The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
CheckmateMD

Mossberg 930SPX - Gas Piston HELP

I disassembled the gas piston on a brand new Mossberg 930spx for cleaning. Now I cannot reassemble the spring mechanism. Is there a trick to this or a special tool? Should this only be performed at an authorized Product Service Center or by a qualified gunsmith?
Old December 25, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

I'm guessing you mean the recoil shock spring on the opposite side of the barrel lug from the gas piston....

You will either need to use a couple of C-Clamps or a vice and gently compress the spring back together while you're turning the collar to re-engage the threads....

Don't feel bad, lots of folks have done this.... once.... the good thing is that you'll never need to take the spring apart after you get it back together.

Pull the piston and clean it real goon as far as the sprong just spray it down with cleaner scrub with a nylon brush then coat everything lightly with your favorite oil... You don't even "need" to do that.

Good Luck and post back....

Merry Christmas !!!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 26, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
CheckmateMD

I understand the concept of what you have described, but with the tolerance between the width of the spring, and the collar so tight, I am having difficulty getting an edge on the spring to compress with the C-clamps. Is there anything you put in the center of the spring to assist compressing with a C-Clamp? Once the collar is threaded, I am assuming it will be difficult to remove the clamps or any device due to the pressure from the spring.

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:21 AM   #4
CheckmateMD

Also, there is a small seal ring that goes behind the spring. Does the angled surface face outward toward the spring, or inward towards the gas piston?
Old December 26, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Smitty in CT

sorry, if I wasn't clear...

Yo need to install the spring and put the collar in place and use the c-clamps or vice to gently compress the collar and the spring at the same time in order to get the threads close enough to re-engage.

I used two pieces of cardboard on the metal to avaoid scratches....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 26, 2009, 11:45 AM   #6
CheckmateMD

Any thoughts on the small seal ring with angled surface? Thanks Smitty, much appreciated.
Old December 26, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
CheckmateMD

Now I have bigger problems Smitty.

I got the recoil shock spring all back together with a vice and cardboard. That was relatively easy once I figured it out. Now the trigger mechanism is not working properly.?.?.? I have no idea.....The gun will not dry fire and pass the safety function tests. The bolt action works and locks in place, but will not dry fire with the safety off.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Smitty in CT

[quote="CheckmateMD"Any thoughts on the small seal ring with angled surface?[/quote]
Glad to see you've got the spring back together....

When you took the piston out it should have come out like this...

Did you take the piston itself apart??? You don't really need to take this apart for cleaning....

Old December 27, 2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckmateMD
...The gun will not dry fire and pass the safety function tests. The bolt action works and locks in place, but will not dry fire with the safety off...
Sounds like the trigger group isn't put back together right...

With the bolt forward, knock out the two trigger group pins, it should come out looking like this:

To release the hammer place your hand firmly over the hammer and pull the trigger, as you lift your hand the hammer should come forward:

With the hammer all the way forward you can turn the trigger group over to get to the hammer spring and cocking indicator:

Re-assemble in the reverse order....

After you have it back together, pull the bolt back until it locks, then press the bolt release button. When the bolt is released forward, the "cocking indicator" should be visible in the trigger guard and you can "feel" the nub....

Last edited by Smitty in CT; December 27, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 04:42 PM   #10
CheckmateMD

Smitty, you are the MAN!. You hit the nail on the head exactly. Everything is back together and working perfectly.

Thank you for the pictures and all the advice. This was extremely helpful!
Old December 27, 2009, 05:24 PM   #11
Smitty in CT

To get out there and try and wear it out!!!

Don't forget to post back and let us know how it's working.....