The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2002, 10:42 PM   #1
jakester

Colt Replicas - Who's Who

I have been doing my background research into Cowboy Shooting. Now I am very confused at all the "Brands" of replica Colt 1860's and Colt 1873 SA revolvers out there. Besides going back to the original Colt's for the 1873 models, which company is offering the best value of quality vs. price? I have looked at the web pages for Uberi, Navy Arms, EMF, Colt, Cabelas, Traditions, AWA, and a few others...boy I'm I confused! Anyone have any experience with EMF? They stated on their web page that the Colt 1873 Hartford model is made by Uberti. From what I have heard, Uberti is making some of the best today.
Old May 12, 2002, 11:20 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Most are Ubertis.

AWA bought out Armi San Marco and is only selling those Italian clones under their own brand. Cimarron and EMF used to sell ASM guns but went to Uberti when AWA sewed up ASM.
US Firearms, Inc. started out assembling Italian parts in the old Colt building "under the dome" but now say all their stuff is either made in house or US procurement.
Cimarron, EMF, Navy, Taylor, Cabela's, Traditions, etc., are all now Ubertis as far as I know. As, of course, is Uberti USA.
Details vary, I have heard it said that EMF Hartford Premiers are finished by Doug Turnbull and that he is doing Colt's case hardening, too.

The EAA Bounty Hunter is made in Germany by Weirauch, but is different enough I don't consider it a faithful clone.

I have seen Colt accused of having the Cowboy or its major parts made overseas; the Czech Republic, maybe, but that is only at rumor range now.

By the way, Beretta now owns Uberti. Maybe they have put some of their own people in to watch quality; it does seem to be getting better.
Old May 13, 2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Wildwilley

All different

I make grips, (Ivory, Im-ivory, horn, etc.) for all these replicas.
They are all different.
I tend to like the work on the Navy Arms pieces.
The EMF's are stiff and slow. With a little work they can work out fine. The same is true with the other manufactures including Navy Arms.
Cimmaron Arms, were already worked over and seemed to come out of the box just fine.
What I've found is that nothing matches any time. No piece fits exactly when being replaced or repaired.
You takes your chances with all of them. Except Colt...
But you pay through the nose for that.
Old May 13, 2002, 02:36 PM   #4
sjc1

Of course there is the Colt Single Action Army.
U.S. Firearms does make a nice single action army in the old Colt building. To my knowledge it is now made all in house.
I am not familiar with the other makers. If it isn't made in the U.S.A. I will not buy it.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:39 AM   #5
Mike Weber

CAS Revolvers

I shoot Navy Arms 1860 and 1851 Revolvers and am very happy with them. The Cimmaron guns that I have seen apeared to have very good fit and finish to them. A friend has a Cimmaron Colt SAA clone and is very pleased with it. I shoot Rugers myself so I don't compare them with SAA clones. I've seen a lot of improvement on Uberti quality over the years. Wild Willie you mentioned that you make grips, I was wondering if you make any Antler grips I have been thinking of outfitting my Rugers with them? I make gunleather myself.
Old May 14, 2002, 06:16 PM   #6
Wildwilley

Grips

If I can get larger stag I'll make them.
Sometimes elk works...
The problem with stag is the finish.
Large deep running channels may cause abuse to the softer parts of your hand. The same problem as deep pointed checkering.
To smooth a grip just doesn't work, because it may get a little slippery. Seen it happen in compitition.
If I make a nice set of grips that I like, it might be to rough for you. Your best bet is to get Eagle or Ajax.
If the grips don't suit you you can send em back.
I don't turn down any work. But, in this case it might be better for ya.
Now if ya want the finest scrimshawed ivory or im-ivory grips... I'm your man.
Old May 14, 2002, 06:40 PM   #7
Mike Weber

I agree with everything you've said about antler Wild Willie. Good elk antler slabs are hard to get even here in the northwest where I live. Ones that are big enough for a set of SA slabs that is. I'm still looking for a good slab to finish up a Bowie knife that I'm making. I may be interested in a set of ivory or scrimshawed ivory slabs for another one of my revolvers in the future though. I'll keep you in mind. Right now I'm in the process of dressing up a pair of Ruger Blackhawks, new steel gripframes and new grip slabs also reblueing them.
Old May 15, 2002, 10:22 PM   #8
Big Hext

Moose antler?

Howdy all,

For you grip knowing folks. What about Moose antler?
Way I hear it from those that hunt them is that many immature bulls are killed for meat. Even these bulls have big palmatted antlers that would make more than a few grips.

You're getting the right information about the Uberti/ASM differences. As a Texas boy, I'm partial to Cimarron.

I've heard that the new Uberti factory will come online this year. The summer months may be a bit light in product, but the annual production will be the same.
Old May 15, 2002, 11:19 PM   #9
Mike Weber

Moose Antlers

Howdy Big Hext:
Welcome to the BB. You know I've never thought about using Moose antlers for grips. We have quite a bit of moose hunting in my area. Permit fees are pretty high here most hunters who bag a bull moose are looking to keep the antlers for a trophy. I don't think that I've ever seen moose antler for sale though. You are right moose antler probably has great potential for grip slabs. As to the Uberti's I'm sorta waiting to see what happens now that Beretta has taken over the company.
Old May 18, 2002, 07:34 PM   #10
Big Hext

Grips and Uberti

I've never hunted moose and I'm sure I'd be gunning for a big boy and would take any antlers home. Perhaps the commercial sale of elk has increased the opportunities for elk antler sales. In that vein, perhaps Axis or other exotics would be a potential source of "stag" grips.

As for Baretta/Uberti, I've learned to not hold my breath. I'm pleased and appreciative of the models produced, but I don't wait on the rumorguns anymore. I just buy what's available when I'm ready to buy.