The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 11, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
duelist1954

An explanation about my video posting decision

First of all, I'm really surprised about all the people who posted asking me to continue posting video links. I wasn't expecting that...but it's nice to know so many of you like the videos.

I'm reconsidering my decision not to post. Maybe my assessment was just plain wrong. But I'd like to explain what lead to that decision.

It started on Reddit.

If you don't know Reddit, it is social media site where people post links and comment on them. And people vote up or down on the link. The more up-votes, the higher in the sight the link shows up, so more people see it.

Reddit is huge, and there are a lot of sub-reddits (as they are called), one is on guns. I have posted a lot of gun pictures there, which usually get a lot of up-votes. And I post video links, which very often get a hand full of down votes as soon as I post them. That sinks them immediately, so very few people get a chance to see them.

A couple of weeks ago that happened...six down votes right off the bat, and no comments. So I posted a comment saying, "I'll take the down votes, but I'd appreciate feedback on what is wrong with the video, so I can improve in the future."

One guy wrote me back and said the down votes had nothing to do with the video. In fact, he thought it was a very good video. He basically said I was down voted for being a poor citizen of Reddit and engaging in self-promotion.

He pointed out that Hickok45 videos are very popular on Reddit, but they aren't posted there by Hickok45 himself, rather, members of Reddit post the links for the benefit of their fellow Reddit members. But, he, and the other top users of Reddit will continue to vote me out of visibility, because they felt I was just whoring my videos on the site.

OK...that seemed a little like the school yard at junior high to me. But I decided to stop posting on Reddit.

But as I got to thinking about it, I understood how people could be annoyed by someone promoting their own stuff all the time.

I didn't mind pulling out of Rediit completely. The folks there, for the most part are pretty immature, and they resort to profanity way too much. So good riddance.

But, I didn't like the idea that people on this site might feel the same way about my posts. I like this site. I like the people here, and I don't want to be perceived as using you all. I'd rather just stop posting the videos.

So that's the back ground. As I said, I was surprised by the response to my post. So I'm re-thinking that decision now.

Thanks a lot for being an understanding bunch of folks.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Mike

I for one am happy that you are reconsidering. I don't comment very often on your work but that is no indication that I don't appreciate it.

I don't see it as self promotion and I guess I would challenge the tenets of Reddit if they discourage decent and informative videos but permit profanity.

Hope you decide to continue.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
David13

I never heard of reddit but that makes no sense if that is what they think over there.
I can't see why it makes any difference who puts the video up. We all have the choice to watch or not as we see fit, and based on the topic, and all.
dc
Old December 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
bn12gg

Duelist-- I really enjoy your videos. They are very well done, both the narratives and visuals. Keep up the good work.

David
Old December 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
farmerted

Keep Posting Vids

I, for one, have enjoyed the videos a lot. I'd never heard of Reddit, but it sounds like a population of mouth breathers has taken it over anyway. Their loss. Also I enjoy Evil Roy's cameos downrange, for what it's worth.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Mike - I think the posts above mine sum it up pretty well and like Doc, I don't post a comment very often but I do enjoy watching them.

In regards to the other site - as I read your post, I anticipated that the down votes were probably posted by "antis" as soon as a gun posting came up.

I performed living history storytelling programs for 30 + years. Regardless of what a person does, in order to get information you have to do a little self promotion. I don't view the videos that you post on here as that. You are putting out information to the members of this board - the majority I would assume who really appreciate your videos and look forward to seeing what you are up to next.

Look at it this way . . . on this board in particular . . . threads are posted on a wide range of topics. Each of us who respond have our personal opinions and experiences. We don't always agree with each other . . . but that is every person's right. In the end though, we all learn new things whether it's an old fart like me or somebody that is just starting out - which at one point, we were all doing. It seems like the way the world is today, there is far too much criticism, fault finding as well as folks being overly sensitive. Personally, I'm glad I'm on the downhill side rather than starting to climb the hill of life. What's happening in this country and to this country is shameful but that's another debate.

