The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 13, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Howard31

Sticky cookies

Been busy making grease cookies. Used 50% beeswax , 25% Pure Lanolin.and 25% Crisco. My problem is that the cookies are very sticky not slick like my Ox-yoke wonder seals .I got the feeling that my ratio of lanolin is too high.
Am I going to correct the problem adding more Beeswax and Crisco in equal amounts ?

"I said I never had use for one, I never said I didn't know how to use one '.Mathew Quigly
Old December 13, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2
zippy13

Is your lube solid, a gel or liquid at room temperature?
I'm happy with the traditional: 40% paraffin, 40% lamb tallow and 20% beeswax.

What is the source of your lanolin? When I was gathering my components (actually I already had plenty of paraffin and beeswax) the only "pure" lanolin I found locally was at the pharmacy. It was a product for nursing mothers and was expensive. I tried some lanolin based hair treatment; but, like yours, it was sticky at room temp. My eventual solution was to render my own tallow from lamb suet.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Howard31

Sticky cookies

Zippy the lube is solid at room temp.I got the lanolin on ebay,supposedly 100% pure lanolin .It is solid like butter in the fridge or room temp Crisco.The lanolin is what is sticky.
I am thinking that if I increase the wax and crisco I should be OK. I am only playing with a two cup batch of lube.
Old December 14, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
mrappe

Quote:
I'm happy with the traditional: 40% paraffin, 40% lamb tallow and 20% beeswax.
Where do you get the lamb tallow.
Old December 14, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5
zippy13

I wonder if you got the same lanolin stuff as I did: I bought some DAX on eBay, the label said in bold letters "100% Pure LANOLIN." After it was delivered, with jar in hand, I could see the small print, before the bold, added "Composed with." The stuff was a typical "hair goo" emulsion. At one time Dixie Gun Works sold tallow; but, it's no longer listed at their web site. I don't know if it's out of stock or discontinued. Perhaps a little paraffin (canning wax) will stiffen-up your lube. As long as your beeswax is least 1/5 of the mix, you'll probably be fine.

You said your cookies are very sticky, I'd call mine tacky. They'll stick to your finger tip (unlike the dry wonder wads) which aids loading, but leave your finger dry. If I squeeze some into a clump, they'll stay together, but separate easily.

What material are you using for your wads? My first try was with felt weatherstripping from the local home center, it turned out to be made from synthetic fibers and was a disaster. Now I get dense wool felt from durofelt.com.

Humm… I just had a thought: When you said "Grease cookies" I thought you were talking about home made lubricated felt wads. Is that what you mean, or are you making Wonder wad replacements that are 100% lube without any felt?
Old December 14, 2010, 01:30 PM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrape
Where do you get the lamb tallow.
I'd anticipated getting tallow from Dixie Gun Works, but struck out. With a google search, I found an area meat market that does custom butchering. A week after the annual county fair's animal auction, they were able to provide several pounds of lamb suet. Rendered the suet into tallow over the kitchen stove. Now I have a few pints of tallow for a fraction of Dixie's price.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:55 PM   #7
mrappe

I have been wanting to do the same thing but i haven't been able to find a source of lamb suet here locally.
Old December 14, 2010, 07:37 PM   #8
zippy13

Since my last, I heard from Dixie GW: "We have been out of stock on the mutton tallow for a very long time and have not been able to locate a new supplier."

Is there an active FFA or 4-H program in your area where the kids raise critters for show and auction? I'd about given up in my quest for lamb suet. Then, I ran across an ad for a local restaurant/meat-market that made a reference to custom butchering. I contacted them and was told they usually had lambs after the local fair's livestock auction. I waited until after the fair, and they came through.