The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2001, 01:19 AM   #1
bk40

I received the following email from a friend today. I don't know the answers to his questions but I know one of you guys do - any help would be most appreciated.

Quote:
I found a Benelli M1 Super 90 and unlike the ones that I usually find at the gunshows, this is made in Italy and has Heckler and Koch's name on it. What is the deal with this?? Is a Benelli an H&K?? It is also chambered for 3" shells and seems to be in good condition.

It has a 18.5" barrel, ghost ring sights, original manual, chokes, choke wrench and has an extension for 6+1 rnds.

Is there such a thing as a pre-ban shotgun?? If so what are the features that are allowed on it but is not on a postban.

And lastly, how much do you think is this thing worth.

please email me as soon as you are able since I need to decide soon whether I will buy it or not.
Old February 15, 2001, 08:25 AM   #2
Spatula

HK used to market Benelli shotgun here in the US, and they would have the HK name on the receiver. This changed around '98 (or '99?). Fabarm is the one under HK's name these day. What your friend saw was simply a pre-'98 gun.
To answer your second question, yes shotgun was on the AW list. Any shotgun can only have any two features after 94' : 1. Semi-auto action. 2. 5+ rds capacity. 3. Pistol grip. 4. Folding/collapsible stock. M1 is by default a semi, so you have little choice left. You mentioned that this particular gun has extension for 6+1 rd. Unless it's a pre-ban (call Benelli USA to make sure), it cannot have a pistol grip. One foot note, ATF says that the gun has to be that configuration before '94(although it's very hard to prove either way, go figure). It doesn't matter when the receiver was made. It’s still illegal to assemble a pre-ban receiver to pre-ban configuration. A real pre-ban M1 is around $800+ in good condition.

Old February 15, 2001, 07:02 PM   #3
hksigwalther

I think the main driving force behind Benelli and HK parting ways (on good terms) was Beretta's pending purchase of Benelli. Beretta and HK being direct competitors.
Old February 16, 2001, 12:35 AM   #4
bk40

Spatula, thanks for the info. Will pass along to my friend.
Old February 16, 2001, 01:02 AM   #5
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Another issue was HK primary focus is the "black nomex crowd" - miltary and police sales. Benelli didn't think HK was doing enough to market their shotguns to hunters and sportsmen. Basically, most of us were buying Benelli's despite HK's involvement (and markup) not because of it. -- Kernel