The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
JazzDoc

Failure of slide to lock after emptying magazine

I took my brand new Sig Sauer P226R Elite (chambered for 9mm) to the range today. Loved it. BUT the slide never locked back after I'd spent the 15 rounds and emptied the mag.
Why would that be? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2
twhidd

The placement of the slide lock on Sig Sauer pistols sometimes causes that problem. If you shoot with your thumbs forward like I do, your thumb can contact the slide lock and prevent it from locking the slide.

I spoke to an ATF agent once who said many agents complain about that problem as well.

They're great guns otherwise.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
geetarman

Check your grip. It is an easy thing to allow your thumb to press against the slide lock.

I have several Sigs and I have done it on each of them.

HTH.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Captain H

Thumbs low my friend. Consiously make sure your thumb sits below the slide lock while shooting. After a while your muscle memory will kick in and you will not have issues.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Crankgrinder

like they all just said, watch the thumbs, a mag problem can cause that also.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
JazzDoc

Thanks a million, twhidd, geetarman, Captain H and Crankgrinder. I really appreciate your experience & insight!
Old October 4, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
golfnutrlv

If this happens on more than one new magazine, it is most likely your grip. If it seems confined to one magazine, MIGHT be the magazine.

My best friend has the same issue when he shoots my P226. I do not have this issue, as my thumbs are shorter, and my hands smaller overall.

Worst case, have someone else run the gun to find out for sure.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:46 AM   #8
thedudeabides

I'll keep repeating this... stiff recoil spring, heavy slide, new gun...

Was it 115 grain Wal-Mart ammo? Did the other brass fly 5-10 feet to the right, or did some just flop out at your feet?

I've had this happen with the more "heavy duty" 9's I've owned. The guns are meant to work reliably with ALL flavors of 9mm, including +P and NATO and less hot ammo types may not work right out of the box.

If you still have the problem after you've broken it in, then I'd get worried.

Last edited by thedudeabides; October 5, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:21 AM   #9
JazzDoc

Thanks, golfnutriv and thedudeabides! Appreciated! I'll give all these great suggestions a try this weekend.
Old October 5, 2012, 02:04 PM   #10
USMCGrunt

As they always say, check the cheapest problems first. If it's your grip, it costs you nothing to change it. If not, you might need a new magazine and see if that cures the problem. Besides, that way you get an extra magazine anyways so that's not a bad problem to have. I used to have an S&W99 in .45 ACP that had this sort of problem as well and I shoot with low thumbs so it was either the mags causing the problem or the pistol itself. Fortunately that pistol was such a dog in the accuracy, handling and controls department that it was just easier to sell it than buy more mags for that thing.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:01 PM   #11
JazzDoc

Makes sense, Marine! Thanks! I'll report back on all this after I hit the range over the weekend.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
drail

What is happening is the slide stop is not reaching the tab on the follower that raises the stop up. Nowdays it seems as though the guys making the magazines and the guys making the guns are on different planets. The factory should be checking stuff like this before they box up the gun, but you know the saying - time is money. Lock the slide open and then insert an empty mag. You should be able to see where the mag follower trips the slide stop. Hold the slide full back (mag still locked in) and depress the slide stop and then let it up. If the slide stop stays down you've found your problem. Buying a new mag may or may not solve it. The slide stop lug is simply a little too short. (or maybe you DO have stupid thumbs)
Old October 6, 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

What the first few posters said...Happens to me still to this day, and mine has been through hell and back with me. 4,000+ rounds. However!

I did have one Magazine out of my 5 that didn't lock back. I called SIG to tell them so and buy one..had my wallet out, she asked for my name, address, serial number..and said "Alright, It's on the way to you...should be there in about a week"

Swear, all I said was one of my magazines wasn't locking the slide back like it should.

Back to the slide release though. Happens to this day. One of my main guns but shoot so many of them on a regular basis that even though it's my most fired and my big hands don't help either mind you...I still nip that slide release here and there, mainly during drills and such.

This sucker has been on watch with me trust my life to it.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:58 AM   #14
Hal

Quote:
I took my brand new Sig Sauer P226R Elite (chambered for 9mm) to the range today
Did you clean it before you shot it?

My guess is probably not.

Not that I've never taken a new gun out of the box and right to the range.....
IIRC, I've probably done that w/every new gun I've ever bought....

Anyhow - things do seem to work better once the gun has been cleaned.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:41 AM   #15
JazzDoc

Thanks, fellers. My grip (left thumb) it was. Unfortunate place for the slide stop!

drail, that was a nice tip you gave me, even though it wasn't the mag's fault - thanks for the pearl!
Thanks, Constantine!
Actually, I did, Hal. But good thought.

Problem solved - thanks again, people.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:59 PM   #16
10mmAuto

If you're having that problem with other weapons, just hand cycle the weapon with an empty mag with your hands placed away from all control surfaces and see if it locks back. If it does, you're almost definitely the problem.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
JazzDoc

Thanks, 10mmAuto. It was just this new Sig, and it's all worked out now that I'm aware of the slide lock position. Everything is beautiful!