As an example - I love Doc's posts. Not only is he thought provoking but he shares some pretty neat stuff (even if he doesn't use holsters ;-) ). I learn something new everytime I get on here regardless of if I post a reply or not.

I really enjoy your videos - they are well done and informative. I've looked at some gun related stuff on youtube that makes me shudder - not only poorly done but unsafe practices and even though I'm no prude and can swear like a longshoreman, the cursing in some of them is a complete turn off for me.

Personally, I hope you'll continue to post your videos as well as your contributions to the discussions on here. What it boils down to is this . . . if someone has a problem, they don't have to click on the thread nor watch the video. I would like to think that we are all "big kids" and as such, can make up our minds as to what we want to watch and what we don't want to watch. If a person doesn't like it - that's his prerogative. But, to "supplant a laudable undertaking", to me, is just a reflection of them - not you or your videos.

I hope you will reconsider - you are a valuable contributing member and appreciated!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 11, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Beagle333

Never heard of Reddit.... but I do watch and enjoy your videos. . . every one!
And I don't comment on every one, but I haven't seen one that would have drawn anything negative from me. I like em! Post away!

(I don't read every thread posted on here... likewise, if your videos don't interest some folks, they can just pass it over with the ol' clicker button )
Old December 11, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Hellgate

Never heard of Reddit either. What self promotion? All I've ever heard is you are BP editor of Guns of the Old West. That's it. Period. Man, talk about soft sell. Sounds like Reddit has a bunch of blowhards or political types. Your video work is straight forward and informational without hype.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 11, 2012, 07:38 PM   #9
OEF-Vet

The only thing you have promoted is you're passion and I for one thank you for that.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old December 11, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Hawg

Man, don't let that crap stop you. Keep on keepin on bro.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Pahoo

Don't hang it up !!!

HEY,
I don't mind you tooting your own horn. After all, you do have something to say and you have a very positive way of doing so. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 11, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:53 PM   #12
freedom475

Thank you for posting the video links Mike!!!!

I sure enjoy them...I am glad you post them.

It is sad, but I suppose we'll always have rude people among us. You do a GREAT job with your vids and I am amazed at the way you can flow with your narrations in front of the camera. You make it fun!

I have never posted a comment to you videos, but I have read a few and some of those juvenile comments sure aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old December 11, 2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got nothing to say Mike. What I thought. Has already been said by so many others here.

S/S
Old December 11, 2012, 08:23 PM   #14
shortwave

See what happens when you spoil a bunch of gun enthusiasts??

It's unanimous, you gotta keep on making em.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:29 PM   #15
red96ta

Duelist...I've loved your videos and it's what got me back into the sport after putting it on the back burner for many years. Even now, when I'm contemplating a new black powder revolver, it's your videos that I refer back to in making my decision.

Now, for the technical part of the equation...I'm not sure what you mean by 'technical' part. I'm feeling that you're either talking about the information relayed to the viewer or the technical editing of the videos. I've worked as a video editor both as a self-employed individual as well as for a small local television station for a few years and I've got to say that considering your budget for making the videos, you're spot-on. Sure, you could get the $25k cameras and all that fancy stuff, but why? The cameras are clear and on a tripod...those two things eclipse the fancy effects and all the other trash some video guys use to make their videos look 'high end'. Heck, you're ahead of many television shows like 'the office' that uses that shaky camera look as an effect, I can't even watch that show anymore because of that. I either have used, or currently use the editing software you're using so if you have technical questions, just drop me a PM.

Keep the videos, post the videos, promote the videos....
Old December 11, 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
deerslayer303

I have been away for awhile, but I happen to enjoy your videos. They are well made and pretty informative, so dont sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things . And keep those vids coming!!!!
Old December 11, 2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Captainkirk

