The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 23, 2001, 08:54 PM   #1
Old Jules

Anybody out there shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette? I'm shooting a Browning BPCR 45-70 and have just started casting bullets for it. 535 gr. modified "Postell"- NEI 349c. With Swiss 1.5 and the heavy bullet it is shooting good but could stand a little more development. Anyone shooting long range?

Bill a.k.a. "old Jules"
Old January 24, 2001, 10:03 AM   #2
Rob01

Bill, How do you like the BPCR? How about the sights? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure if I want the 45-70 or the 40-65. Sorry I can't help you on your load. I'm just getting into BPCR myself. I picked up the Browning the other day and it felt real nice in the hand. What kind of grouips are you getting? Thanks.

Rob
Old January 24, 2001, 02:37 PM   #3
Old Jules

Rob,
I like the BPCR very much. I've had it about a year but have just recently begun shooting BP in it. I have learned alot but have much more to go. The sights work well for me but I have nothing to compare it to. From what I hear they are a middle price/quality type of sight. Not as nice as MVA or Baldwin but much better than what comes on the Italian imports. As I posted earlier, I am just starting developing a load with the 349c and Swiss powder. So far I am happy with the groups I am getting, 3" high and 4" wide at 200 yrds. That is by far the best group I have gotten using several different bullets and Goex FF. As far as caliber goes.... If you are recoil sensitive you might want to go with the 40-65. If you can take a little recoil the 45-70 is hard to beat. From what I have found, the Brownings' 1:18 twist needs a heavy bullet to be accurate with BP. It needs a bullet in the 500 to 540 gr. range. The 40-65 will need a bullet in the 400 to 420 gr. range. NEI makes some very good moulds for both calibers. Hope this helps.

Bill a.k.a. "Old Jules"
Old January 24, 2001, 05:55 PM   #4
Rob01

Bill thanks for all the info. I have a Sharps in 45-70 now and the recoil isn't much of a problem so maybe I'll go with the 45-70. I was thinking about the 40-65 but since i already load for the 45-70 I won't have anymore cost than just the rifle. Thanks again.
Old January 25, 2001, 12:32 AM   #5
handgun357

I thought about getting bpcr also, but do not know where to start. I'd like to shoot one first to see if I'll like it.