The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2001, 07:05 PM   #1
M1 grand man

303 British problems

the neck is to big for the bullet what do i do
Old August 27, 2001, 07:44 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

M1 grand man - - -

(Been meaning to ask: does screen name mean, like, "great guy," or tie in with M1, as in John Garand?)

Anyway---Are you using the .311 bullets, which are normally the proper diameter for .303 British?

Or, possibly, using .308 " bullets for some reason? I'm told that some sporting rifles chambered for this ctg do best with smaller diameter bullets. If the latter is the case, and you are using proper .303 Brit dies, the expander plug would be too large for the .308 dia. bullets. You can buy a different diameter expander plug, proper for the smaller bullets.

If the former is the case, you probably need to go to your favorite loading component source with your caliper in hand, and measure YOUR expander ball, and then the one in a new set of dies, and see it they are the same. If not, you might need to buy a smaller one, or get the current one turned down by a gunsmith or machine shop. I'd imagine it'd be less expensive to buy/order another one, because machinists' time is not cheap.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 27, 2001, 08:20 PM   #3
M1 grand man

i am using 311 bullets
Old August 27, 2001, 11:15 PM   #4
Big Bunny

.303 problems

I would say that first you need to 'slug' your smle [or whatever.303 - I assume 'British' not 'Savage' etc] - as we have them from .310"to .316"down here !

Have you full-sized the cases properly?
Is the brass thick enough and in good condition? Some is very thick indeed for the .303 Br.
(Do not use ex-mil cases with corrosive primers -unless of course they are fully neutralised very soon after use).

Are your dies in new or in good condition?

What is the diam of the ball expander - through use of a caliper? It should be about .310".

You say the projectiles are .311 OK -well how about casting your own in lino lead to fit your barrel +1 thou - if all else fails this can give you years of use and a more accurate rifle too.
We do not know yet if your .311 projectile is right for your ".303" barrel [let alone the case], it may be undersized or oversized, who knows - unless you try?

As a guess -the cases sound to me to be the problem -IMHO.

Let us know how you go at TFL.

BB
Old August 27, 2001, 11:20 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oversize expander plug seems best bet

Perhaps your dies accidentally ended up with expander for .321" (.32 Winchester Special) or .323" (8mm) and needs replacement or turning to smaller diameter.

That's about the only thing that comes to mind.

Good luck - -
Johnny