The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 23, 2012, 08:46 PM   #1
J2.

Carry Rifle?

I live in Ohio, I do have a CCW and would like to keep a rifle handy in my truck. Is it against the state law to carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle? Thanks in advance, J2

Last edited by J2.; May 25, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/ohio-...zines-car.html

Hope this helps.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

you can not have a loaded rifle OR loaded magazine in your vehicle in Ohio.
The exception being a pistol IFF you have a CCW.
BFA, OFCC, and others are working to fix this now. Bill looks to be on target to pass this year, but not law yet.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Stressfire

what john said

Loaded rifles and shotguns are a no-no, not to say that every redneck with a 12 in the gun rack keeps it unloaded
Old May 24, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
J2.

Thank you for the help.
So if I carry my 30-30 in the cab and keep ammo in the back I'm OK?
What about ammo where the gun is?
I just want to be safe!
Old May 24, 2012, 03:56 PM   #6
MLeake

Edit: Since you have a carry permit, keep a loaded handgun with you.

Any situation that would allow you to retrieve the ammo and load the rifle is a fairly slow-developing situation, and one that you should in theory be able to escape - given that you are in a vehicle.

OTOH, if you break down somewhere, you could load the rifle while you wait for help, I suppose.

But if you were run off the road and your vehicle disabled, I can't see you having time or wherewithal to get ammo and load up. If your handgun can't buy you time to retrieve and load the rifle, you weren't going to get the rifle into action anyway.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
J2.

Clarification: I would like to carry both!
Old May 24, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
JN01

There is an exception. You may have a loaded en-bloc (Garand) or stripper clip (SKS) in the vehicle with the rifle, as long as they are not inserted into the gun. No other type of long gun magazine may be loaded, however. Oh, and if you have a Glock, no happy sticks. Any centerfire firearm using a magazine that holds over 30 rounds is considered a machine gun by the State of Ohio.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Stressfire

There is some leeway with regard to trucks, usually behind the seat is acceptable due to the lack of a trunk. But as JN01 said, box magazines for rifles or other long guns cannot be loaded. Pretty much same rules as a non-ccw holder would have for a pistol - ie, gun unloaded and encased, ammo in a separate compartment, etc & so forth.

Quote:
Any centerfire firearm using a magazine that holds over 30 rounds is considered a machine gun by the State of Ohio.
Was most definitely not aware of that! Any idea where a citation for that might be found?
Old May 28, 2012, 06:45 AM   #10
J2.

Thank you for the help guys.
J2
Old May 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Was most definitely not aware of that! Any idea where a citation for that might be found?

You might try the Ohio Revised Code. 2923.11 (E)

If you live in a state, you should be aware of it's laws.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:00 PM   #12
JN01

2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:

(A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

(B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.

(2) When determining whether a firearm is capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant, the trier of fact may rely upon circumstantial evidence, including, but not limited to, the representations and actions of the individual exercising control over the firearm.

(C) “Handgun” means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.

(D) “Semi-automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a single cartridge and automatically chamber a succeeding cartridge ready to fire, with a single function of the trigger.

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Stressfire

Well go figure.

I suspect I may have been aware of that way back somewhere in my subconscious. It's been awhile since I took a firearms class.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:07 AM   #14
jason_iowa

We can in Iowa. Anything that's legal to own can be kept loaded in your vehicle.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:32 PM   #15
J2.

Iowa you say. HHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:30 AM   #16
johnwilliamson062

$50/ 5 year, or as you sheriff decides, you can have a destructive ordnance permit and 30+ mags. It should be noted, guns designed to be belt fed also fall under this restriction.

I hope BFA and OFCC tackle this next, although I should have a permit in a few weeks, so it won't affect me much for a few years.
Old June 19, 2012, 10:31 AM   #17
bk688

Look for the lue poles.

Illinois does not allow concealed carry. I get around this the best I can by keeping my side arm in my truck (I make sure my truck doesnt appear to be worth breaking into). I just follow the laws describing how to legally transport a weapon via vehicle. It doesn't exactly make for lightning speed if I'd ever need it, but its better than nothing. In this case the laws are the same for pistols and long guns. Heck, all I have to do to transport my AR is unload it and dismantle it to a "non-firing state" (shotgun style). It takes a full 5 seconds to put it back together and load it.

I'd look into that if you don't have any other choices.