The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 14, 2012, 10:08 PM   #26
riomedinamike

A"part" equals a "material" - just my 2cents as an atty for 30 or so yrs. Your court may vary.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:32 PM   #27
ledcoldsteel

Thanks everyone for ya replies..seems either choice stag or bushmaster i cant go too wrong..But now i have a freind wispering in my ear to build my own AR.. Just what i needed something else to think about If i build my own I wanna stay under a grand...and would rather support a smaller bizz nizz ....but its very tempting just to go into DGS and pick up a bushy or the stag...but for the same amt of do re me ,Could i build a more reliable/accurate AR........so now that iam half crazy,maybe ill just go to the range with M1 garand and shoot that till i decide...thanks again to you all.........................
Old May 14, 2012, 10:59 PM   #28
Justice06RR

Is this your first AR?

if it is, my suggestion is to buy a complete rifle and learn its functionality, parts, and use. Add and modify and parts you want (aftermarket stocks, sights, etc). After you gain some knowledge of the AR, then go ahead and build your 2nd AR15.

Reason I say this is because without prior knowledge and tools of building an AR, you might be going in blind. Otherwise if you have experience with AR's then building one is a good way to go. Just my 2c.

on the original topic, I've owned a Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine and it was a great rifle. Can't say for the Stag since I've never owned one but they are generally good rifles also.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:50 PM   #29
Quentin2

I also think building is the better way to go and have done three now. Just finished one with a BCM LW midlength upper and pricewise you can do it in the ball park of a Stag or BM (not C-15). If you go with PSA or Spikes parts you can come in cheaper.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #30
ledcoldsteel

I went with the Stag model 3....To get my feet wet in the AR world...Hope my wallet stays dry,...I can see how this can get expensive fast...thanks all for replies and insight much apreciated
Old May 17, 2012, 06:19 AM   #31
Marquezj16

Congrats with your new rifle. Hope it's accurate and functions 100%. Go buy lots of ammo and up next should be your initial range report.