The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 14, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Preferred brand/load for trap

Hi,

As an handgun shooter, I know brand/load is a loaded question. However, I just purchased a mossberg 500 12 gauge for trap. In Dick's Sporting there were $6.99 boxes in a variety of brands and names.

Taking out "each gun and load is different," is there a load that is generally preferred over the others in same costs, same size, in the target loads?

Thanks!
Old March 14, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2
wnycollector

I shoot 1 1/8oz #8 12ga when I shoot trap. I prefer Estate or Federal Top Gun Target, but I have also had good luck with Remington Club Target.
Old March 15, 2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Bake

Used the pattern board, to see what works best in your shotgun. I like 1oz. of #8 that's on sale...
Old March 15, 2014, 07:25 PM   #4
BigJimP

1oz of 8's is all you need for Trap at 1200 fps.....shotguns are not as fussy on shells ...as rifles and some handguns are....

On the cheaper side....Estate, RIO, Remington Gun Club...are all fine...
Old March 15, 2014, 09:21 PM   #5
buckhorn_cortez

The problem with inexpensive shot shells is inconsistency from shot-to-shot which can be both velocity and pattern. The best shotgun shells have very consistent shot pellet size and the pellets have a high antimony content so they aren't as prone to deforming.

Low cost shells use whatever is available in components which may be wads made from recycled plastic, different powders from batch-to-batch, different primers, etc. All of that means the velocities aren't consistent making the patterns equally as variable.

After testing and shooting a variety of the low cost shells, I finally switched to B&P and find the difference remarkable. In chronographing shells, the velocity difference from 10 shells was a maximum of 5 feet per second.

I shoot the B&P Sporting Clay, 1 oz, #7.5 shot loads. You can get them directly from B&P, Cabelas, Aerostar Outdoors, and several other on-line sources.

They are a bit more expensive but the performance difference is noticeable.
Old March 16, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
BigJimP

Buckhorn is right about the quality of shells....and if I were shooting a big tournament, I shoot nothing other than factory new, Remington STS.../ and I will still shoot their 1oz load of 8's at around 1185 fps...( for Trap singles from the 16 yd line ...or even out to the 20 yd line)...

....but my assumption, since you're purchasing a pump gun ..is Trap is a new game to you ...and you're learning / and probably shooting Trap singles from the 16 yard line..( where all of us started ---- and I shot a pump gun for a long time at Trap and Skeet for that matter )...so the reality is, any shell will work just fine. Especially when you're learning - you don't need premium shells.

In my opinion....16 yd singles....can be shot with 9's or 8's ....even 7/8 oz of shot is plenty...1 oz is also fine - but you don't need that much shot ...and you sure do not need 1 1/8 oz shells...for 16 yd singles. ( when you earn your way back to or behind the 20 - 27 yd line, shells start making a difference in tournaments )

....and for 16 yd singles, I shoot a Modified choke

Work on your fundamentals....stance, gun mount, focus on target, make sure you follow thru on every shot..( pulling the trigger is the start of the shot - not the end of the shot )....and learn.../ keep a small pocket notebook on how you're doing...if or where you miss, which station..../ and self evaluate after every 4 rounds or 100 targets.../ don't just throw lead downrange...practice smart ( and shooting 4 good rounds of practice is better than 8 rds of just blasting away ).....and all of that is 99.9% of what makes up your scores !! ).... not which shells you pick...in my view...