The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 1, 2015, 02:04 PM   #26
willr

It is not recommended, but 32 acp will function in the 327 SP101. As mentioned the 32 acp is a semi-rimmed round. I have fired it in mine with no apparent problems.
willr
Old April 1, 2015, 02:46 PM   #27
Sevens

The 4.2" barrel length makes it viable for the Canadian market. It will have an edge ballistically over the 3" barrel, but great testing by the guys at Ballistics by the Inch has shown that the cartridge experiences irrational neutering under 3-inches in barrel length. The snub revolvers from Taurus and Charter don't let the .327 Federal do what it does best, but 3" and above is where it rolls.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html
Old April 1, 2015, 03:06 PM   #28
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Now... if someone would come out with a lever action carbine in this caliber...
Now that's the sort of holy grail, or major market blind spot, of this relatively new caliber. Besides the bad economic timing of its initial release, the .327 was pitched as a self-defense caliber and with a few exceptions, a lot of the early guns had short barrels.

The economic lesson seemed to be that if you are going to successfully introduce a new cartridge, you need to get a lot of people using it. You need (1) a more comprehensive and more aggressive marketing campaign and (2) a wider variety of guns for it introduced simultaneously. A common theme in some reviews or discussions is that the .327 had a lot of untapped potential for hunting, woodland use, kit guns, etc... Here, we were lucky that the small but passionate core of hopeful users, as evidenced in our club thread, helped keep it alive enough for Ruger to see the value in introducing new guns like this one. I remember reading comments like "they are finally finding the niche for this caliber" when they recently released the Single Seven.

So keep the demand fires burning. Buy one of these sweet new 4" SP101s. Buy some factory ammo. Take it to the range and shoot it with friends. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to share that demand with your favorite manufacturer of lever guns by phone or email. The reason we haven't seen this in a lever gun is that no manufacturer has seen justification for the design, time, and tooling expenses.
Old April 1, 2015, 04:54 PM   #29
turkeestalker

Truth be told it is generally not the barrel length that poses the greatest problem when concealing so I'm betting you're right about that Model12Win, but I still love mine as it is.
Old April 1, 2015, 06:45 PM   #30
smee78

If I had not just bought an SP101 in 32H&R I would consider it but I will just stick with my SP and Single Six in 32 H&R for now. Now if someone wants to make a nice lever like the Marlin in 327 I might be in for one.
Old April 1, 2015, 07:08 PM   #31
RodTheWrench

Quote:
Now if someone wants to make a nice lever like the Marlin in 327 I might be in for one.
You said Marlin, lever and nice in the same sentence.

I would absolutely plunk down on a lever gun chambered in 327! But please, oh please make mine a model 94 Trapper!

Oh, and I'll probably have to get one of the new 4" SP101s, my 3" is absofreakinglutely amazing with Wolff Springs, trigger job and sweet wood grips.

And yes, firing 32ACP is just fine in these.
Old April 1, 2015, 11:48 PM   #32
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Oh, and I'll probably have to get one of the new 4" SP101s, my 3" is absofreakinglutely amazing with Wolff Springs, trigger job and sweet wood grips.
What kind of grips did you get?
Old April 3, 2015, 06:33 PM   #33
tallball

I bought one of the new 4" 327 from Gunbroker today. I will send pics and range report when I get my paws on it. I paid $569.
Old April 3, 2015, 07:50 PM   #34
ThundarStick

I've got one on reserve as of last week! You could call me a fan boy, I have a snubby Taurus, a S&W 632, Rugers black hawk 8, single seven in 7 1\2 and 5 1\2, GP 100, SP 101 3 inch and love them all!
Old April 4, 2015, 07:47 AM   #35
A pause for the COZ

Yes they are available on GB right now. I have a bid in on one now.
I am not going to be just jumping at them though.
I dont plan on over paying like I did for my Single 7.
Mid $500's is ok. But not going to pay $600 plus for one.

Nice though that I will be able to get one fast compared for the long drawn out ordeal the Single 7 was.
Old April 4, 2015, 09:56 AM   #36
psyfly

Well, the new Ruger has me wound up a bit. I missed the 3" models when they were more available and I still want one.

If anyone has a 3" SP101 in .327, I have a list of firearms I'd trade for it. I have a new Single Seven that I've not even taken out of the box. It goes on the list, as well.

Later today, after I edit the list, I'm planning to post down on the sale/trade threads.

Will
Old April 4, 2015, 02:48 PM   #37
Model12Win

Can't wait to see some range reviews on the new SP.

I'm holding off for a while because I'm going to be buying a defense shotgun soon so my funds will be going to that, but this bogie is definitely on my radar.
Old April 9, 2015, 12:39 PM   #38
tallball

Here is mine. I just picked it up a couple of hours ago. The range report will come in on Sunday. It feels good even in my large hands. So far the trigger is okay but not great. The fit and finish is good but not great. I like the sights and balance.

