The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Coated Bullets?

Does anybody have any experience with these coated bullets? I've never even heard of such a thing. I want to get the 148g DEWC's (Since Friendswood Bullet Co seems to have dropped off the face of the earth - along with my $83 order I never received). My goal isn't to load them up hot and treat like jacketed or even plated bullets - nothing like that. They're target bullets - I'm going to load them as such.

But the thought of not dealing with wax in my dies and all the smoke when shooting is appealing to me. But I'd like some opinions of this product before I commit to a thousand of them.

http://www.snscasting.com/coated-bullets/

Thanks!

Last edited by Nick_C_S; December 4, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old December 4, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
pete950

Just recived my order of 2000 of the148 gr coated from SNS today,
They look great. Per the guy at SNS the coating cuts the smoke down
By more than 70% going to load up a100 rds and try them sunday.
Old December 5, 2013, 05:51 AM   #3
ocd41911

I've been shooting SNS cast bullets for about a year and just tried the coated a couple of weeks ago. They shoot great with a lot less smoke. I like dealing with SNS, the quality is excellent, they are family owned and I have never waited longer than 2 weeks for an order.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
CS86

what kind of coating is it, and what are you guys seeing for accuracy comparison?
Old December 5, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5
jim8115

try these, I have shot thousands...

http://www.precisionbullets.com/home.htm
Old December 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
ocd41911

CS86, it's a baked on powder coating. As for accuracy of the coated V.S. cast I find no difference between the two. The difference is less smoke and no lube in the dies.
Old December 5, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

Coated Bullets?

Can anyone give a synopsis of the powder coated bullets? There are threads at Vast Boolits forum and seems all the rage but at 88 pages or more it is a lot to try to get at the beginning thoughts.

Apparently powder coating us a polymer coating not just paint, correct? As such it seems to be very tough, holding together even after target impact (sand or water)?

One question I have is, does this make lead bullets safer to shoot in polygonal rifled barrels such as Glock and HK?

Is this done on hardcast bullets (15+ BHN) or is the coating tough enough to allow softer alloy?

Are there any drawbacks to shooting powder coated versus plain lead and lube? Do they keave less fouling than lubed lead or jacketed? Any conditions they should not be used?

Is this a cosmetic fad or a new breakthrough in low cost lead bullets? Are they cheaper than plated (I would hope).
Old December 5, 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
jmorris

David never let anyone know what precision bullets are coated with.

SNS recently converted to the Hi-TEK coating, I have read. The same one I use, Donnie at Bayou bullets uses it too and also sells it to casters/swagers.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Well I bought 1000 of the 148g DEWC's. So we'll see how it goes.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:17 PM   #10
jonathon1289

I powder coat my own lead bullets. There are a few methods, but I use the colored powder and mix with lawyer thinner and tumble then dry the bullets. This way they don't always look the best but it is still effective. I know a couple guys who are using a true powder coat system and sprayer and the bullets look great.
Harbor Freight powder works about as well as any other brand.
No leading even at close to jacketed bullet velocities.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Beagle333

Coating is the future. No leading at high speeds using soft slugs. It's the way to go.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:23 AM   #12
jmorris

What coating are you using?
Old December 6, 2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Beagle333

This particular coating is TGIC polyester. 'Just your standard powdercoat paint. Sprayed on using an electrostatic air gun and baked, also just like anything else powdercoated.
It really makes them slippery!

there are threads about it in the casting section
Here's one^^^^
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #14
jonathon1289

Those look good Beagle. I am using the same type of powder from a PC company in the area, but i don't spray and bake so mine don't look as good. I tumble in powder/laquer and air dry (I do have a toaster oven and bake them sometimes but end result seems the same).
Old December 6, 2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

First class Beagle. First class.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Forrest68

Hey Nick, I am in the process of haven my credit card company charge back the sale to friendswood, Im' out just over 200 bucks til the CC company does its thing, its a pain but worth the effort. Good luck
Old December 6, 2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Forrest68, I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I really wish he'd just send the bullets - I'd rather have the lead than the bread
Old December 6, 2013, 10:10 PM   #18
skizzums

beagle, i would like to Pm you someday and have you walk me though the equipment and media i would need to start doing some of your awesome coatings. i am very interested in it for 38spls. they look great!!!
Old December 7, 2013, 05:41 PM   #19
jmorris

I tried powder coating back in march. The step by step is in this tread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...bullet+coating
Old December 7, 2013, 05:43 PM   #20
jmorris

I now use the hi-TEK coating because it coats the entire bullet, no need for any kind of gas check.

Step by step of that process is in this thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...bullet+coating
Old December 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #21
res45

Tried my hand at powder coating some TL bullets today after reading a few threads over at the Cast Boolits Forum, I got some powder from a friend that deals with a powder coating business just for asking.

I decided to go with heating the bullets to touch an tumbling them lightly fora few minutes in the powder before baking at 400 degrees for 20 min. My first small test batch turned out nicely I think although it's still a work in progress. Bullets pictured were sized after they cooled down.

We smashed a couple standing up and lying on there side to see what the coating did and none came off even when the bullet was flattened to the thickness of a nickel after repeated pounding.

Tried my hand at powder coating some TL bullets today after reading a few threads over at the Cast Boolits Forum, I got some powder from a friend that deals with a powder coating business just for asking.

I decided to go with heating the bullets to touch an tumbling them lightly fora few minutes in the powder before baking at 400 degrees for 20 min. My first small test batch turned out nicely I think although it's still a work in progress. Bullets pictured were sized after they cooled down.

We smashed a couple standing up and lying on there side to see what the coating did and none came off even when the bullet was flattened to the thickness of a nickel after repeated pounding.

Old December 7, 2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Forrest68

Trustme Nick , I REALLY wanted the bullets, not the money back, but at this point doubt the bullets woudl ever ship. I had ordered 3000, that was gonna tide me over for at least 6 months since we are coming into winter now. I'm bummed I've waited this lon and have to start all over again. Good luck
Old December 7, 2013, 11:12 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

Forrest68, let me know how it goes with your CC company. My order would have been just as big as yours had I not been a little tight on cash. By all accounts, Richard seemed to be an upstanding guy. I wonder what happened? Maybe I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe he just up and took off with a bunch of people's money.
Old December 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Forrest68

I just got my money back in my acct Nick , I started the process rigth after thanksgiving. I agree I have to assume something happened, Richard seemed like a real decent guy to deal with, but after a month of no responce after he said it was gonna ship? Seemed best to , take matters into my own hands and move on. Shame too, he had such a quality product, now the search for a replacement supplier . Good luck Nick

Update, recieved a letter today from the Credit card company, they said they have refunded my money(whch I already knew), due to the fact they were enable to contact the client(Friendswood/Richard) after repeated attempts. I really hope Richard is ok, but this doesn't sound good.

Last edited by Forrest68; December 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old December 10, 2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Nick_C_S

Just got these yesterday from SNS. They were very prompt with fulfilling my order. So far, my experience with SNS has been excellent.

Of course, I haven't loaded of shot these yet. But I am very confident they'll perform nicely.