The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
bowhuntinb

Faulty Stoeger Model 2000?

I have a stoeger model 2000 semiauto 12 ga shotgun that has been acting up on me. Sometimes, I'll go shoot a couple boxes of shells and it will work fine. Other times, like my last duck hunt, only half the shells will fire. They are store-bought loads, and the gun is assembled correctly. Other sites have said to check the barrel mating to the stock, but it looks good.

First, I called and they had me replace the firing pin and spring. After that didn't work, I had to send it in. Now I've sent it back to the factory twice . The first time they said I had a defective barrel. The second time they said they remachined some parts and replaced others, but when I called, they couldn't tell me what parts were replaced.

Has anyone else had problems with these guns? I understand its no high end shotgun, but I really feel like it should shoot a little more reliably than it does.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2
zippy13

You are not alone. Check out the thread Stoeger M2000 question - not cycling
Old February 1, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3
bowhuntinb

Fortunately for me, my M2000 cycles without a problem. My issue is that the firing pin isnt striking the primer consistently. Sometimes the primer will have a nice mark, then other times it will have a very small dent and the round will not fire. It seems to vary between shots too. Sometimes the first round will be fine and the second shell will misfire, but other times it is the first round.

My dad has the exact same gun, just 1 year older. His works fine, of course.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4
zippy13

Your problem may be different, but your success (or lack thereof) with factory service is the same.

Something you didn't mention, has anything been done with the trigger group? It sounds like the factory addressed firing pin drag and improper lock-up problems; but, you don't know if they did anything about the hammer fall. Perhaps if you temporarily borrow the trigger group from your dad's gun, you may learn something.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Saltydog235

But but but but its a Benelli (said tongue in cheek with ultimate sarcasm) I've heard enough Stoeger horror stories to know they are a wast of money. We had on guy in a blind that had a duck hunt ruined by one of those things. He still had to pay for it but shot one time and that was it. The cost of the guide on that particular one was more than the gun cost. Another aquiantance had a similar thing happen with his on a red hot teal shoot, though he got his limit by borrowing a gun after our limits were met.

I'd sell the thing for what I could get and find something like a used 1187 or X2 that's reasonably priced and go from there. For me, my time is valuable with family, work, church, house and other obligations so when I take to the woods or range, I want something that I have confidence in working every time. My waterfowl gun is a SBE and has never once misfired or misfed, same goes for my old humpbacks and every stack barrel I own.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
bowhuntinb

I just got the gun back from repair for the second time, so I'll have to do some shooting to test it out. I will say that they haven't given me any problems about repairing it...if that's what you want to call it. Every time I call to send it back, they tell me it will be covered. When they told me they had to replace/machine some parts on this last round, they couldn't tell me what parts were worked on when I asked.

This gun is far from a Benelli. Just because Ford makes Fiestas doesn't mean they will put the 5.0L in them like the Mustang. I'll have to see what happened to dad's gun. I actually think he gave it to a friend to try out, because he upgraded to a Benelli. Unfortunately for me, he is a lefty, so now he's buying nice guns for left handed shooters. I guess if I want to shoot them, I'll just have to deal with it being backwards like he has all these years.

I'll let you know what I find after I put some rounds through it. Its hard to say though. Last time, I did the same thing, but it wasn't until I was out duck hunting that it started to act up. It was about 1 misfire away from finding itself at the bottom of the swamp...
Old February 1, 2011, 07:26 PM   #7
zippy13

If I understand you, your M2000 unfired since being factory serviced. Perhaps this is a good time to trade it in on something else. You can say, with a clear conscious, that it's fresh from factory servicing and hasn't been shot since.