The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2012, 10:42 PM   #26
dacaur

Quote:
The .380 is a semi-rimmed case with almost straight walls, whereas the 9mm is truly rimless and slightly tapered. The big difference here is how the cases were designed to headspace; the .380 on the rim (like .38 auto and .38 super auto) and the 9mm on the case mouth, like the .45acp.
Have you even seen a .380 in person? There is nothing rimmed about it, semi or otherwise. Its as rimless as any other rimless cartridge out there. It aught to be, since its basicaly a 78% copy of a .45acp. Both are rimless, and both headspace on the cartridge mouth (both, incidentally, designed by the same man, john browning)

Quote:
Since most if not all 380's are straight blowback,
Thats just silly to say since OBVIOUSLY not all .380s are straight blowback, just like not all 9mm's are delayed blowback, I can name 5 .380's just off the top of my head that use a delayed blowback system. (I can also name 3 9mm's that use straight blowback) In fact there are probably more delayed blowback .380s in production today than there are straight blowback.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Clark

The 32acp is semi rimmed.
Easy to confuse with a 380, just another wimpy little round.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 3, 2012, 04:09 PM   #28
dacaur

The difference in power between a 32 auto and a .380 acp is about the same as the difference between a .380 acp and 9mm..... Looking at pics is might be easy to confuse them, but holding the cartridges or cases in your hand the difference is obvious.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:56 PM   #29
oldnbroek

my senility rearing it's ugly head... I stand corrected.

Tags
.380 , 9mm .380