The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 1, 2005, 08:29 PM   #1
tokarevman

Anyone ever point shoot??

I am not shure what to call it but you hold the gun to your side and shoot at a target moving your body and look were you aiming and not down the gun? Some guys at the range were doing it this weekend and they talked me into trying it was realy fun, and i got prety good at it i was hitting the can about 6 out of 8 times and it was a blast.
Old February 1, 2005, 08:36 PM   #2
OBIWAN

My first handgun was a ruger single six (.22lr)with fixed sites

Shooting from the him was about as accurate as anything!
Old February 1, 2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Yes but it was part of another excersize

I had a good rig for a gold cup and I practiced fast draw, point and shoot
Started at 5 feet from the target and worked back to 15 feet, I was ok with what I did, but the one thing that I noticed was that it really helped with point shoting, and that was what the man said that showed me how.
He was some one that carried a gun and rode on Harry Trumans train.
Old February 1, 2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Dwight55

I am certainly no expert at doing so, . . . but you will find that a 1911 is one of the very best for this type of shooting. You don't shoot from the "hip" though, . . . it is where your hand comes to a stop as you straighten the lower half of your arm out as though you were pointing at your target with your trigger finger. If you are old enough to remember, . . . kinda like old James Arness did it at the beginning of Gunsmoke.

It's kinda fun, . . . but you can flat burn up some ammo playing with this.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 1, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5
BillCA

"Point shooting" used to be taught at the FBI and Border Patrol agency ranges until the introduction of the "Weaver stance" and other modern techniques.

Nothing wrong with learning to point shoot. Whether it's from the hip a-la an old west gunslinger, the old (arm over your heart) FBI crouch or simply an unaimed shot, knowing how to "point & click" on your target is a valuable skill.

For fun, turn a standard silhouette target around and draw the outline of it in black felt marker. Put a black dot in the X ring or use an orange sticky dot. Stand about 12-15 feet away. Draw & fire one round. Hold your weapon's position while you look at the hit. Think about the adjustment then do it on the next shot. Until satisfied, repeat. Try it at different ranges to see what happens.

Don't hurry it but don't take time to "try" to aim it either. The idea is to build a skill set where you can hit your target with good accuracy at up to 25 feet without needing to aim. Hitting an 8" pie plate at 25' consistently is good.
Old February 2, 2005, 12:04 AM   #6
bubbygator

Do a search here & on High Road - there's lots of expert opinion on both sides.

When my eyes started to age, I began point-shooting with an S&W 60. As most people say, it can be done well enough for 5-10 yard defense.

Now I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on all my guns & I'm good-to-go at 15 yards all day long with the laser - plus, I'm confident enough now with my laser shooting to use the iron sights even though they're blurry. You use whatever tools and techniques that work for you.
Old February 2, 2005, 06:33 AM   #7
tokarevman

cool thanks for the info, i can not wait to get to the range and do it some more.
Old February 5, 2005, 07:34 PM   #8
bergwerk

How about shooting skeet clays with a DA revolver drawn from the holster?
Old February 5, 2005, 08:07 PM   #9
tokarevman

Id try if i had a place to.
Old February 5, 2005, 08:10 PM   #10
Wynterbourne

Honestly, that's how I learned how to shoot. I swear, I think I was 15 before I learned that there was something called 'aiming'.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old February 5, 2005, 08:16 PM   #11
bergwerk

Quote:
Id try if i had a place to.
Prado Olympic range (SoCal) on days closed to the general public.
Old February 5, 2005, 09:01 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fun, fun, fun. Did I mention point shooting is fun?
Old February 5, 2005, 10:43 PM   #13
beenthere

Point shooting

That used to be "part" of our training regimen. It worked well at 10' and fairly well at 21' for me. After that I tended to get kind of eratic probably meaning I didn't spend enough time working on it.
Old February 17, 2005, 09:21 PM   #14
abelew

I think its a good skill for short ranges where accuracy needs to be sacrificed for speed of shots on target. A guy within 21 feet with a knife will be able to kill you before you can get your gun out of the holster. That kind of situation is where the necessity of point shooting is evident. Accuracy is paramount, but if you get stabbed looking down your sights looking for the perfect shot, the application of your firearm for self defence is moot, you would be better off using hand to hand (better chance you havent added another weapon to the fight that can be taken and used against you).
Old February 17, 2005, 11:39 PM   #15
Archie

If I may... (and you really can't stop me, anyway)

There are two, and possibly three different levels of 'point shooting'.

