The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Beartrak

T/C Grey Hawk .54

HELP!!! HELP!!!

Primative Arms season opens Sat, 10-24-09. My T/C Grey Hawk grouped about 3 inches high at 100 yds last season. It never shot a deer.
THIS YEAR!!! It's printing all over the place! It won't even shoot consistently at 25 yards!!!!
Both front and rear sights seem (?) sufficiently tight to exclude a loose front sight (dovetailed) or rear sight (screwed to bbl) to cause problem!
Anybody got any ideas!?
Old October 19, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Pahoo

Gees, if this was mine, I'd give it a good cleaning, start all over and go back to the basics. The praticals is keeping everything consistant and the particulars are working up my hunting shot string. Now that is easy for me to say especially when facing the upcoming season. If you get back to the elevation issue, consider a Peep sight as I think this would still qualify. Did one of these a few years back, out west and it worked great. I'm assuming that your muzzle is in good shape and you know what that gets you ...

Be Safe !!!
Old October 19, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Beartrak

I got started burning charcoal back about '73 - '74. The fella that got me started was a "smithy". More of a fixer than a repairman, but could still get the job done. I learned quite a bit from him but still don't consider myself a 'smith!
Here's some of the things I've checked.
Front sight: tight in dovetail
Rear sight: tight to barrel. elevation is spring loaded, screw retained that pivots on a rolled pin. The rolled pin is snug in place and doesn't seem to allow rear sight to drift right/left without significant pressure and then, only very slight. always seems (?) to return to proper location
Crown: appears clean to sight, touch and some magnification
Powder charge: 90 grs FFFg. each charge measured
Ignition: Rem No. 11 percussion cap
Stock: no discernable cracks, breakage or gaps
Barrel key: snug in place. must be tapped to full "seat" with ball starter
Barrel escutcheons: tight, no missing screws
Barrel: scrubbed with CVA "Sabot Shooters Solvent", brass 20 ga. brush then lubed with T/C Bore Butter
Load: 90 gr. GOEX FFFg, 240 gr .429 FN Beeman bullet in .54 MMP Sabot (this is the same load used last year that produced 4 inch groups at 100 yards!) same lot of bullets and sabots.
What else can I check?
Old October 20, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Beartrak

Finally got it going. Had to reduce powder charge and increase bullet weight. Now everything appears okay!