Old April 9, 2015, 06:59 PM   #39
Slimjim9

Nice. So they're not just vaporware! you know the best looking thing about this gun? NOTHING on the barrel!
Old April 9, 2015, 10:35 PM   #40
tallball

Sorry SlimJim.

I just showed the side where the picture came out better.

Old April 9, 2015, 11:02 PM   #41
Slimjim9

I don't mind that. I just hate the "please read instruction manual" billboard. I think I hate it worse than the S&W lock hole.
Old April 10, 2015, 10:41 AM   #42
Real Gun

The Ruger forum is all over that. My gun is due to arrive at my FFL holder momentarily. I can't get any work done for lack of concentration. Got it from among several listed on Gunbroker at appealing prices.
Old April 10, 2015, 12:53 PM   #43
Model12Win

Awesome Real Gun!!

Tell us how you like it.

Does anyone know if the trigger on this is better than on the .22 LR SP101?
Old April 10, 2015, 05:51 PM   #44
Real Gun

The finish is pretty rough, and I will return it to be repolished, but I plan to shoot it tomorrow. Also the barrel may have to come off to remove the hazardous burr around the breech. I also want the flutes polished to some reasonable standard. I have two other SP101s and three GP100s, so I know what expectation is reasonable with these stainless, brushed finish guns.

addendum: I took care of all these complaints myself except for the deepest scratches behind the cylinder release. Now the gun has a very nice 240 grit patina with the grain running in line with the barrel, something you almost have to do by hand, better than new. I was able to remove the barrel burr with a rifling file, also removing the knife edges from many other cuts and corners on the gun. That element of crudeness is one thing I don't prefer about Rugers, but I do favor the prices.

Last edited by Real Gun; April 12, 2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old April 11, 2015, 02:02 PM   #45
Cheapshooter

Just wish I could warm up to the SP101, but I don't like the feel at all. Which is quite unusual for me. I manage to adapt quite easily to various handguns, but not the SP. I shot a friend's 357 and did not like it at all. Not a recoil thing, that didn't bother me. It just didn't feel good when I first held it. Grips, maybe, Does Pachmayr make something like the Diamond Pro for a Ruger SP101?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 12, 2015, 12:10 AM   #46
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Grips, maybe, Does Pachmayr make something like the Diamond Pro for a Ruger SP101?
Yes, they do [will?].

New product for 2015. Diamond Pro Revolver Grips - Ruger SP101.
Old April 12, 2015, 12:23 AM   #47
Cheapshooter

Saw that shortly after I posted. That might be a game changer. Just when I whittled my short list down to two, or three!
I saw they also are introducing them for the LCR. Because of being used for CCW my 38 LCR will continue to wear the Hogue Boot Grips, or nothing bigger than the original grips. But if Ruger comes up with one I am waiting for to check off a space on the short list, an LCR 3" 22 rimfire, I'm sure the Diamond Pro grips will go on it.
Now, what place in the top five short list should I put the SP101 327 on?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 12, 2015, 10:48 AM   #48
BOBA FETT

i saw one at a gun show yesterday..it was going for six hundred bucks..
Old April 12, 2015, 02:23 PM   #49
Real Gun

Quote:
Just wish I could warm up to the SP101, but I don't like the feel at all. Which is quite unusual for me. I manage to adapt quite easily to various handguns, but not the SP. I shot a friend's 357 and did not like it at all. Not a recoil thing, that didn't bother me. It just didn't feel good when I first held it. Grips, maybe, Does Pachmayr make something like the Diamond Pro for a Ruger SP101?
I think the SP101's "feel" issue is the long trigger reach and little support for the middle finger, issues with the Redhawk also. I like the feel much better with Hogue combats.

I must say though that my first outing with the new 4" 327, using the stock grips, didn't beat me up like my 357 would. That may be part barrel length 3" vs 4", but the 327 round is just so much better suited to the SP101 platform.
Old April 13, 2015, 12:15 AM   #50
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I think the SP101's "feel" issue is the long trigger reach and little support for the middle finger, issues with the Redhawk also. I like the feel much better with Hogue combats.

I must say though that my first outing with the new 4" 327, using the stock grips, didn't beat me up like my 357 would. That may be part barrel length 3" vs 4", but the 327 round is just so much better suited to the SP101 platform.
I have to agree about the grips. I don't hate the stock grips but I vastly prefer shooting with the Hogues. Despite my recent frustration with their bad customer service while looking at hardwood options for this gun, my experience with their Rubber Monogrips on other SP101s has been positive. You can usually find them a few bucks cheaper around the web and they are worth every penny.

I'm not familiar with them but I just read that Pachmayr will be releasing Diamond Pro Series Grips for the SP101 sometime this year.

As per the SP101 being suited to this caliber, I have to agree. Not only does it make it into a sturdy but slender six-shooter, I feel like it hits a sweet spot between power, size, and weight.