One is the hip shooting sort of thing. Gun is barely out of the holster, still near the waistline. This is sometimes called the 'retention' position, as the adversay cannot grab your gun very well. The downside is that accuracy is very short ranged, muzzle blast can impinge on your body (clothing) and face, and you can set yourself on fire. Supposedly, this is fastest way to get a shot off, but I have my doubts. I always see the shooter 'searching' with his pistol for an aiming point.

Two is 'point shoulder' - arms outstretched, both hands on gun, sort of looking over the sights and down the plane of the barrel or slide. This gets the muzzle blast and flame away from your body, gives much more directional control over the shots fired, and gives a greater feeling of security in the shooting. Downside is the gun is out to be grabbed, if the adversary is that close, and since the gun is at eye level anyway, why not aim and be sure of a hit?

The maybe third technique is the 'halfway' position. This is one-handed, with arm extended somewhat, but not up to eye level. This is the FBI crouch or "Gunsmoke" technique. Range is limited, but time to first shot is not much less than with an aimed shot.

In no event is there ever any need to fire more than two shots 'pointed'. By the time one gets to the third shot, enough time has elapsed to bring the gun to eye level and get a sight picture. Presuming one has sufficient light to obtain the sights.

Point shooting really comes into its own in semi-darkness. However, the best position for this is the 'point-shoulder' version I listed above as 'Two'. I've found in testing new shooters that once they learn to fire two handed aimed fire, removing the sights still allows a fair amount of accuracy from 'muscle memory'.

And yes, it is fun to blaze away in this manner.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 18, 2005, 01:11 AM   #16
Jungle Work

Only way to go at belly button ranges.

Jungle Work
Old February 18, 2005, 01:22 AM   #17
jem375

That was the way I was taught at my CC class and it works very well....7-10 yards point shoot, anything over use sights...........
Old February 18, 2005, 04:11 AM   #18
LAK

BillCA,

The Air Force was teaching a combination that included positions like the shoulder point and the old FBI crouch in the 1970s.
Old February 18, 2005, 03:54 PM   #19
PressCheck

Only at "bad breath" distance. I point shoot from a retention position.
Old February 18, 2005, 04:14 PM   #20
jerryd

Did it plenty of times in RVN, dont know if i hit anything but made alot of noise and sprayed alot of lesd!!! Like the above,poster said the 1911 is a natural for point shooting, but alot of indoor ranges frown upon the practice!
Old February 18, 2005, 06:44 PM   #21
abelew

The air force is not teaching any point shooting now (Was a Cop in the AF, and never got that bit of learnin') I got out last october, FWIW
Old February 18, 2005, 11:11 PM   #22
Rob Pincus

I teach it every day.. Combat Focus is what we call it.

-Rob
Old February 18, 2005, 11:18 PM   #23
abelew

I wish they would have, I think its great when empolyed under the right circumstanes
Old February 19, 2005, 01:12 AM   #24
Sweatnbullets

Rob, that's Vahalla right? I've trained with Richard S. many times.

Could I ask where you learned PSing and where does "Combat Focus" roots come from. I'm thinking about making the trip to Colorado to train with R.S. again and the "Combat Focus" course looked very interesting.

Thanks in advance
Old February 19, 2005, 06:30 AM   #25
Lion In Winter

"Combat Focus"? Brilliant! If you can get this term accepted as a descriptor of point shooting, we might well see a revival of interest in a time proven technique.

How long did you debate adding "Tactical" to the term before discarding it?(grin)

(Having re read the above, please understand that I am not being sarcastic. Many modern hobbyist defensive handgunners are, in my opinion, trend followers not free thinkers.)