The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
under_dawg

30-30 Winchester trimmed too short?

I was recently given some 30-30 cases that were sized and trimmed. When I checked them, they measured 2.032 and some 2.034. I checked my Speer Manual, and it has 2.0395 max and Trim to length of 2.030. I'm kinda new to loading rifle ammo so I just wanted to make sure that as long as these cases are between 2.030 and 2.0395 that I'm good to go.
Old May 6, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Ruger4570

Sure, the neck length doesn't control anything other than bullet support and the preasure/friction to release the bullet. It is a rimmed cartridge so even a neck of an 1/8" would work. It is best for accuracy to have them all the same length though.
Old May 7, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3
30Cal

They should be good to go. The Max is what matters, but even that is somewhat arbitrary and ultimately depends on your particular chamber. Trimming a little under the trim-to length is no biggie. On occasion, I've had to do it intentionally (by 0.010") to get a particular bullet to feed well in a leveraction.

If they're too long, you will get an increase in pressure (bad). On a bolt gun, you'll feel it binding as you lock the action. You may not be able to feel that as well on a leveraction. If you keep them under the published max length, you should be fine.
Old May 8, 2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Sport45

Uniform length (+/- 0.002" is okay IMHO) is important for uniform crimping. A 30-30 for a tube-fed lever action should have the case crimped into the cannalure unless you are SURE you have enough neck tension to prevent setback. From what you've described I see no problem with your cases.