Mike; I love all your videos and have posted up a large number of them on the 1858 Remington forum, as you probably know.
I also subscribe to your You Tube channel and watch each vid as soon as you post it (well, all the BP ones anyway!) I never post up any comments on You Tube because there are so many liberal retards already showing their ignorance and immaturity, that it makes me angry to read the comments. So I don't.
I have sent links to many, many friends and acquaintances after watching them as well.
Don't know about reddit; if what you are saying is true, then who needs 'em?
Here's the unvarnished truth-you do us all a great service in posting your vids. You allow myself and the rest of us to live vicariously through your videos. I know I may never own a LeMat or a Winchester '66, but by golly, I know how they work, function, and look because I've watched you do it!
Thank you for your great work, and please continue!
Old December 11, 2012, 11:11 PM   #18
arcticap

Mike, your videos promote the shooting sports which in turn promote the 2nd Amendment. That's considered to be a sacred mission to us folks on TFL and THR too. And just because you're an editor doesn't change the basic purpose concerning the promotion of guns and gun rights as far as anyone here is concerned.
We recognize that and just because some others in cyber space don't agree shouldn't affect the common goal of promoting your shooting videos.
You deserve a service award and not a guilt trip because of some narrow minded folks on another forum. Please keep up the great 2A promotional work and thanks for reconsidering the hasty decision.

Last edited by arcticap; December 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:37 AM   #19
OutlawJoseyWales

Mike, love the vids. But the "world of computering" is fairly dominated by, well, the kind of people that don't go outside much-much less, ever shot a gun in their lives. It's pretty much the same for me with the Yahoo News clan with my emails, and what passes for "news" there, BECAUSE they are playing to their audience. An audience made up of the kind of people who would rather ban guns then fire them. It's just who they are.

First, I've been around TV production for a long time, ran a TV show years ago. So, I know a few things but as I told you before, your videos stand out for a number of reason.

First the "lack of creep" factor. Most vids that I see on Youtube where someone is shooting a gun, the dude is MOST of the time, just creepy looking guy doing things with guns that they should NOT be allowed to do.

NOT EVERYBODY IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON FILM. I found this out about myself. The camara either loves you or it hates you.

Secondly, your camaras produce a very nice clean production that most "gun vids" camaras simply lack. Most folks are shooting with a cam they picked up at Wally World on clearance, it just CAN'T create good looking product. Whatever you shooting with give a good looking shot.

Third, and this might be along with "lack of ceepy" is the clean lines and lack of clutter that your vids show. While most guys wouldn't think of this as an answer to it, they watch the vids and "don't see" what they don't realize they are missing. And that is clutter. It's what seperates the pros from the wanna' be's. Although I love Hickok45 putting guns on film and he is a great shootist, his vids are not visually pleasing, often shooting in what looks like a pig pen. Things are not tidy and don't make a clean looking view. No offense to him meant, it's just how it is.

Although we are a small family here, I hope you will continue to create these fun vids. I don't understand silly people and reddit if FULL of them. Just goes with the territory I guess. Thanks, I've enjoyed your vids.
OJW
Old December 12, 2012, 01:48 AM   #20
youngunz4life

I'll check it out.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #21
steinauge

I too thoroughly enjoy your videos and would hate to see you stop posting them.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:24 AM   #22
noelf2

Yeah I know about reddit, and for the most part they are not a mature bunch. All trying to be clever, and the sad part is that they get heart broken when they get a downvote. Upvotes are the only thing some of those reddit losers have to look forward to in life. I don't reddit, I make smoke. I like forums with mature people like this one. So, this is the only place I'd be able to see that you have a new video (not a big utoober either). I also like the fact that I can question you about something and learn about it, here.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Rigmarol

Keep up the good work, I'm glad you are reconsidering your first choice.
I wise man knows when he's wrong and changes.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #24
brazosdave

Never heard of Reddit. Let me just say I enjoy your videos immensely, and maybe we have a different audience here than perhaps Reddit does. I do hope you continue to post them, they are fun and informative, as I find the articles in your magazine to be. Keep up the good work!
Old December 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #25
North East Redneck

Don't know redditt and don't want to. Your vids are well done. Very informative. Keep on posting them. Seems that the people on TFL are real. I personally take no offense to a person posting their own videos. I'm here to learn and discuss gun related topics. Maybe offer advice here and there. Certainly not here to bash someone who shares their knowledge and shooting experiences.