The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Garand bolt dragging.

The bolt in my Garand hangs up on the hammer when the rifle is fully assembled. If I swing the trigger guard down but leave the trigger in place the bolt moves freely. If I swing the trigger guard up close to where it will latch the action gets so tight the bolt won't move.

What do I need to do to correct this over tightness?
Old March 24, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Try this test first. Take the barreled action out of the stock. Attach the trigger group and close the guard. Does the bolt still hang up? If the bolt operates smoothly then the stock may be part of the problem.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 24, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Did what you said.

Bolt moves freely with stock removed.

What do I need to do to my stock? Sand it down somewhere? It is a new CMP stock.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Orlando

Can you describe more accuratly what is happening?
Happening with loaded enblocs or no enblocs/empty
When depressing the follower and letting go of the Op Rod does it stop and you then need to assist it to close? (totally normal)
If you can describe better what is going on we can help you
Old March 24, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The bolt does not touch the stock, so something else is probably interfering with the operation, probably the op rod. Use some kind of material like lamp black to see what is rubbing and where, then sand or scrape away the part of the stock that is binding. Don't file or grind on any of the metal, only on the stock.

Jim
Old March 24, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

It is doing this without being loaded. No round in the chamber, no Enbloc, nothing.

I can pull the bolt half way open and let go, it won't close on it's own. It won't move till I pull or push on it.

I can pull the bolt all the way open and push the follower down without fear of Garand thumb, the bolt doesn't move. If I give it a little bump it will close on it's own but it is sluggish. It will slide forward slowly.

When I move the op-rod I can feel something, like a roughness in it's movement. I am pretty sure it is the bolt dragging against the hammer.

...Now when I swing the trigger guard down but leave the trigger assembly in place the rifle behaves the way it should. Op-rod and bolt move freely. Bolt slams shut if I let the op-rod go half way back and when bump it forward after being drawn all the way back.

This pic shows how far the trigger guard must be swung down before the bolt will move freely. Also, I can't move the guard much further closed by hand. To close it I must put the rifle on the floor and push down pretty hard.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Orlando

That is a perfect spot for trigger guard to stop for tight lock up. Thats exactly what you want
Sounds like Op Rod is rubbing on the stock. I would pull the stock and look for rub marks on the inside of barrel channel.
Heres a write up I did a few years ago about working on Boyds/CMP stocks
It does not cover everything but will give you a idea what to look for

Heres a few things you can do to improve the function and accurcy of your commercial Boyds/Dupadge/CMP stocks
. These things sometimes also need addressed on USGI stocks

Your rear sight bottomed out and still shoots high? Check the barrel channel, its probably to narrow and is holding the barrel up out of position. Simply bevel the corners of the channel off to allow clearance and let the barrel drop into proper posiiton
I had also had a problem with the stock ferrule setting to high and the Op Rod rubbed on it. ,I carved out some of the wood with a utility knife until it set in the proper position

Problem solved? Not yet, I then had to fill in the area on the bottom since the ferrule set lower so it would stay in place when tightened
I taped off the stock, and applied paste wax to the ferrule for a release.
Then placed JB Weld to the bottom of where the ferrule sets on the stock, put ferrule in place and start to tighten the screw but not all they way

Problem fixed.
Next issue, although it isnt a big one is sometimes the Boyds needs to have a cutout where the firing pin/bolt would hit

Old March 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Orlando

Also may need alittle wood removed so the trigger clears when fired

If there is a small dent there the trigger is hitting and needs some wood removed

Now on to the next issue. Set action in stock and install/lock the trigger assembly. Looking from the side of the rifle there should be a very small amount of clearance approx 1 1/8 inch from where the back of the receiver sets up to the back of the receiver legs. Hold it up to the light will make it easier to see.

If your stock doesnt have this slight gap,wrap a piece of sandpaper around a block of wood and sand to proper clearance. Don’t need much

Also need to give the rifle the "Tilt Test"
This stock failed, you can see here where the Op Rod was rubbing slightly , remove wood as needed

Op Rod also rubbed inside pretty hard

Went to put her back together and found the nose of the rear handguard was to long and interfered with the front handguard, remove as needed

These are just a few things to check for on commercial Boyds stocks.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
NESHOOTER

Very nice assistance orlando
Old March 30, 2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

Much thanks to all three of you.

Orlando, those were great pictures. From the looks of the inside my stock, I have several places to do a bit of sanding.