The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1
dzavoina

Camera Pic from Nueces County, TX

Question, would you let the hog finish before you popped a cap on him?

Old June 7, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Irish80prf

Nope I have no love for coons but I can guarantee I would wax that hog before he got a chance to finish off the coon. That's a nice picture.
Old June 7, 2010, 06:25 PM   #3
crghss

I'd save the coon....
Old June 7, 2010, 08:09 PM   #4
trooper3385

I'd pop the coon and let the hog live for now. Hopefully he would take out a few more coons before I get another crack at the hog.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
bswiv

Here at the house we are into our third decade of battle with the coons. Can't keep count of the animals they've gotten over the years. Louann has caught 7 in the last 2 months.

Forget shooting the hog. Catch him and ship him to us.... we can use the help!!
Old June 7, 2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I'd pop the coon and let the hog live for now. Hopefully he would take out a few more coons before I get another crack at the hog.
People say strange things. I don't recall the coon problem being substantial. That hog can do some substantial damage and undoubtedly has done so.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7
trooper3385

I've spent quite a bit more time and money repairing feeders from the damage coons have caused. I'm not talking about cheap homemade feeders. All of mine are either Texas Trophy or All Season feeders. Then you have to build cages around your timers to keep the coons out and it's a pain in the rear to get to your timer because of the cage you had to build around it to keep them out. Everytime you drive by a feeder at night, there's 6 to 8 coons underneather the feeder and 2 hanging from from it. Atleast the hogs will eat the corn on the ground and leave when it's gone. The coons stay there all night and keep spinning more corn out on the ground when the finish eating what's on the ground. I'm convinced that in the long run, I spend more money on corn that the coons eat than the hogs do. Don't get me wrong, the hogs can be destructive and I'll shoot one in a heartbeat, but the coons just get plain annoying.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:03 PM   #8
shortwave

Since there's few hogs in this area the coons are a much bigger problem. Grain silo's, garden's, as well as crop fields , fruit tree's etc. get raided by coon's. When the bottom fell out of coon pelts, nobody traps for them anymore. I dispose of many each year.

Great picture, thanks for sharing.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
James R. Burke

I dont care much for coons but I would blow that hogs head right off it's body. Nice picture!
Old June 11, 2010, 12:35 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Kill the hog.

If the coon lives, so be it.
Old June 11, 2010, 10:09 AM   #11
briandg

I'm sure that was taken with a game cam. But, If I had been there, I'd have exercised my authority as being the A - #1 Alpha predator on the planet. I'd have killed that hog. Then, If I felt like it, I'd have killed the raccoon.

Raccoons aren't vermin, Hogs are.
Old June 11, 2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Since there's few hogs in this area the coons are a much bigger problem. Grain silo's, garden's, as well as crop fields , fruit tree's etc. get raided by coon's. When the bottom fell out of coon pelts, nobody traps for them anymore. I dispose of many each year.
And that makes contextual sense. In Nueces County, Texas, programs are underway for helo hog hunting. I know, some folks don't want to call it "hunting" and whatnot. That is fine. However, the wholesale slaughter attempts from the air simply illustrate how much of a problem that there is.

Check, for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
Old June 14, 2010, 11:34 AM   #13
2rugers

That is a really great pic.

I would trap that hog, breed him to a couple of sows and make a whole army of coon killing hogs.

My problem mirrors Troopers and I must keep a live trap around the deer feeders to keep up with the corn thieving coon population. The problem is coons, like hogs, get smart after seeing a couple of their buddies trapped and avoid them.

I do not have crops in the ground so a few hogs make for a little off season hunting.
The coons are expensive and extremly adept at getting to the feed no matter the obstacle.

Don't even get me started on the squirrels.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Fat White Boy

I'd let the coon finish off the hog, then shoot the coon. Then, I could wear my coonskin cap while I was eating some hog sausage...
Old June 20, 2010, 10:06 AM   #15
TX Hunter

I dont know, but that looks like a good place to Hog Hunt, and Coon Hunt.