The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Kframe

Huh? Is this real? NRA Pres. Keene Comments

I know a previous thread about the Newtown shooting was locked, and this thread isn't trying to get around that...

What I'm wondering is, is this statement in The Global Edition, reportedly by NRA president David Keene, real or a hoax?

http://www.theglobaledition.com/nra-...-just-ban-guns

(warning, there is a swear word in the article title, and to get to the link youhave to replace those asterisks with the F word)

That can't be real, right? Is TGE like The Onion?
Old December 15, 2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Kframe

In case that article is pulled down before you get a chance to read it, here's the full text:
(Many curse words in the piece which TFL automatically converts to asterisks)

Quote:
NRA: **** It, Lets Just Ban Guns

By NRA President David Keene

Fairfax, Va. (The Global Edition) – As president of the National Rifle Association, I’ve been the first to support the Second Amendment in even the most extreme cases. Following national tragedies in Columbine and Tucson, I rallied around gun rights, knowing that if I didn’t stand up for constitutional protections when it was hard then I didn’t deserve to take them for granted when it was easy.

But killing something like 20 kids at that elementary school in Connecticut? **** it, let’s do it: Let’s ban guns.I know I’ve defended private gun ownership after some pretty heinous acts, but this one takes the cake. I’m absolutely appalled that the guy who did this was able to acquire the guns legally and without issue. Seriously, nobody should be able to do that. What kind of sicko needs that kind of firepower?This demented **** shot a bunch of KIDS!!! Somebody needs to stop this kind of thing from happening again and I’m willing to do my part. As president of the NRA, I want to assure the American public that I will not rest until every gun has been rounded up and destroyed.

Congress should act now to wholly criminalize all forms of gun ownership, because did you see what these ****ing whack-jobs are doing with them!? Holy ****! Is everybody blind to how rampant, unchecked gun violence been tearing this country apart!? Who in their right minds thinks that hunting a deer or sharp-shooting at the range is ****ing worth this!? Not me, that’s for sure! And don’t give me that “tradition” crap either. You can stuff that “tradition” garbage or I’m going to have the NRA beat you over the head with your former gun, which we’ll be turning over to more responsible parties for proper disposal.

And it’s not just the guns themselves. No, it’s the whole culture of gun worship. For decades, we’ve been elevating gun owners to some Christ-like status, like you have to own a gun to be American. Or like owning a gun is the solution for every problem. What moron thinks like that!? If more people had a gun at that elementary school, there just would’ve been a shootout and more people would’ve gotten hurt or worse. We have to end this twisted firearm deification and start prioritizing people’s lives over property.

The only answer is to wipe guns off the face of the Earth, starting with here in the United States of America. Join me, fellow patriots, as we lead the NRA’s charge to replace guns with compassion. Together, we can eradicate this terrible scourge to our society.

Additional editing by TGE Correspondent David Ross
Old December 15, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Metal god

Well my guess is this will be closed soon cus thats got to be BS . He just quoted every anti gun argument out there like it was his own . And what's up with all the cusing It's got to be bogus .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 15, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

Use a little common sense. Look at the headlines for the rest of the articles.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Kframe

That's kinda what I figured, but I'm not familiar with that site so figured I'd ask.
Seems like libel.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Comancheseven

No way this is real. First he would not use that kind of language, Second he would not do a 360 degree turn around on the NRA's basic goal. This is some BS from some left wing nut job.
Dave
Old December 15, 2012, 05:03 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Its got to be a hack job. One paragraph of actual quote (maybe) and the rest an anti's ravings.

"Got the guns legally?" I doubt it. A 20yr old, legally getting a pair of pistols in NY or Conn? Not happening. OR at least not happening legally without him being checked and vetted by ALL the involved authorities, which are quite a few in those places. And if he passed all that, and still went wacko, does that mean the system is fatally flawed? Or just that inspite of all that can be done, evil still happens?

I swear, some days I begin to wonder if there really is such a thing as demonic posession....

Or maybe we're just seeing one result of an unstable individual, end of the year depression, poor economy, end of days (Mayan Calender?) belief? What ever the reason, the tools he used were not the cause. They never are.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Hal

Read the "about" on the site. Here's part:
About

Posted By The Global Edition On Sunday, June 10th, 2012 With 2 Comments

Theglobaledition.com is world’s most global news source. Information found on this website is so unique that it’s impossible to find it on any other website, unless someone copy-pastes it without our knowledge, in which case this sentence is totally unnecessary.

Sometimes we do use real events and names of people and/or institutions in our stories but only for satirical or parodical purposes

NRA quote is bogus & a lame (and pretty sick IMHO) attempt at satyr.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:12 AM   #9
thallub

The article was trash: Now its gone.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Hal

No - the link above in the OP is gone.
The article is still there as "front page news".

http://www.theglobaledition.com/

Pretty disgusting - IMHO...
Old December 15, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

1. It's a parody website.
  2. It's in horribly bad taste.
  3. We're not doing discussions of the Connecticut shooting.
Closed Thread