The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 18, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Gary Slider

WV/NM and PA/Maine Sign Agreements. TX,. NC and H.R. 822 Updates

Pennsylvania and Maine have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. Maine signed with Michigan just over a week ago. If Maine will sign with PA they will sign with just about anyone. I look for more from Maine in the future.
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

West Virginia and New Mexico have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. New Mexico DPS has made a 180 degree turn and is working hard to get as many states as they can to honor their Permit/License. They have also updated their website with reasons why they will not honor some states.
http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/

Come 12/1/11 NC will honor all other states Permit/Licenses to Carry. They also will remove Financial Institutions from the list of places in State Law that are Off Limits to those with a valid Permit/License. On 12/1 those with a valid Permit/License can carry in State Parks, St/National Forests and Fishing Reservations. They will also have a limited Parking Lot Storage Law. Places that serve alcohol are still off limits. NC RKBA’s Orgs will be working on Restaurant Carry in the next State Legislature Session. The NC Page at Handgunlaw.us will be updated on 12/1 to reflect these changes in NC Law.

Railroad Commission of Texas has changed their policy about firearms on their property. Employees and those with a valid Permit/License to Carry can now carry on their property and in their buildings. Yes their buildings. They will even let their employees carry while working even if they drive a Railroad Commission Vehicle. More states need to do this. Here is a new release by the Railroad Commission of Texas:
http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/commissio...ess/110811.php

HR 822 ( National Reciprocity) passed and is awaiting work by the Senate. This could be next week or next year. I do not believe Mr. Reid will be to quick in placing it on the agenda. This will be very interesting to watch as the Dems do not want to have anything to do with firearms. It has cost them dearly in the past and they know it. Seven Dem Senators are from states that honor all other states permit/licenses and if they vote against it they are voting not against keeping guns out of their state but from keeping their constitutes from carrying in other states. It will be interesting. If it passes will Obama Veto it? That would be very interesting also. Only time will tell.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...112hr822eh.pdf

Also Eric Crist of Minnesota has come onboard at Handgunlaw.us He is another RKBA’s/Computer guy and has a lot of great ideas on making the site respond faster and some improvements on what we have now. You will see very few changes in the layout and no changes in the information on the site but there will be improvements in the future.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
jgcoastie

Quote:
HR 822 ( National Reciprocity) passed and is awaiting work by the Senate. This could be next week or next year. I do not believe Mr. Reid will be to quick in placing it on the agenda.
I wouldn't shortchange ourselves where Sen. Reid is concerned... IIRC, the NRA backs him in his re-election campaigns due to his pro-2ndA stance, which is all the NRA takes into account when backing a candidate... And rightly so.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Gary Slider

I believe Reid will slow things up not for himself but to protect his fellow Dems in the Senate who don't want to vote either way on this issue. The Dems don't want to have anything to do with firearms right now. It cost them dearly in the past and things are not looking great for them come Nov. 2012.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Don P

Hope they let it stall and die right where it is. Last thing we need is the fed involved in CC. All the boarder line states have to do is rescind CC permits and say no to CC and H.B. 822 is a mute point and also SCOTUS goes by the way side.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
C0untZer0

Every congressman or congresswoman who opposed the fed reciprocity bill must just grit their teeth every time this happens
Old November 18, 2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

RATZ!

I saw Maine & Pennsylvania and got my hopes up, but it's resident permits only. I was hoping my PA license would make me legal in Maine. I guess I'll just have to apply there. (Unless by some miracle H.R. 822 makes it into law.)
Old November 18, 2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Gary Slider

I don't know where Maine is getting Resident Permits Only. But we have to go with what they say. As you can see it is the Chief of the State Police who must have made that decision. Here is their law.

Title 25: INTERNAL SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY
Part 5: PUBLIC SAFETY
Chapter 252: PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS
§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon

A firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued by another state if a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued from that state has been granted reciprocity. The Chief of the State Police may enter into reciprocity agreements with any other states that meet the requirements of this paragraph. Reciprocity may be granted to a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued from another state if:
(1) The other state that issued the permit to carry a concealed firearm has substantially equivalent or stricter requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm; and
(2) The other state that issued the permit to carry a concealed firearm observes the same rules of reciprocity regarding a person issued a permit to carry a concealed firearm under this chapter; [2011, c. 394, §3 (AMD); 2011, c. 396, §2 (AMD).]
Old November 18, 2011, 06:44 PM   #8
jason_iowa

Not a chance that Obama would veto it.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Aguila,

Maine is a piece of cake. And they are quick to issue nonresident permits. No finger prints, not much of anything, really. Just fill out the form, allow them to check their own mental health facilities records to ensure you have not had a stay and pay the small fee. Now Massachusetts is the real problem....
Old November 18, 2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Massachusetts is no problem at all. My grandparents never owned a home in Massachusetts and I have no family ties in Massachusetts. Massachusetts lies between me and Maine, so I can deal with unloading and carrying the pistol in a locked case for the length of the Massachusetts Turnpike, in accordance with the FOPA and Massachusetts state law.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:28 AM   #11
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Yeah, but getting a permit is from Mass is tough. It costs $100 a year, you need to be interviewed in person every year and they apparently take the "may issue" very seriously. I have family in Mass, not Maine, so I can't carry when I visit and FOPA doesn't help me out there.
Old November 19, 2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Getting a MA permit isn't that difficult (it's easier than for residents), but the $100 per year is "off-putting." You need it -- I don't. I'll take the chance that I am unlikely to be attacked by zombie hordes while transiting the MA Turnpike en route to Maine.

It's very sad that the birthplace of the American Revolution and the Minutemen has sunk so low with respect to observance of the 2nd Amendment. MA is one of the very few original states whose state constitution does not treat the RKBA as an individual right. Their constitution provides for the bearing of arms only for the defense of the commonwealth.

Disgusting.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:27 AM   #13
C0untZer0

$100 per year is something else. I guess it's a small price to pay if you consider it's your life at stake.

On the other hand in 6 years that's the cost of a new gun.

Probably a lot of people who could go their whole lives without needing it - 4 or 5 thousand bucks shelled out to the state.

I hope Illinois doesn't tack on a $100 fee for their CCW (when we get it)
Old November 20, 2011, 07:19 PM   #14
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I could pay the $100. It's irritating and exorbitant but I would pay it. The problem is that I am not going to go through all the effort to get it for one year, then have to drive back up to Chelsea every year to be "re-interviewed". I hate Boston and the whole 128 corridor and I just don't have the time to give up a day every year for their stupid permit. But it is the primary reason I avoid MA if I can, unless I have to see family. I'll do my shopping in CT and RI.
Old November 22, 2011, 01:50 AM   #15
bitttorrrent

Sounds like a pain and I hope IL doesn't get any stupid ideas about 100 per year. They get enough of fines and fees etc. from us living here.

However, if that is what it took to get a ccw here, then bring it on and they can use the money to balance their budget.

I think my 2.5yr old son could do a better job with Il budget by just punching numbers on my computer. A sea of idiots wasting our money with every stroke.