil and water proof and you can buy a pack of 4 for about $12.95.

That is the way I would go. Get all the warmth and comfort from my camo gear and just throw the XX Large 1 piece over the top.

I assume in Saskatchewan you will be hunting in a blind so, camo is not necessary.

Check the paint store or equipment rental places.

They wear these suits in many industrial settings.

Good luck and by all means, take pictures. Let us know about the regulations and what you ultimately use.
Old April 7, 2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Tyveks

You can pick up a Tyvek coverall or two piece suit at most home improvement places and if you wash it in warm water and tumble dry it with no heat, it gets soft and silent. Even has a nice hood on the jacket most times.
Old April 11, 2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Jseime

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I should think that yellow, red, or orange a better choice than white, since to a whitetail, the color white means "warning/run/not good"; hence their flagging of their white tails when alarmed.
Most of the time when white tail season rolls around there is snow on the ground and it helps you blend in better.

Quote:
I assume in Saskatchewan you will be hunting in a blind so, camo is not necessary.
Not necessarily depending on the area. Where I hunt we do a lot of driving and then bush pushing.

Whereabouts in Saskatchewan will you be hunting that will make a big difference as to what type of hunting you do.
Old April 13, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6
ebueker

We will be hunting near Tisdale, closer to Porcupine. We will hunt from elevated stands. The white or colored clothing is for getting to and from the blind.
Old April 13, 2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Jseime

If its only to get to a blind I wouldnt particularly worry about it. We dont shoot other hunters...often haha just jokes. I'm a big fan of white just keep in mind that your not allowed to wear a white hat so youll have to buy and orange or red one.
Old April 13, 2007, 01:09 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Start here. http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/hun...ng%20Guide.pdf
It does indeed say that you must wear a complete suit of scarlet, bright yellow, blaze orange or white. No white hats though. This applies to hunting with a rifle only.
Cabelas has a white nylon rain suit on sale for $14.95.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...739&hasJS=true